Musician and drugs...

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brett89

Reaction score
After the Morbid Angel gig at tuesday me and my friend just started talking about the band.... and he said that they (Morbid Angel) use drugs...:squint:

Man it sucks! :(

Why the fxxk people use that shit, they aren't happy and drugs (or alcohol) are the only anwser or why? They just got the money for it so its a normal thing that they use it? Some people say that dope is not soo bad the other hard drugs... its stupid... its the same... :nono:

I asked some people on the Morbid Angel and they said that the drummer uses amphetamines to keep up with the speed, and one of the guitarist use/used LSD... and its normal that they smoke dope :noplease: . . .

What do you think about drugs, and why "rich" musicians use it?

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I would imagine that more people than you think use drugs. Personally, I don't. Well, other than drinking. And I don't know many people that do. There are the pot smokers but I don't really consider that a "drug".
However, If I could afford to, I probably would. I need an escape from reallity before I put a gun to my head and end it all. :lol:

Brett89

Reaction score
Donnie said:
I would imagine that more people than you think use drugs.

But why? There was a time in my life when I was very depressed but I never thinked about to run away from them, I thinked about that how can I solve the problem...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you even know if he's got an accurate source? I know Pete drinks a lot, but.. lots of people do.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Brett89 said:
But why? There was a time in my life when I was very depressed but I never thinked about to run away from them, I thinked about that how can I solve the problem...
Sometimes people just do it for the hell of it.

Brett89

Reaction score
I don't know... maybe I'm wrong but I can never agree with this things... ye man of my friends drink a lot and I dont like it... not because that "Ohh drunk people are stupid" . . .because its not healthy and it's just make things worster...

(Sorry if my english is not correct:bowdown: )

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, in drinking its just in moderation, and its all good. Overdoing anything is bad.

Brett89

Reaction score
Well yes... drink a littel it's not bad thing... but drink until you get drunk is stupid, and using drugs too.... those people are weak in soul...

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
There are many, many, many factors as to why people drink and use/abuse drugs (there's a difference there). Some genetic, some psychological, some environmental. Saying that they're "weak in soul" :scratch: is a cop out. Much more going on there, not to mention the whole pathology of addiction in general.

There are a few different schools of thoughts on drugs, too. In the 60's, many people veiwed drugs as a way to open their minds to new ideas. Plus, "drugs" is a pretty generic term to describe something that's incredibly varied. Cigarettes are pretty benign, except for the health hazards, but highly addictive. Marijuana is somewhat psychotropic, but again, pretty benign. Somewhat addicting, depending on the person. Alchohol is also somewhat addicting, but far from benign, when abused. However, many people are very responsible drinkers. LSD - not very addictive compared to smokes or heroin. But what a different high. Pills - eh, they run the gamut. Some weak and mild, almost harmless, some wicked. Heroin, coke, crack, meth... these drugs are alot harder, esepcially the opiates like heroin, and medical derivatives like morphine and oxyconton, and very, very addictive. Plus, they can cause hell on earth.

There's a lot to "drugs", and blanket statements don't really do the issue justice. Just consider our drug policy here in the US, and what a terrific success that is. :rolleyes:

Personally, I do not do drugs period. And I drink only in moderation, barring the annual bender. :drew: :barf: :lol:

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, back in the day, I was a major druggie. As long as it didn't involve a needle, I probably abused it somewhat regularly. Why? It started out that my buddies were smoking pot and I was kind of down about things in my life. So I smoked once or twice a week with them. Then I started smoking more and being introduced to new things. For the most part, I did drugs because they made me feel better than I could make myself feel.

Once I kicked that crap, I started to drink more. Not to the point where I was an alcoholic, but probably pretty damn close. I'm sure I made Drew look straightedge :lol: But even that settled down when I realized that I had problems in my life that it couldn't fix.

WHy do these bands do drugs? One, they're away from their homes and loved ones for extended periods, riding around on a bus or in vans all day, and various other stressful triggers. For the most part, bands just smoke a little pot and it really doesn't go much farther than that. At least not nowadays.

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
I don't really see what the problem is here? As long as you take these things in moderation they only affect your life as much as every other bad thing you do in your life (eating fatty foods, not doing exercise regularly etc).

