My first build - 27" scale 7 string - Walnut, Maple, Ziricote

• Thread starter Levi79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Looks great, even for a tele like shape... :D

About the screws, it will stay like this? I mean, you'd use some ferules for screws heads, or try to make a chamfer to lodged screws head. Also, it seems that the upper screw is very close to the edge of the neck pocket, no?

Levi79

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. I was kind of unsure of the horn as well, but I'm really digging it now. The body is coming out basically just how I hoped. A more modern and edgy tele shape.

I know I told you that the next update would be completion, but I lied to you once again. :lol: I tried making a decent pickup routing template but failed pretty bad. It's not as easy as you'd think. I'm trying to get a hold of some templates from someone, but I think I might still have to figure it out on my own. I tried making it with 1/4" ply wood and it was an awful failure. My next step if I can't find any templates is to find some thin acrylic.
I did recess the bolts. Kind of not perfect because my drill press and my bits are really not the best. But they get the job done.
285718_4060353475243_941168962_n.jpg

Bindings all sanded and scraped. That may or not be a new treat for me in the background. :D RG2550e!
403506_4060354235262_824890126_n.jpg

165989_4060355555295_542452611_n.jpg

I made these little truss rod covers out of scrap on my sander. Literally took me a minute and a half each :lol: I probably won't be using these though. I'll at least draw out a shape for the one I use.
224951_4060350635172_1959331622_n.jpg

292571_4060352235212_1373810092_n.jpg

I did this too. This is just after glue, so the ziricote isn't to the shape of the headstock yet. Not sure how I feel about it honestly. I wish I just veneered the whole thing in Ziricote like I was going to, but now I don't have any veneer left. :/
283597_4060356875328_449657553_n.jpg

Levi79

Reaction score
thats some nice progress i will have to wait for my salary before i can continue my build
Link me! Building is definitely a costly venture though. I wish I kept better track of all the stuff I've bought for building. I'm at least $2k deep in it already :lol: When it comes to the parts I've bought for this build and others I have planned, power tools, guitar specific tools, wood, etc. etc. it get's up there.

nshaw12

Reaction score
I love that headstock! I've been working on some split designs of my own for a while now.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Nice idea for the headstock!
But what I'd done is reduce the thickness of the headstock, glue a ziricote veneer and on this a maple veneer (or your neck wood, in fact). Then, with a slight chamfer on the headstock, you bring up the ziricote veneer on the same shape you've done here.
It makes no step up on the headstock.

For the truss cover, aren't they to high? Don't the strings touch it?

Last, you're building a huge 7 string and you bought an RG? In 6 string?! What the hell?!
:D

:cheers:

Levi79

Reaction score
Nice idea for the headstock!
But what I'd done is reduce the thickness of the headstock, glue a ziricote veneer and on this a maple veneer (or your neck wood, in fact). Then, with a slight chamfer on the headstock, you bring up the ziricote veneer on the same shape you've done here.
It makes no step up on the headstock.

For the truss cover, aren't they to high? Don't the strings touch it?

Last, you're building a huge 7 string and you bought an RG? In 6 string?! What the hell?!
:D

:cheers:
Yeah i guess doing somehting like that would have made a little more sense. Whateves. I don't think it would have made much difference. And yeah the truss rod covers a bit thick, but a minute on my sander and they'll be good.
I couldn't resist man. Got it for such a sick price! It sounds, looks and feels great too!

Levi79

Reaction score
Almost at the home stretch!

Pickup template made
599596_4090582830958_962722926_n.jpg

All routed
229954_4090584230993_1475132035_n.jpg

Oiled up.
521349_4090585551026_622798899_n.jpg

Out in the sun
179984_4090587111065_694513089_n.jpg

Test fit. A couple tweaks and build 1 is done! Sounds totally awesome acoustically. I'm actually really satisfied with it. Stoked to throw some electronics in there. Unfortunately I didn't quite route the pickups deep enough. I could get away with putting them in, but I'd like to have more adjustability.
166040_4090590391147_1666762217_n.jpg

Necromagnon

Reaction score
You couldn't make a second turn of router?
Or at least, just drill holes where needed (under adjusting screws, mostly).

Other thing, no pots? ( :D )

Glad to see it almost finished! :cheers:

supercolio

Super-spy
Reaction score
Oh man oh boy! :eek:
That is so super awesome!! :hbang::hbang::hbang:
I really like the body shape. Awesome work. This thread gave me so much information about building guitars, can't thank you enough :3 Even though I've read all sorts of how-to guides, this showed me what and whatnot do in practice :lol:
Can't wait to see it finished! AND HEAR! A nice demo would be super cool!

TankJon666

Reaction score
If it were mine I'd reverse the headstock but its not mine :D

Love the body shape though. I really like that you left some of the sides of the guitar uncontoured and binded up to the edge. Certainly given me some ideas for my second build.
All in all! Friggin' awesome!

Levi79

Reaction score
You couldn't make a second turn of router?
Or at least, just drill holes where needed (under adjusting screws, mostly).

Other thing, no pots? ( :D )

Glad to see it almost finished! :cheers:
I should have. another pass or two and I would have been golden. I based alot of the depths and such on this build off of my RG7421 and their pickup routes are really shallow so I didn't think I'd need to make them much deeper. Stupid mistake. Whateves. Routing the pickups deeper, installing electronics and doing all the other final touches this weekend. I would say today, but my Axe II comes today so.... :lol:

Oh man oh boy! :eek:
That is so super awesome!! :hbang::hbang::hbang:
I really like the body shape. Awesome work. This thread gave me so much information about building guitars, can't thank you enough :3 Even though I've read all sorts of how-to guides, this showed me what and whatnot do in practice :lol:
Can't wait to see it finished! AND HEAR! A nice demo would be super cool!

Thanks for the kind words man! It really means alot, especially since this is my first try. I'll be sure to get some clips up and maybe even a video when it's done. If you're learning about building guitars it's well worth getting a membership at project guitar forums. So many knowledgeable dudes there. Some absolutely awesome work too. That's the big boy forums for building :lol:

If it were mine I'd reverse the headstock but its not mine :D

Love the body shape though. I really like that you left some of the sides of the guitar uncontoured and binded up to the edge. Certainly given me some ideas for my second build.
All in all! Friggin' awesome!
I've never been one for reversed headstocks personally. I've always just liked normal ones :shrug: Thanks though man. That chamfering meeting the binding is straight stolen from Blackmachine and Huf, not going to lie. I always thought it was an awesome look.