Muscle cramps/spasms etc.. help

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
anybody ever get those extremely excruciating muscle spasm/cramps in your calves/legs outta nowhere for 3-5min.. any remedies or prevention tips?

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
Try taking magnesium supplements.

Magnesium deficiency can cause:
  • low appetite.
  • nausea and vomiting.
  • fatigue and weakness.
  • muscle spasms or tremors.
  • abnormal heart rhythms.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I dunno.. I get plenty of potassium and magnesium daily yet I wake up with excruciating cramps in my calves. Of course my issue with this may stem from something else but yeah, I would start with what others are saying... making sure to get the recommended daily doses of whatever vitamins and minerals that you may be low on. Also, OP if you don't drink much water throughout the day, you seriously should start.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Cramps? Well, in the immortal words of Lux Interior, "Life is short, filled with stuff."

This and pickle juice.
I've been on a really limited diet for a few months now and was getting gnarly night cramps even with lots of stretching and staying hydrated. This is definitely the way. Grillo's are the best. I eat one spear and have a big swig of the juice every day, haven't had night cramps since I started doing that.

Also, a little bird told me oranges have more potassium than bananas, but I eat lots of both just to be safe.

This is, of course, all assuming adequate stretching and exercise in the first place (including the YT link, always stretch and exercise before you do drugs, kids)

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I mean, potassium is a big culprit for muscle cramping. Bananas are high in potassium, but mango is way up there too, one of my cycling friends had a lot of trouble with cramping and really hates bananas, so packing some dried mango was my suggestion.

Longshot concern, though - this is the sort of muscle cramp you usually get in the context of fairly strenuous exercise over time, usually involving some dehydration (make sure you're drinking plenty of water too!). Calf cramps out of the blue for someone who doesn't do large amounts of lower body cardio... are you SURE it's a muscle cramp? Is there any associated swelling, as well, and does the cramp seem to be originating deep within the muscle, and is pretty steadily painful? I'd be at least considering the possibility of a deep vein thrombosis/blood clot here, with the risk being it could start throwing clots and become a pulmonary embolism. I undertand you have a very long, presumably seated, commute...

Reaction score
I mean, potassium is a big culprit for muscle cramping. Bananas are high in potassium, but mango is way up there too, one of my cycling friends had a lot of trouble with cramping and really hates bananas, so packing some dried mango was my suggestion.

Longshot concern, though - this is the sort of muscle cramp you usually get in the context of fairly strenuous exercise over time, usually involving some dehydration (make sure you're drinking plenty of water too!). Calf cramps out of the blue for someone who doesn't do large amounts of lower body cardio... are you SURE it's a muscle cramp? Is there any associated swelling, as well, and does the cramp seem to be originating deep within the muscle, and is pretty steadily painful? I'd be at least considering the possibility of a deep vein thrombosis/blood clot here, with the risk being it could start throwing clots and become a pulmonary embolism. I undertand you have a very long, presumably seated, commute...
This is on spot, specially the 2nd paragraph.

IF it's really muscular cramps, as said before, bananas, mango and generally lots of FRUIT combined with muscle stretching should do the trick. When cramps hit me (very seldom), I try my best to deep relax the muscles in the cramp zone and it goes away within a few moments. This requires deeper than average knowledge and connection to one's own body.

IF the second, please consult a cardio doctor FAST, like yesterday is already late.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is on spot, specially the 2nd paragraph.

IF it's really muscular cramps, as said before, bananas, mango and generally lots of FRUIT combined with muscle stretching should do the trick. When cramps hit me (very seldom), I try my best to deep relax the muscles in the cramp zone and it goes away within a few moments. This requires deeper than average knowledge and connection to one's own body.

IF the second, please consult a cardio doctor FAST, like yesterday is already late.
Ask me how I know. :lol:

I later learned a PE has a roughly 30% chance of being fatal if untreated. If you suddenly have any shortness of breath or chest pain while taking deep breaths, do NOT fuck around, do NOT pass go, do NOT collect $200, and go straight to your nearest emergency room in whatever manner will involve the least elevation of your heart rate and explain your symptoms.

vejichan

Reaction score
not sure when the cramps happen. Its happens to me very very rarely. I do stretch and excercise 3-4 times a week. I have increased my banana/mango intake. As i recall the 1-2x when it happened it was when I was in bed waking up and just reaching my leg out and hands out.. just like a cat/dog stretching their limbs and *BAM* the lower calf/leg area goes into a strong painful muscle cramp for a few minutes ... can't really explain the pain it feels like the muscle is expanding/moving? but as stated it rarely happens for me. But when it does man its *PAINFULL* now i am training myself not to do those wake up *stretching* even subconsciously.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Pickle juice, you can buy it. Chug it. Poof.
Mustard packets work too.

Energy drinks tend to make my muscles cramp, mostly hands, feet and calves

Reaction score
(...)

Quoting myself for correction/update... I meant Cardio-Vascular doctor...

not sure when the cramps happen. Its happens to me very very rarely. I do stretch and excercise 3-4 times a week. I have increased my banana/mango intake. As i recall the 1-2x when it happened it was when I was in bed waking up and just reaching my leg out and hands out.. just like a cat/dog stretching their limbs and *BAM* the lower calf/leg area goes into a strong painful muscle cramp for a few minutes ... can't really explain the pain it feels like the muscle is expanding/moving? but as stated it rarely happens for me. But when it does man its *PAINFULL* now i am training myself not to do those wake up *stretching* even subconsciously.
May that be due to a bad sleeping position?

When I suggested stretching, I meant yoga kind of stretching , not just the waking up cat like type. Do stretch before you sleep, makes you sleep better and wake better as well.

Regarding stretching exercises for the back side of the legs, with a special emphasis on the upper leg, I like to do forward bending, either standing up or sit. Standing up, start with your feet apart, bend forward with your legs straightened and use your hips as a rotation axis, not your back. Let gravity do the work with your head pointing to the floor and your upper body fully relaxed "falling2 into the ground. Slowly move your feet closer to each other, always positioning them pointing forward, heels pointing outwards and toes inwards. This will facilitate your hips rotation forward without using your back.

Specific for calfs, you can stand up in a step, only with your feet's toes over the step and heels out. Slowly let gravity pull your weight down, pointing your heels towards the step bellow the one your toes are on. This will stretch the calfs/lower leg muscles.

There are a huge number of possible exercises focused on leg stretching. Consider joining a Yoga class, Iyengar way, or similar.

:::::::::::::::

Besides the banana/mango intake, consider leaving fast/processed food and drinks out of your life style, as well as animal products or as much as possible (like 10% is more than enough)... this alone will help on all your other problems you seldom ask about.