My preamp or poweramp is making a noise -- bad tube?

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the issue is or what is causing it. I run two Synergy Syn-2 preamps, some OS modules, and a Fryette Power Station PS-2A into one of my two cabs.

I noticed a noise while tuning up my guitar prior to playing. I'm terrible at describing the sound, but I hear it through the speakers. Sort of a "pffffp" sound would the best I can describe it.

Is it a bad tube or something?

Edit:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
First things first: test all cables.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eliminate cables first, as that could be a lot of things, but if it starts doing it more it is likely a power tube starting to go. The EL34s in my JJ started doing that when they were beginning to go. It still worked fine but started to progressively make those popping noises.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Eliminate cables first, as that could be a lot of things, but if it starts doing it more it is likely a power tube starting to go. The EL34s in my JJ started doing that when they were beginning to go. It still worked fine but started to progressively make those popping noises.
Should I just unhook everything but the Fryette Power Station PS-2A, speaker cable, and 412?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
This is kind of what it sounded like, but not as frequent. If limiting to just the Power Station PS-2A and cab, I'll order some new 6L6 tubes. What's a good brand of 6L6 tubes these days?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'm thinking JJs, but I'm open to options. I'm also not sure what are in the Power Station PS-2A currently.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
It seems to do this with just the Power Station PS-2A, cable, and 412 cabinet. I'm going to replace the power tubes and the preamp tube in the Power Station, then go from there.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I'm thinking JJs, but I'm open to options. I'm also not sure what are in the Power Station PS-2A currently.

JJs are very good. I used to insist on Mesa tubes (for my Mesas), but they've become stupid expensive in recent years (at least where a full set for my 2:90 is concerned, and also tough to find :ugh: ) and JJs still bring home the bacon. There are a lot of tube cork sniffer/wine snobs out there who dive very deep into them, but I have too many to maintain to get into that....

Svetlanas are also great, but have become spendy.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
JJs are very good. I used to insist on Mesa tubes (for my Mesas), but they've become stupid expensive in recent years (at least where a full set for my 2:90 is concerned, and also tough to find :ugh: ) and JJs still bring home the bacon. There are a lot of tube cork sniffer/wine snobs out there who dive very deep into them, but I have too many to maintain to get into that....

Svetlanas are also great, but have become spendy.
So basically JJs are the working man, blue collar "it gets the job done and well" option?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Tube snobs seem to sniff at them, so I guess so.....

But when I crank my amps with JJs, no one knows the difference. :wavey:
Fair lol. I'm kind of wondering though why, as it seems to me, that the tubes are starting to develop noises after only using them a few months. It wasn't even frequently, either.