My guitar tone makes me cringe

• Thread starter GodOfChugs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GodOfChugs

SSO's Chugmeister
Reaction score
So I've recently purchased a Scarlett 2i4 (upgraded from a POD UX2) I got so used to the pod, I feel like I've completely lost touch of how to make decent guitar tones. After listening to this for a little, I almost get that "I'm on an airplane ear popping" effect. Another way to describe it is... too fake?? It just sounds to crunch-tastic and not enough balls. Help me please! :hbang:

UPDATED LINK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/twf7i6btprity83/Crimson Horizon V3.wav?dl=0

EDIT: My guitar chain is Schecter Damien 7 (EMG 81-7/85-7)>Scarlett 2i4>TS 808>Amplitube ENGL Powerball>EQ

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tegara

Surgical
Reaction score
"The link you're trying to access has expired."
To get the right URL go to your Dropbox folder, right-click on the file, and select Copy public link.

Lokasenna

Reaction score
Doesn't sound terrible to me, aside from just being a little dull. If you have a low-pass on there, I'd try dialing it back or taking it off completely. If you don't, consider using a decent color EQ (Stillwell's 1973, for instance) and boosting a high shelf at 10 or 12kHz.

GodOfChugs

SSO's Chugmeister
Reaction score
Doesn't sound terrible to me, aside from just being a little dull. If you have a low-pass on there, I'd try dialing it back or taking it off completely. If you don't, consider using a decent color EQ (Stillwell's 1973, for instance) and boosting a high shelf at 10 or 12kHz.

Is it possible that I've just listened to it 5,000 times that my ears got fatigued? and not a bad idea! I'll try that :eek:

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
i think the guitar tone is pretty good, actually. i wouldn´t really give it more high end. i´d rather raise the overheads on the drums to fill out the high end of the mix more. if you boost the high end on the guitars like this, it will clash with the cymbals and things could get foggy and undefined up there. my 2 cents anyways.

GodOfChugs

SSO's Chugmeister
Reaction score
I guess what I'm moreso going for is that crazy processed sound (think risecore bs) where the bass/guitar/kick all mesh together as a single instrument. I'm hearing almost too much "fuzziness" in my guitars that's preventing it from that

gujukal

Reaction score
The tone seems a bit dull, did you cut a lot of high frequencies? I would try to boost around 1.2 kHz before amp and then maybe cut around 700 hz after the amp, that will give you "nice mids" and not too much of the boxy mids. Adjust the LPF to around 10 khz so you don't lose too much details and try find the annoying fizz I'm hearing, probably is in around 2-5 khz area.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The guitar sound doesn't seem bad to me, it's just waaaaaay louder than everything else in your mix. The drums sound like they're far away, but the guitars are riiiiiiight up in front.

IMO, don't mix for the guitars, mix for the song. That can potentially mean chopping spaces out of the guitar sound for other instruments to come through.

Moltar

Reaction score
The guitar sound doesn't seem bad to me, it's just waaaaaay louder than everything else in your mix. The drums sound like they're far away, but the guitars are riiiiiiight up in front.

IMO, don't mix for the guitars, mix for the song. That can potentially mean chopping spaces out of the guitar sound for other instruments to come through.

This is what I thought. The drums(except the kick drum) are much quieter than the guitar. Kick is probably fine though IMO.