I think there is a common misconception that if you take drugs you take far too much and are constantly putting your life at threat. That just isn't the case for most people. I think the attitude towards drugs is probably a bit more relaxed in the UK (generally) compared to the USA.

As long as people are educated about the effects and addiction levels I don't see what the problem is in letting them do themselves damage.

Your Majesty

Ibanez Goddess
Reaction score
Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll - are you surprised that some metal band you like does drugs? or, drinks for that matter? or, cheats on their girlfreinds or wives with groupies?

At the end of the day, who gives a shit? As long as they produce good music, don't bother anyone and don't OD, who gives a rats ass what musicians do on their own time and dime? Seriously...... think about it?

Brett89

Reaction score
Your Majesty said:
Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll - are you surprised that some metal band you like does drugs? or, drinks for that matter? or, cheats on their girlfreinds or wives with groupies?

At the end of the day, who gives a shit? As long as they produce good music, don't bother anyone and don't OD, who gives a rats ass what musicians do on their own time and dime? Seriously...... think about it?

I didn't said that I wont like MA because they use drugs... I just said it's shit that people use it... and I won't be happy if they die by overdozeing the shit... anyway, drugs are shit and no one sould use them... pont :nono:

Your Majesty

Ibanez Goddess
Reaction score
Brett89 said:
anyway, drugs are shit and no one sould use them... pont :nono:

I agree with you.

BUT a lot of people do use drugs and its something that will never disappear. As long as thre is sex, drugs and alcohol, those temptations will always be tapped into by people, whether they ae musicians or not.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Your Majesty said:
I agree with you.

BUT a lot of people do use drugs and its something that will never disappear. As long as thre is sex, drugs and alcohol, those temptations will always be tapped into by people, whether they ae musicians or not.

Agreed. IN a perfect world, nobody would need drugs. But, this isn't a perfect world. And as highly addictive as many drugs are, it's easy to get hooked.

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
Brett89 said:
... anyway, drugs are shit and no one sould use them... pont :nono:

See I might be playing devils advocate here slightly but I don't agree with this statement. All drugs have negative effects on your body and mental state but where do you draw the line? Like Bob said Nicotine is actually the most addictive drug in the world and alcohol is probably the most dangerous in terms of the negative effects it has on you. Just because other class A drugs are scorned upon by our society it doesn't make them any worse than some of the 'drugs' we are exposed to. I say 'drugs' like that because things like caffeine, chocolate (which increases Serotonin levels which strictly speaking makes it a form of drug) are all bad for you and in excessive consumption fuck you up.

The thing is drugs like Cocaine and Heroin although massively damaging in high volumes are not as addictive as Nicotine and Alcohol. People who get addicted to class A drugs have other things in their lives (personality, personal issues etc) which make them more prone to being addicted to dangerous drugs.

I am not condoning drug use but at the same time I don't think this is a clear black and white issue. I think you need to know what the real affects and effects of drugs are before making a statement like that. I guess my problem with it is that less about the points I have made (above) but that their is not enough unbiased education available.

As part of my degree I did a course called Psychobiology of Addiction. It explained how our brains are predisposed to enjoy drugs as we have neural networks specifically to feel the independent sensations you get from all different types of drugs. It was a brilliant course as it outlined the sheer highs and joys of taking drugs that were possible but also showed the catastrophic effects it can have on your prefrontal lobes. It displayed a balanced argument unlike the drug propaganda that society and our governments feed us. I think everyone should be given this education.

Sorry this is a mega rant for no good reason. :lol:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Your Majesty said:

hmm... i'll take an order of Sex and Rock'N Roll. hold the Drugs, please.

:D

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 16 years old, and therefore I'm immortal and nothing can hurt or affect me.;)

Drinking = party. It's fun getting drunk with some friends, giggling like a motherfucker, and just having such a good time because everyone's all loose and funky.

Cigs, people need a buzz to relax themselves, kids do it to look cool.

Weed, recreationally it's fun. Once again, in a close group of friends, where everyone just loosen's up and it's just so funny!

There's reasons for drugs other than depression. When something becomes a lifestyle habbit, things need to change. There's no reason why people can't use them for enjoyment, other than to numb themselves of some deeper pain.

Oh, and other drugs... fuck those drugs. Sure you get a "high", but you also get a huge low. Anything with a huge low, I stay away from.