My Stupidest Guitar

• Thread starter Heretick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
I own a very ridiculous guitar. Let me explain.

When I was 16, I won a guitar off of the wall of a waterpark arcade. A Zebra-striped strat copy by the brand "Mahar". It was one of the worst guitars I've ever laid my hands on, as you could imagine. Spending god knows how long on a waterpark arcade's wall and enduring the extremes of humidity and moistness that brings had wreaked unspeakable levels of havoc upon a neck that was, to be fair, probably borderline trash in the first place (as an aside, there was also an acoustic guitar on the wall that I could've opted to get instead. Try to imagine how awful THAT thing probably was).

Once the novelty wore off and I was left with the reality that this guitar-shaped object was a basically unplayable (in tune, at least) pile of junk, it sort of just languished unplayed as a trophy and a funny story I could tell.

Well, I also love modifying guitars, and this guitar became my ground-zero for my highly-unskilled first attempts at... nearly everything that has to do with modifying a guitar, honestly. There were some really quite incredible mistakes along the way. You'll see. The guitar has also kept evolving over the years, so some of the newer modifications are significantly more well executed. But without further ado, on to the the pictures.

FullGuitar.jpg

Here we have the guitar as it exists now. S-S (with a dummy pickup in the middle). Bridge pickup is a Tele pickup out of an Indio Tele clone, neck pickup is an extremely inexpensive Alnico 5 piece from STRATosphere. My first (and only) attempt at relicing a guitar, mainly because I just thought this thing would be really fun to just beat the shit out of. New neck, of course. We'll... we'll get to that.

GuitarBody.jpg

FretHoles.jpg

Hahahahaha, yeah... One of the most rookie mistakes possible; when drilling the holes on the heel, I blew clean through to the fretboard and through the frets! Incredible. And yet, the frets remain fully playable. I got VERY lucky.

Saddles.jpg

The bridge is off an old Mexican-made Squier from the 90s. Let's talk more about the neck for a moment: The neck is a cheap Chinese strat neck from a time when the market wasn't flooded with options like it is now. Virtually the only game in town at the time was a company called Kmise. Decent necks, but they had a glaring issue: the heels weren't shaped correctly and as such don't sit fully all the way into the pocket. This was ultimately a known issue with Kmise necks, and I'm not sure you can really get them anymore. The saddles are adjusted so far out because that's the only way that it will intonate properly. And... yeah, it actually manages to intonate pretty much spot on with the bridge like this. Again, I got extremely lucky. Also you definitely cannot use this thing as a vibrato lmao. Full lock-down.

BoatJack.jpg

I flipped the boat jack inside-out, because why not, I guess?

GibbySwitchTip.jpg

A Gibson-style switch tip jammed onto a blade switch. Because, again, why the hell not?

Scallop5Thru11.jpg

This guitar ended up being the sort of quick-and-dirty proof-of-concept of my favorite way to scallop a fretboard. It's a light/medium scallop that starts only under the three treble strings from the 5th fret on, and then the full fret from the 12th to the 22nd. I love it.

ArmRelic.jpg

A closeup on some of the "relicing". You can also see that the body is made from multiple sandwich laminates of plywood. It's hilarious.

ScallopSideview.jpg

IncredibleTuners.jpg

Absolutely incredible tuner install job. Squier tuners with the two pegs in the back that I really didn't have a good template for, so I just sorta.... winged it. The results are... as you would expect out of young, inexperienced me. Well, it fits the vibe, at least...

So, despite everything I just showed you, despite the fact that the guitar is constructed out of spare parts and actual trash, this guitar absolutely FUCKS. It sounds incredible, it plays like butter, and is just funny as hell. I have no goddamn idea how I blindly lucked my way into this thing turning out as shockingly excellent as it did, but holy shit. It's so fun. And so stupidly cool.

Seriously. Shit audio quality and it's just some random improv shred, but it gets the point across.

Let me know all the terrible things you think about this guitar! And if you have any experience with (or even own!) a particularly stupid guitar yourself, I'd love to hear about it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It would be even funnier if you snapped the headstock off and insulted everyone in this thread! /s

That's an awesome project, glad it turned out as a major player! As long it does what you want it doesn't matter what it's worth. Prime example of just have fun with it lol

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely a cool story behind how you got it, and the perfect excuse to sharpen your teeth with modding and general tinkering. I can't believe you drill through the fretboard and the fret, but even more impressive is how CLEANLY you drilled through the fret! And it still plays decently after that! Always love seeing something like this, and you'll probably keep that thing forever and be fond of it.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
I heard that Mahar is Glarry's maiden name
I've always wondered about this ever since I saw that Zebra-striped Glarry strat! It literally looks like the exact same design, they just shifted the paint template a little bit lol. I might have to pick up one of those Glarrys some day...

...I can't believe you drill through the fretboard and the fret, but even more impressive is how CLEANLY you drilled through the fret! And it still plays decently after that!...
Yeah, this still blows my own mind haha. Soft frets? Good drill bits? Both? Probably both lol. But yeah, my heart sank when I first realized what I had done, but I pretty quickly ascertained that, in all cases, the actual crown of the fret was untouched. So I decided to just roll with it and see if it would work, and, what do you know, it was fine lmao. And it's been, god, like 6 or 7 years? Still fine!

I have to ask...what is up with the pickguard on the lower horn?
I've always liked when I saw strats with pickguards that don't cover that lower horn, so I decided to try to just cut/ break off just the tip of this one to sort of keep with the relic'd theme. Then I screwed the broken off tip back down, cuz why the hell not? I think it looks funny, and it's fun to spin it around every once in a while lmao. Incidentally, I've since put together a few XGP parts Strats and have removed the entire lower pickguard horns from them, much more cleanly and professionally, thanks at least in part to the little bit of experience I got here, haha. I really love that look.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I love this!
I have a similar plywood Strat copy, and somehow, the amount of mojo it has is incredible. Similarly impressive instrument!

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Ahhhhh dude I love guitar shaped objects! I did the same thing lmao I was driving home from Vegas and we got snowed in heading over the mountains into CA so we were stuck in Reno for a night. Ended up winning one in a ring toss game killing time with my pops. I tortured the absolute hell out of that thing learning how to fix / break / fix / modify / fix / set up a guitar.

Wicked story lol and wicked cool that you actually got it to be a fun guitar to play.