Most expensive guitar in the world (only production model) ?

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
Hey,

I wanted to know what was the most expensive guitar in the world, and I mean a production model (could be a ibby RG or Fender Strat, whatever) not a custom or a "it belonged to Hendrix".

I'm curious.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fender did some limited edition guitars that were made with certain famous artists (painters) that hit the $25,000 mark, but I wouldn't totally call them production as there were something like 10 made, and all were unique.

There are a few other limited editions from the "big guys" that hit close to that.

As for full on production, the top end is around $8k, but those are all pretty much custom made to the same standard as a full-spec, so not sure you'd consider those.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
The SRV Fender Relic was like 25k wasn't it? Or was that lenny. I guess it wasn't really a production model but just a limited run

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
I remember few years back Gibson had a Chet Akins in MF that was rocking the 40k price range..

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
I found some Gretsch White Falcon worth 10k (relic) but i'm not sure if that could count as a production model.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do Ken Parker archtops count? They run about the price of a new car.

Haven't less than a dozen been made? All custom as well from what I understand.

At $35k, they are high up on the list for builds in general. Then again, even "cheap" first-world, professional archtops are in the $6k+ range on average. :lol:

engage757

Banned
Reaction score

. Eric Clapton’s Gold Leaf Stratocaster: $455,550
Ordered by Eric Clapton in 1996, around the time Fender’s 50th anniversary. Clapton reportedly wanted something that could hang in a museum like the Louvre, and delivered with a Custom Fender Start, plated with 23K gold. Then go into production, becoming the company’s first signature guitar. Original sold at auction by Christie’s for an impressive $ 455,000 in 1997.

No?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
. Eric Clapton’s Gold Leaf Stratocaster: $455,550
Ordered by Eric Clapton in 1996, around the time Fender’s 50th anniversary. Clapton reportedly wanted something that could hang in a museum like the Louvre, and delivered with a Custom Fender Start, plated with 23K gold. Then go into production, becoming the company’s first signature guitar. Original sold at auction by Christie’s for an impressive $ 455,000 in 1997.

No?

The Eric Clapton Strat isn't worth that much, it's the guitar in particular that is. The Gold Leaf was by no means a production guitar with only one being made.

Fluxx

Reaction score
There's several actual '59 LP's that have traded hands for several hundred thousand dollars a pop. Most of the guitars that Phil X demos on Fretted Americanas youtube channel are well in excess of 25, 50, or even 100k. The aforementioned clapton black strat that went for a fortune, hendrix's woodstock strat, there's lots of crazy collector pieces for sure.

Zado

Reaction score
Not considering some Shishkov unique masterpieces (45K€) which cannot be considered production models,maybe a ESP Shinigami?

Fantomas

blah
Reaction score
There's several actual '59 LP's that have traded hands for several hundred thousand dollars a pop. Most of the guitars that Phil X demos on Fretted Americanas youtube channel are well in excess of 25, 50, or even 100k. The aforementioned clapton black strat that went for a fortune, hendrix's woodstock strat, there's lots of crazy collector pieces for sure.

Although those guitars aren't really my style ( and I wouldn't pay that for any guitar) , I can imagine people paying that kind of money if they believe the guitar has character because of its age or the combination of some nice woods.

People who pay that kind of money for a guitar just because a celebrity touched it are just clueless.

And Phil X is awesome, for those who haven't subscribed yet, go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTuvixQBQTg&feature=plcp&hd=1

Lots of lovely guitars there

speedy thrash

Random Canadian
Reaction score
'59 3 tone sunburst les paul standards in good condition can be worth $750 000, I heard about some one who sold theirs to buy their house.