My journey from finding "the one" guitar to amassing a collection (still on-going)

• Thread starter LunatiqueRob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is likely the last guitar for a while, since all my G.A.S itches have been scratched at this point.

I still have two more guitars I'm waiting on that's been paid for since last year. One is the Jericho Fusion 8-string with Evertune, and the other is that Dean Gordon Virtus Headless custom build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
While I’m happy for your bank account, I’m sad for this thread. It’s been a fun read! I really appreciate all the effort you put into this.

Also, your collection got me really interested in Strandbergs. That probably won’t happen until next year though - just bought some new cabinets and a counter top for the kitchen.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When is the Dean coming in?
Any day now. It could have been here already, but I was adamant about getting the middle pickup color exactly the right lavender I had in mind, and we couldn't find any off-the-shelf color matches, so we went with a custom color mixing service that mixed it for us (for a hefty price. $50 starting and with tax/shipping probably closer to $80). So that delayed the build for a few weeks.

DeanGordonVirtusHeadless-lilac vs lavender.jpg

As you can see from these mockups, the off-the-shelf color Dean found was too bluish (the lilac), and the color I wanted was more lavender.

20240416_192103.jpgpickup cover color check.jpg

I went in DEEP on getting the color right, since it's the only dash of color on the whole guitar.

20240428_163019.jpg

The sprayed color on the stick is the result from the mixing service.

gclef

Reaction score
I currently have more than a dozen guitars and basses, and I feel like I'm missing a really amazing do-it-all high-end 6-string that can be a "forever" guitar I will never sell. I have a few candidates picked out but maybe I'm missing some, so I'd like some suggestions.

I should briefly describe what I'm looking for and what my current collection is like so you know exactly what my criteria are.

First, here are all the guitars (basses) I currently own:
View attachment 126740

As you can see, I'm mainly a double-cut body superstrat type of player.

What are currently missing from my collection:

1) A high-quality 6-string with normal scales (I'm not the biggest fan of multiscale, but on Strandbergs they're not too drastic, but I'd still prefer just normal frets but Strandberg doesn't have that option).
2) I want a ton of tone switching options, because I like the idea of having one guitar that can do both humbucker and single coil tones at various positions. (My Strandberg Prog NX 7 and Aristides H/08 have Fishman pickups, which have a ton of tone options with the push/pull pots, and I'd love something similar in a 6-string with normal scale frets and neck)
3) I don't mind Strandberg's Endurneck, but I also don't love it either.
4) My existing 6-strings that are normal scale/necks aren't exactly great high-end guitars. The Eart W1 is cheap and can't hold tuning, and the Variax feels clunky to play (and I prefer 24 frets).

My ideal high-end 6-string "forever" guitar will be something with these features:

1) Capable of handling any genre--from jazz, fusion, prog, metal, funk, to pop.
2) Ample tone switching options. Neck single coil (for low-gain fusion leads) and neck humbucker (for jazzy stuff) in one guitar would be great (this requires push/pull tone switching via coil split/tap). Prefer humbucker at the bridge (for high-gain metal). The clean Strat 4th position tone is important too for funk-styled rhythm. (This one is critical because if it wasn't, I'd have a far bigger pool of selections to choose from.)
3) Normal scale (no multiscale), normal neck (I prefer necks on the thinner side as opposed to a baseball bat neck).
4) Tremolo that stays in tune very well.
5) Ideally 24 frets.
6) Light weight. Heavy guitars are just a bummer as they feel clunky.
7) No glossy necks--feels too tacky on my hands, and I don't even have sweaty hands.
8) Can be set up with low action and won't buzz.
9) Whatever I didn't mention means it's not as important to me. Although finishes can be important depending on the finish in question.

The candidates I have found so far are:

Ibanez AZ Prestige series (2204 models, but I like the 2204NW for the mint color)
Pros: These have the Dynamix tone switching system, which allows an HSS to do humbucking tone at the neck (maybe not 100% but close enough), and still have that neck single coil tone and 4th position funk machine tone I love. There are 9 tones available with the switching system.
Cons: Only 22 frets

Ibanez AZ Prestige 2402
Pros: 24 frets. Also has the Dynamix tone switching system with 10 tones.
Cons: The HH configuration with the Dynamix tone options still doesn't do the neck single coil tone or the Strat 4th position tone quite as convincingly as I'd like.

Ibanez AZ Premium MAR10 (CHON signature)
Pros: 24 frets. HSS configuration. Dynamix tone switching system.
Cons: I'm iffy on the metallic lavender finish, and the shark teeth inlays are a bit of an eyesore. (If it had a less annoying inlay shape and a slightly more subdued finish, I'd probably have bought it by now.)

Ibanez Tim Henson TOD10 signature (or the Scott LePage signature)
Pros: 24 frets, Tim's Fishman pickups with push/pull tone switching options (can do single coil and humbucker at the neck, and something similar to Strat 4th position).
Cons: Kinda iffy on that tree of death inlay (a bit too busy visually). Tim said more finishes are coming soon and I'd like to see what else they have. Scott's champagne gold finish is okay--maybe a bit glitzy for me personally.

Schecter California Classic
Pros: HSS, push/pull tone switching options (but I can't find any detailed information about the exact options for the tones).
Cons: 22 frets only.

Abasi Concepts Emi-6
Pros: The most ergonomic body shape of them all--up there with Strandberg in terms of seated playing position with guitar carve sitting on the right thigh. Fishman pickups with push/pull tone options.
Cons: Currently only has SSS model and the tone switching doesn't seem to do humbucker tone at the neck or at the bridge. Extremely expensive. (It would be great if they would release an HH version of the 6-string with the Abasi Fishman pickups that can do single coil tones are various positions.)

Notice I didn't list any Jacksons or Kramers, and it's because I can't stand their headstocks. That really angled and sharp headstock just looks off-balance to me. The main feature I want that disqualifies many choices on the market is the variety of tone-switching that can do both single coil and humbucker are various positions and sound authentic.

If you have suggestions not on my list, I'd love to see them (but make sure you have read my post and understand exactly what I want first). Or, if you have thoughts on what's currently on my list, I'd love to know too. Thanks!
Hey a strandberg essential and mod the electronics to taste

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey a strandberg essential and mod the electronics to taste
The Essential came out only recently, and I was tempted, but I prefer normal necks to the Endurneck. Also, it would be redundant now that I have the Dean Gordon Virtus headless custom build due to arrive any day now.