NAD - B52-AT100 - Lost n' Found

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I recently posted a NAD for an Acoustic B200 bass combo. I found that it wasn't sounding too good when cranked up in a band setting, just not enough power for a good tone at those volumes. So i returned it today, couldn't find anything worthwhile in my price range as far as bass amps go, but I saw the B52 combo.

Backstory- I've owned both the head and combo versions of this previously, both being sold - without too many details why, I'll just say I'll be clean for a year on Aug 12 :hbang:. Anyhow, i couldn't resist the chance to get this back, so i walked out with a guitar amp, and stoked to have it back after losing it twice - I'll worry about bass later and use the band's amp for bass.

Love all the useful options on this amp, 2 high gain channels, footswitchable effects loop and reverb, which still works (many of these had bad reverb). The tubes are all Sovteks, which i believe were stock on the later ones.

Fortunately, is has the standard caster slots which i used right away, this thing is a backbreaker!! Running it in stereo chorus with the Blackstar combo sounds killer. Also, i had never boosted it when i owned it before, this thing really takes a boost well.

STP62861.jpg

STP62862.jpg

STP62864.jpg

STP62863.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ Nice man! what speakers do you have in that cab and how's it sound?

I'm not sure about these B52 speakers. Overall the sound is good, but there's some slight fizz, almost more of a hiss in the tail of my dirt tone. I'm thinking a speaker swap might help that out.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
The speakers are the stock Genz Benz speakers (forgot what they are specifically). And they sound really thick and meaty and bassy! Since you have the combo version, I'd recommend getting the Genz Benz GB212 G-Flex cab (2x12 version of my 4x12). It's supposed to be just as heavy sounding!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I just got back from practice and i'm blown away.

Granted, i was using a 20watt combo before, but this thing sounds great. Not worried about the fizz, at high volumes there's nothing but good tone.

I actually ran both the B52 and blackstar in stereo, but the b52 was set louder and was about 90% of my tone. Beastly, is how i'd describe it. My bandmates were wide-eyed after the first song. Love this amp!!!

Haters can go ahead and hate on an inexpensive amp - either way, when you see me play, it's gonna sound good!!

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Cheers dude! People need to realize that this is a true rectifier that DOESN'T cost $1800. Amazing head!

However, I'll be upgrading to a Marshall JVM210H pretty soon for two reasons. 1. I need just a hint more gain and better gain saturation. And 2. I need a tighter sound (not djent tight but a bit less flub).

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ word, yeah without a boost the low B definitely flubs out. However, boosted it's plenty tight enough for my purposes, we actually just changed one of our song's parts from key of E to B for that reason, nice and chuggy. :hbang:

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
How does thing handle "bedroom" volumes for just playing around the house?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
It does low volume pretty nicely. It's high gain, and you really don't need to crank it to get a nice metal tone. A boost helps alot with that. You will probably notice some fizz at low volume, but it's still a nice tone.

The cleans, like most tube amps do, warm up as you turn up, but it's by no means bad cleans at low volume.