My First 8-String. Power Chords Sound Awful

• Thread starter Webmaestro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I am becoming a huge fanboi of the Fortin 33. I've had one a few days and after adjusting to it, it really sounds great to me into a Marshall. Power cords on the 8th string come through nice and clear. It's quite bright and thin but somehow still chugs. Has a very mean/angry sound but is sweet/warm on the top end.

I've been going nuts trying to find an amp and pickups that would do what I wanted and the 33 seems to have solved my problems. I can still use my beloved Marshalls and passive pickups but just boost with the 33 instead of an SD1 or 808.

Slightly off topic: is the 33 out of production? And how does the Grind compare?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Slightly off topic: is the 33 out of production? And how does the Grind compare?

Never tried the Grind. There seem to be a few versions; and apparently at least one of them is essentially identical to the 33.

I don't know what's up with Fortin, but it seems like the 33 is in production, they just sell out quickly, so you have to watch for them to come in stock and pull the trigger.

For what it's worth, I ended up with two 33s. One says v2.17c and the board even says "Grind/33" on it. So for at least a time it seems they used the same board (but maybe component values differed?). The other say v2.19a and sounds identical to me, but the board is slightly different and it has neither 33 nor Grind written on it. Neither appears to use smd components.

Latest posts