Multi-Scale Set-up

GamesJibson

GamesJibson
Reaction score
Just a quick one for anyone with advise.

I've recently come into ownership of a multi-scale 7 string Jackson, 25.5" - 27" scale and straight out of the box there's loads of fret buzz and due to the current set-up, some form of dead fret nonsense going on. This was only made worse when tuning it to Drop G which is the tuning I play in with the band.

Does anyone have any advise on setting these kinds of guitars up or is it no different from your standard scale? Multi-scale is a bit new to me so I just want to make sure I'm doing it all right.

Cheers in advance!

lewis

Reaction score
Just a quick one for anyone with advise.

I've recently come into ownership of a multi-scale 7 string Jackson, 25.5" - 27" scale and straight out of the box there's loads of fret buzz and due to the current set-up, some form of dead fret nonsense going on. This was only made worse when tuning it to Drop G which is the tuning I play in with the band.

Does anyone have any advise on setting these kinds of guitars up or is it no different from your standard scale? Multi-scale is a bit new to me so I just want to make sure I'm doing it all right.

Cheers in advance!
have you checked the truss rod in relation to where the buzzing is?
Its exactly the same process as setup on a normal guitar, only thing that will differ is likely to be what gauges you now use.

I would check the relief and look at the actoin. If both those things get done and you still have issues, then the frets might need looking at. You may have some higher than others slightly which is what is causing the buzz.

GamesJibson

GamesJibson
Reaction score
have you checked the truss rod in relation to where the buzzing is?
Its exactly the same process as setup on a normal guitar, only thing that will differ is likely to be what gauges you now use.

I would check the relief and look at the actoin. If both those things get done and you still have issues, then the frets might need looking at. You may have some higher than others slightly which is what is causing the buzz.

Well at least that's a good thing that it's no different, I'm easily confused with new things!

I'll have to give it a full once over and see where I'm at, I have the feelings its going to be the relief more than anything however I do want to up the string gauge anyway.

Thanks for your help :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Latest posts