My first post in 6 years - Axe FX Ultra in 2020?

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
https://soundcloud.com/phybia/drop-z-riffage
Hey guys! In the middle of recording an album/ep and getting my mix ready.
Honest opinion - is this tone (Axe Ultra) and mix/master adequate for breaking through the mud in your opinion?
Came back after 6 long years to hear some thoughts from some of you experts out here, my network of musician friends is pretty much non-existent at this point, sadly.
Thanks brothers! :)

EDIT: Sadly no vocals in the mix to show yet, just want to make sure I could get the fundamentals good before going for it

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lianoroto

Reaction score
It sounds about even with most bands/projects I would count as similar to this style. Maybe the drums feel a bit too programmed, but that could easily count as a stylistic choice. Adding vocals could either make the mix stronger, or have it fall apart. I think you should get those tracked as well, since they will heavily affect the fundamentals as you say.

Breaking through the mud would be purely up to the musicianship at this point, imo. Getting a subjectively "better" mix won't hurt, but I could dig an album sounding like this if the music slaps.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I don’t listen to this type of metal: but I think the guitar and bass tone is right on, from the few songs/snippets I’ve heard in the past. I thought most of the guys playing this style used Pods anyways (at the time their recording took place), so the Ultra is an upgrade from that standpoint. It ultimately comes down to how you dial in the tone, regardless of the signal chain. If it sounds good, it is good.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I'm definitely into it. I love that style of a round, wet sounding tone.
The only piece that I thought could use a bit of improvement was the sample at the start- it'd fit a bit better if it was slightly more distorted I think, but that's just my opinion and more of a stylistic choice.

The Ultra is still a killer unit. Mix sounds great to me.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
The guitar and bass tones are great man. I'm less fond of the snare sound, but maybe it's a stylistic choice.

Disclaimer: I suck ass when it comes to the recording process, but my ears aren't that bad.

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
The guitar and bass tones are great man. I'm less fond of the snare sound, but maybe it's a stylistic choice.

Disclaimer: I suck ass when it comes to the recording process, but my ears aren't that bad.
Thank you for the response my dude! But I'm curious, what is it about the snare you think? I'm going for that sorta huge smacky snare, do you think it's a bit too much or too roomy, something like that?
Please let me know man, and no worries about sucking ass with the recording process, I trust your judgement! An example of the type of snare you like in a similarly heavy setting, if you know of any ofc, would also be highly appreciated! <3

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
For my tastes, maybe a bit too roomy and hits sound a bit too uniform velocity wise.

Im drawing blanks right now as to a comparable snare. Maybe it’s the insane work week I just finished... Last thing I listened to in my car was the track Vectors by Haunted Shores and I like the snare sound in that.

What band snare sound were you trying to emulate? Except vocals, were you planning on adding any other layers on that track (e.g. lead)?

Masoo2

Reaction score
god I love these flubby/tubby tones, they sound so much more interesting than the normal prog/djent ones, ESPECIALLY when used in Eb and below

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I liked it. It reminded me of like if you took late 90’s/early 00’s industrial/NU metal tones and then tightened them up a bit. (It’s a compliment trust me).

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
For my tastes, maybe a bit too roomy and hits sound a bit too uniform velocity wise.

What band snare sound were you trying to emulate? Except vocals, were you planning on adding any other layers on that track (e.g. lead)?

Been resting on the mix for a little bit and the snare might be a tiny bit too much indeed, I will definitely clear that out going forward If I can manage. Thanks for the eye opener!

I 'think' I'm heading for something comparable to Humanity's Last Breath (especially the first album) or Emmure's latest one, drum mix-wise. These two snare sounds are quite different, but they have the same sort of loud 'in your face' smack, and I've always loved that type of snare for the harder stuff.
This is the closest I've ever gotten to a snare I'm semi-happy with in terms of those qualities, snare mix has been a huge insecurity and enemy of mine for years, and I feel like I'm finally getting close to a snare that's not just straight hot crappy grabage, for once.

I want to get a lot of layers on top, both guitar and electronic stuff, on all the songs I'm working on, but I've been putting it off until the tracks are arranged pleasently from start to finish. Won't be much shred on this particular project, not because I'm not capable mind you, haha, but stylistically this probably wouldn't gel well with it. It is to be a collaboration between me and an old previous bandmate that reconnected recently. I'm very much focused on writing banger tracks with space for him, so he can (hopefully) be creative and imaginative with his vocal delivery.

I might be going about this in a really stupid way, focusing on mixing and f'n mastering before the actual music, but it might be necessary to get this stuff out of the way, as we'd never be able to afford a full mix and master from a reuputable engineer, but we're both eager to finally get somewhere with music. Just wish us luck man, haha, and sorry for the bible sized response, I tend to do that sometimes. :)

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
It sounds killer man and the composition is great. I was really nitpicking (hopefully constructively). All the best with your project man!! I’ll definitely be checking back to see how it progresses. As I said before, I’m totally green when it comes to the recording process, I’m just offering a fresh set of ears :)

viifox

Reaction score
I dig it overall. Solid mix to my ears, and the main riff is pretty catchy! But have you thought about doing a different intro style? It's pretty derivative of Icarus Lives. But maybe that was the point?

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
I dig it overall. Solid mix to my ears, and the main riff is pretty catchy! But have you thought about doing a different intro style? It's pretty derivative of Icarus Lives. But maybe that was the point?
Didn't really think about that, maybe the best call is to go for something else?

viifox

Reaction score
Didn't really think about that, maybe the best call is to go for something else?
I think you could squeeze a bit more originality into the track if you tried something else. And honestly? Considering how good the rest of the track is, i bet you could come up with something pretty badass!

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
I think you could squeeze a bit more originality into the track if you tried something else. And honestly? Considering how good the rest of the track is, i bet you could come up with something pretty badass!
Alright, I trust you man, so I will definitely come up with something else for sure. Thanks dude :D

Tjore

Hipster Jesus
Reaction score
It sounds about even with most bands/projects I would count as similar to this style.
Knowing that my mixes now are even comparible to other bands through your ears made me really happy! And you know, as they say, "den har sooperkvalitet, på deehh". Go youtube superbra if you have no clue what I'm on about, kompis. hahah :)

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Sounds really tight to me. Definitely genre appropriate from my experience. Good job!

Latest posts