Music tuned to low C# and beyond?

• Thread starter Preacher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
So the big buzz for me at NAMM this year is production 9's, more for curiosity sake than anything else. I'm curious as to what they sound like in a real setting, so does anyone have any suggestions for artists that either use a 9, or tune that low on an 8?

I know After the Burial and Glass Cloud have gone that low (or Lower in Josh's case!) but I'm looking for more to listen to so I can decide if I like it or not. I don't mind if its jazz, metal, funk, disco, whatever it may be but im interested in the sounds produced, preferably from a guitar and not a bass tuned low.

Show me what you got!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I know rook on here has tuned down to C on his unfinity EP. A quick google search on that one should tell you where it is. Also I think Noyan/NYN uses 9 strings. To me anything that low should be played slow, i'm more excited about the use of these new production 9 strings in the doom/drone/sludge genres.

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
I had forgot about the doom guys, yeah... atleast one band will use them to good effect if it is 1 string chug

Reaction score
Animals As Leaders - "New Eden"

and then "Cylindrical Sea" (I THINK)

Both songs coincidentally played live together:

And since everyone loves Tosin's new Rick Toone guitar:

And then of course, Noyan of NYN and Carthage has got the guys tuning down to Drop-Ab on their 9-strings. (Flubby as f---)

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
^ note those AaL songs are tuned down to C# on 8 strings

I'm gonna be real cheeky for a sec here and plug my own shit! :D

Unjustly Labeled

I've got 3 releases, mostly tuned to B0 and G#0. Some sludgey, doomy, post metal kinda stuff.

My buddy Dekay also recently released an album played in C#1:

https://caynug.bandcamp.com/album/imperfection

I completely forgot to say about this. I have been listening to it the last week or so, it's really going open a few doors into the genre. Phenomenal work. I'd give you all my money and buy it, but I don't have any myself so I just keep the soundcloud tab open all the time.

Also meshuggah's stenga (I think, not 100%) is tuned down to drop flubby (possibly Bb0?) it starts low and drops a semitone in the last section.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
'Void' by Humanity's last breath is in C. I think there's another song by them in C as well, maybe 'Anti'?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
For doom they'd be sick. Low droning chords and use the higher strings for more layers...

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Since a few people mentioned me, shameless self plug (also releasing a new song next week or so)

This song doesn't go lower than D1 but it's a better demonstration of my sound. The new material will have a lot of Ab0 stuff.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest Caynug and Unjustly Labeled as well. Two phenomenal projects that are both found here on Planet SSO.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I'm gonna be real cheeky for a sec here and plug my own shit! :D

Unjustly Labeled

I've got 3 releases, mostly tuned to B0 and G#0. Some sludgey, doomy, post metal kinda stuff.

My buddy Dekay also recently released an album played in C#1:

https://caynug.bandcamp.com/album/imperfection

I was gonna suggest Caynug and Unjustly Labeled as well. Two phenomenal projects that are both found here on Planet SSO.

Thats just to kind... aw damnit I love you guys!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
.... yeah imagine electric wizard with a 9 string? Holy shit

Fvck that. They do G on six strings for some stuff and given their settings, most of it sounds like mud (here's looking at you Dopethrone title-track) so 9 would be absolute bollocks for them