Multiscale with Evertune

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
The title says it all. Do you guys think that it's possible from technical side? I don't know much about this stuff but it would be a game changer. At least for me because I like multiscales better than standard guitars. Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Technically multiscale with any regular bridge is possible, and has been done. See the new Ormsby Rusty Cooley signature for example.
You could get some fanning at the bridge, rather than going totally straight. You'd want to find the furthest point back on the bass saddle, subtract necessary low string intonation from that, and use that against the furthest forward point of the treble saddle as your bridge angle. It would probably work out as a perpendicular fret position of say 24, rather than the bridge itself. That said it doesn't look the Evertune has very much room for extra travel beyond regular intonation. Test and measure.

I do recall hearing they are working on single saddle Evertune units. Should not be too much of a challenge for them as each string is already working independently. Just a case of housing them.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Wow I was not aware of the single saddles thing. I hope it will work out cus that would be just awesome. Thanks Tom :) Your picks changed and improved my right hand game so thanks for that too.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
Technically multiscale with any regular bridge is possible, and has been done. See the new Ormsby Rusty Cooley signature for example.
You could get some fanning at the bridge, rather than going totally straight. You'd want to find the furthest point back on the bass saddle, subtract necessary low string intonation from that, and use that against the furthest forward point of the treble saddle as your bridge angle. It would probably work out as a perpendicular fret position of say 24, rather than the bridge itself. That said it doesn't look the Evertune has very much room for extra travel beyond regular intonation. Test and measure.

I do recall hearing they are working on single saddle Evertune units. Should not be too much of a challenge for them as each string is already working independently. Just a case of housing them.
Are there any added benefits or downsides to having a regular bridge vs one designed for multiscale? Especially if the perp fret is at the 24th position.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Wow I was not aware of the single saddles thing. I hope it will work out cus that would be just awesome. Thanks Tom :) Your picks changed and improved my right hand game so thanks for that too.

Thanks! :)

Are there any added benefits or downsides to having a regular bridge vs one designed for multiscale? Especially if the perp fret is at the 24th position.

As long as the intonation points achieve the necessary angle, its all the same. Check out T4M tremolos for example - the standard and fanned are the same model - it just has a good amount of travel available.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Having the perpendicular point near or at the bridge is a problem as it angles your hand and wrist the wrong way on the higher frets.

concertjunkie

Reaction score
word on the street is that Ormsby guitars has a multi scale everyone guitar coming down the pipeline very soon... much excite!

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
word on the street is that Ormsby guitars has a multi scale everyone guitar coming down the pipeline very soon... much excite!

Interesting. Ormsby Guitars have a steep bridge angle because of the fan. He's also very particular on having a bridge pickup that matches the bridge angle so the evertune will have to be completely angled too and enough to allow suitable intonation and room for the bridge pickup.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Interesting. Ormsby Guitars have a steep bridge angle because of the fan. He's also very particular on having a bridge pickup that matches the bridge angle so the evertune will have to be completely angled too and enough to allow suitable intonation and room for the bridge pickup.
I wonder. I think I heard Ormsby do offer a smaller fan than their usual large one these days? May be wrong - haven't followed. Either way, I've often thought at least that a viable solution for the pickup in cases like that (generally in regards to fanned fret tremolos on straight baseplates) is to at least just have the correct angle and the treble side of the pickup far away to compensate for the extra bass side distance. Not as perfect as an angled bridgeplate and ideal bridge pickup position, but better than the alternative of respectively shrill trebles cancelling out multiscale benefits. (My Carillion Plagueis is actually somewhat this way because Chris didn't angle the bridge 'shelf' to allow pickups to move closer)

torchlord

Reaction score
I think it would be very possible to make a multi scale bridge. I wouldn't be surprised if Evertune already has one. I'm guessing doing routing for one might be even more tricky then it is already and maybe that is why they haven't released one yet, or maybe the pickups would be to close to the some of the modules.

I found this video that shows that the only thing that keeps the individual string modules connected to each other is this comb with teeth and it can slide up and down each module then they have the face plate and the intonation screws that keep it in position. Those things are the only thing that keeps them in place. I don't see any reason why you couldn't come up with a faceplate design so each module could be multi scale. Having the routing in the back on an angle would be something you would have to considered.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Sort of, but not entirely related.

Ormsby have a range of Evertune equipped multiscale guitars coming out at some point this year (soon I think).
As Tom suggested earlier in the thread, they're using the bridge as the parallel point and dropping the multiscale down towards the headstock of the guitar.

Bearitone

Reaction score
You can do an evertune multiscale guitar if you do a "half-fan" (perpendicular is at the bridge)
It works but your fan will be limited. Like 1" is the maximum fan I think would be comfortable.

Jake Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Single Saddle Bridge?
Wouldn't that mean that if one side gets unaligned, all strings go out of tune?

If not, just imagine the genius required to design such unit..

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Single Saddle Bridge?
Wouldn't that mean that if one side gets unaligned, all strings go out of tune?

If not, just imagine the genius required to design such unit..

Just imagine the normal Hipshot bridge, and the Hipshot single string bridges. Each one, self-contained. That's what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.