My biceps aren't getting bigger at the same rate.

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
So I've been working out, and I can't seem to get my left bicep to keep up with my right one. So say I do 5 sets of 10 curls, I'll add in another 2-3 sets with my left arm. I'm to the point where I'd waiting 3 days between doing arms because of how hard I'm pushing my left arm.

I mean I've tried doing the most weight I can until failure (3-4 reps), lighter weight so I can focus on having perfect form. What am I doing wrong?

Matt08642

Reaction score
Your left and right biceps might just be a different shape, even Arnold's were:

1668224877056.png

Just keep being consistent and don't worry about it unless you start noticing some kind of massive strength difference like curling 40 with one arm and 20 with the other lol.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
some kind of massive strength difference like curling 40 with one arm and 20 with the other lol.

I mean I've lived a blue collar life. I was a mechanic for 8 years. Some of my PRs are just because I didn't realize stuff counted as a workout.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
So I've been working out, and I can't seem to get my left bicep to keep up with my right one. So say I do 5 sets of 10 curls, I'll add in another 2-3 sets with my left arm. I'm to the point where I'd waiting 3 days between doing arms because of how hard I'm pushing my left arm.

I mean I've tried doing the most weight I can until failure (3-4 reps), lighter weight so I can focus on having perfect form. What am I doing wrong?
Most people have muscle imbalances due to favoring one side or the other, and it just takes time to get them relatively even. This isn't a fast fix. Like Matt said, you might have different sized biceps heads on your arms. There are also different parts of the bicep being emphasized depending on the exercise. Personally I just do preacher curl, hammer curl and regular (palm up) curls. You can add in negatives too (the eccentric portion of the lift really helps as most people don't do them regularly).

bjjman

Reaction score
Your biceps also get hammered when you do back exercises. For example, if you're currently doing lat pull downs with a cable machine, try switching to something which works both sides separately.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm to the point where I'd waiting 3 days between doing arms because of how hard I'm pushing my left arm.

Hmm, how often would you do them if you were not pushing it? Dedicated heavy arms session more often than once every 5-6 days - assuming you're doing chest, shoulders, back etc in between - is probably too much unless you're specializing for whatever reason - armwrestling or some functional type training.

As a side note - this can be a bit counterintuitive but it does work most of the time - I would spend more time on working the triceps, preferably with reasonably heavy weights - so e.g. favor mid-reps close grip bench presses and p-bar dips over e.g. cable pushdowns. This gets them arms growing all around and generally speaking any time you gain overall the left-right imbalance becomes less noticeable.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
No need to worry. Happens to everyone.

Focus on unilateral work for a couple of months, and the gap will narrow.

I once had to keep my left arm immobile for two months, due to a broken bone. Once I was able to start lifting again, my left arm's circumference was one inch smaller than my right arm — i.e., the magic of detraining. It took three months of training (both arms) to make them even.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Hmm, how often would you do them if you were not pushing it? Dedicated heavy arms session more often than once every 5-6 days - assuming you're doing chest, shoulders, back etc in between - is probably too much unless you're specializing for whatever reason - armwrestling or some functional type training.

You could say I'm specializing...
5m8a8zzl1po81.jpg

Right now my schedule looks like Monday rest Tuesday arms and shoulders Wednesday rest Thursday chest, back and some more triceps Friday legs and light arms Saturday and Sunday whatever doesn't feel like it needs some more rest.

Funnily enough, I posted this thread right when I hit the point where I'm getting to the point I had to split it up from just upper and lower body.

Latest posts