My pickups sound/feel weak

• Thread starter no_dice
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I recently changed from EMG-707s in my Hellraiser C-7 to a Duncan Custom 7 in the bridge and Jazz 7 in the neck. I also had push/pull pots installed so I could tap the coils. I don't know if I'm just crazy, but now they sound choked or restrained compared to my other guitars on the same patches on my POD X3.

I know different guitars are going to have different sounds and responses, blah blah blah, but I usually don't have a problem playing different guitars on the same patches. This guitar however, something just feels off about the sound. I recorded a short clip of the C-7 against my Epiphone Les Paul on the same patch. Maybe someone can offer some insight?

Weak pickup issue by KenDulcie on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxoom

Scumbag of the Earth
Reaction score
Weaker passive pickups with tone-power robbing push/pull pots.I hate them pots.Pure signal path is key to good guitar tone.You add connections and signal path inside the pot with those.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I didn't realize those push/pull pots would affect the tone. I think I'll switch them out for normal ones and see if that clears things up. Thanks for the input!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Check pot impedance, you need 500k.

Did you use the cap from the EMG's for your tone cap? That'll do it too

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Normally my guy is really good about that stuff. I thought he put all new electronics in, since that's what he usually does, but I'm going to double check. He may not have changed the tone pot, but I know for a fact he changed the jack and volume pots. He also had to add a bridge ground. I guess Schecter doesn't bother to ground the bridge since EMGs are shielded.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I bought a Jackson new that came with EMG's or passives (SLS) and my EMG laden one had a ground. Either way if you have one now that's fine. It won't affect sound just reduce noise.

captcoolaid

MHD PICKUPS
Reaction score
Push pulls have little to no audible loss in tone. The volume roll off is where the issue comes in. Most meter at best 438-460 for a 500k pot. and 238 for a 250. Get some good 550k pots, and good caps. Yes you need to ground via the bridge. Also use buss wire for all your grounding. Braided can and often does leave a lot to be desired in quieting your pups.

Petie

Reaction score
Hmm... I hear what you mean (and thanks for providing a clip). The wrong tone pot could definitely do it. A few other things to check:

How's the pickup height?

Does it still happen when you turn the noise gate off? I often set up different versions of my patches for different guitars because the noise gate can do funny things when presented with a different input signal to the one it was initially programmed with.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I've messed with the pickup height a bit and nothing seemed to fix the issue. I've been so busy I keep forgetting to call my guy to fix it. I considered the noise gate could be affecting it, but it has the weirdness on every patch with varying gate settings (even cleans!). I've played at least 7 guitars on the same patches and had no such issue with choking the sound.

I'm going to get in touch with the guy today and see if he can replace the pots this weekend and see if that helps. I don't really need to tap the coils anyway. I just figured it would be neat to have more options to experiment with.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Have you checked the pots resistance (500K?)?

I looked but I can't see on these crazy push pull pots where the resistance is. I'm sure he knows better, because he's changed several pickups out for me.