Music Theory

• Thread starter tehk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tehk

Yes..
Reaction score
For a long time I never bothered to learn music theory, but I've never been able to improvise or write anything very well because I had no idea what was going on! I'm making it a personal goal to learn theory, and so far I know the basic scales, the fifths, and the notes (A,A#,B,C,etc..). However when I play I can't apply any of that stuff at all! I memorized the scales by tab rather then notes, so its a real struggle when trying to improvise lol.

Yea I know, I suck :p.

Do you guys have any tips for music theory? I'm thinking of maybe taking up lessons, but I'm skeptical because I've always learned things through books or the internet. How did you guys learn theory?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Back in my day, when we walked barefoot to school uphill both ways in the snow, I learned by books and trial & error. I took about 5 months worth of lessons in my life. Of course, that was before Al Gore invented the innnnnnerrrnet.

Find a good teacher and take some lessons. Short of that, I'm sure there are many good internet resources for theory. I suggest lessons because it seems you have no problem learning the material. It's the application of those principles that has you stuck.

Of course, you are Canadian so there may be no help for you at all. :lol: j/k

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Take lessons, but make it clear to your teacher that you want to learn theory. Stick it out for a month or two at least.

Get a theory book or two. I find the guitar grimoire to be straight-forward, but there are other books that provide plenty of insight through various methods.

If you're an analytical person, you should be able to learn theory very quickly, but keep in mind that music theory is not a closed science (meaning you can keep learning forever).

evil

vile
Reaction score
Theory, though not as important as technique, is essential to playing any instrument.

You shouldn't have to spend money on books or lessons- just search the net and talk with other musicians. If you get stuck and have money to burn, then go to a teacher or a book.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
If you happen to be in Vancouver then hit me up for a lesson.
I've been a full-time professional guitar teacher since 1990 (by coincidence, also the same year I got my first 7string electric.)

if you're not in Vancouver, then I'd reccomend trying about 2 months worth of lessons with a teacher - then switching teachers if you're not happy with your progress (assuming you're actually practicing what your teacher suggests.)

cheers from a fellow Canadian :hbang:

setboy

Reaction score
Check out "Edlys Music Theory For Practical People"