My mind blown

• Thread starter CapinCripes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
so one of my freinds just about ten mins ago noticed something odd about his download speed... i don't even.
Edit: apparently he held that speed for 10 mins. also that equals around 116.75 Tb per sec.

Attachments

• jesustapdancingfuckingc.png
    jesustapdancingfuckingc.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 71

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
The fuck is he downloading that it takes 5 minutes to download at that speed? A fucking car?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but something about those numbers are just plain borked. Current gigabit ethernets cap out at 125 megabytes/second, as do most hard drives. Heck, even the best SSDs can't handle more than about 600 megabytes/second. I guarantee you weren't actually getting those kinds of numbers.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Star Trek Online is 3.5gb. He didn't download the entire thing in less than a second :lol:

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
he lives in Kansas City. they recently got fiber going to every house. so it is possible that he could have spiked to some pretty high numbers. all i know is the numbers he gave me and the screens he gave me. i don't know how or why and he doesn't know how or why. time warner, his isp may know why but aside from that its a bit of an oddity.
i do know that he downloaded it faster than all hell because of the fact that one minute he was talking to us on my vent server about how he was starting up steam to download it and the next he was hyperventilating and laughing his ass off about the speeds he was getting. within 3 minutes i got the screenshot i posted.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
EDIT:

nevermind.

Kansas City doesn't have fiber to every house yet. Google just started hanging wires last month.

You can't download faster than your harddrive can write.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
sorry i exaggerated when i said fiber to every house. he just so happens to be one of the lucky ones that already has fiber i am well aware that you cannot download faster than what your hard drive can handle writing up to. he wasn't downloading at that speed, his network MAY HAVE BEEN running at that speed maybe. in reality he was probably downloading at 150mbs at the maximum which means that he was exaggerating when he said he downloaded it in less than a second but there is still the issue of the fact that both steam and rainmeter said he spiked at that speed. i am not saying i completely believe him. i don't. i am just stating that what is shown in the screen shots is quite extraordinary whether it occurred via hardware error that caused a miscalculation of his dl rate or via something fucking odd happening on the isp's side.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
sorry i exaggerated when i said fiber to every house. he just so happens to be one of the lucky ones that already has fiber i am well aware that you cannot download faster than what your hard drive can handle writing up to. he wasn't downloading at that speed, his network MAY HAVE BEEN running at that speed maybe. in reality he was probably downloading at 150mbs at the maximum which means that he was exaggerating when he said he downloaded it in less than a second but there is still the issue of the fact that both steam and rainmeter said he spiked at that speed. i am not saying i completely believe him. i don't. i am just stating that what is shown in the screen shots is quite extraordinary whether it occurred via hardware error that caused a miscalculation of his dl rate or via something fucking odd happening on the isp's side.

Holy crap. That NEVER happens on this forum.

Kudos, fine sir, for accepting a different possible scenario. :yesway:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I think maybe he had downloaded most of it already, and Steam was just finishing up the download.