NAD: because I'm so god damn excited that I can't even wait until its off 30 day hold

• Thread starter XeoFLCL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to turn the one I had here up very loud, but from what I understand, the insane low-end from the Pull bass control is lessened/diminished as the Master Volume is pushed up.

So it's kinda for making the amp sound fuller when at low volumes.

I'd be interested in some pics of the preamp tubes you described. I didn't recognize the unmarked ones in this amp. And I assumed they were the stock originals... like to see if they are the same as yours.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
The question is just, then: Will it Doom?

Or rather, will YOU Doom?!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
^oh yes she doom.

The bass boost on my old Laney combo was 15db.

The 80s had some niiice amps!

Congrats!

knagy0325

Reaction score
I had the combo version of this years ago, but didn`t like it that much then sold it.
Bought it even cheaper than you, I was lucky I guess. I used to see them on german ebay back then.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
She's home!

Here she is with my main player and my pedalboard :)
J8U0pQi.jpg

tedtan

Reaction score
Hey, my AOR was missing some knobs when I bought it, too. Since I couldn't find the correct knobs at the time, I put chicken head knobs on it instead. It sounds twice as good now! :fawk: :cool:

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Hey, my AOR was missing some knobs when I bought it, too. Since I couldn't find the correct knobs at the time, I put chicken head knobs on it instead. It sounds twice as good now! :fawk: :cool:

I honestly can't imagine putting anything but chickenhead knobs on a Laney, it just comes to mind first for me. Infact, that's probably the only thing I don't like about the AOR, those stock knobs just don't fit the look. Regardless, the main plan was to replace them all, but I had issues with one not wanting to come off. Granted, I did manage to get it off after buying a new flathad screwdriver and here she is now :hbang:

xWUN8F6.jpg

Also since I'm sure people have noticed it, yes I actually play this amp EQ'd flat and with dime'd gain which is something I've never really done until this amp, because on this it feels like the more gain there is, the more ....ing brutal it sounds and I love it that way. Though, I do feel that when I get the chance to really crank the amp this coming friday at rehearsal I'll probably adjust the gain according to volume as the EL34s are sure to kick in and do their job of bringing me some beautiful power section drive to replace that gain desire. I think I finally found my amp match :)

Oh yeah, someone asked earlier what was in the amp tube-wise, and I found out it has Electro Harmonix EL34s along with 4 Sovtek 12ax7wxt+s, really straightfoward choice but I actually am liking it. Might try mixing in some vintage preamp tubes I have (a couple sylvanias and telefunken 12ax7 tubes) or throwing a JJ ECC83 in the mix and see what happens. I am VERY happy about the preamp tubes however, as I already have Electro Harmonix EL34s on hand which is great to know. Also, I haven't cracked the amp completely open yet, but there are some oddities. Some of the potentiometers are not stock, which imples there was a repair, which could also mean modifications. I'll crack 'er open sometime this week and see what's inside and let you guys know if anything seems different.

neoclassical

FENRISMAW
Reaction score
Petty obsessions. If this is heaven, how bad is he
I love my AOR. I've had a ton of mod work done on it though. It went from pretty much perfect to -OMFG that's the sound in my head!

Try Pres, Bass, and Treb on 6, Mids on 4 gain, boost, and volume as needed. I have other controls on mine, but that a good starting point.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
I love my AOR. I've had a ton of mod work done on it though. It went from pretty much perfect to -OMFG that's the sound in my head!

Try Pres, Bass, and Treb on 6, Mids on 4 gain, boost, and volume as needed. I have other controls on mine, but that a good starting point.

Which mods did you get done? I'm interested in getting some work done on mine in the future, and while I can't imagine it sounding better.. who says it can't exceed my imaginations and blow my mind? :D

neoclassical

FENRISMAW
Reaction score
Petty obsessions. If this is heaven, how bad is he
I have a custom high gain Jose Arrendondo mod, and add-on controls (bottom push-pull, mid girth) and custom feel control (sweep able pot instead of 5 way switch). Mercury Magnetics out put tranny. The gain boost is disconnected (one or two caps in the switching system are notorious for blowing up), as well as the push pull pots on the tone controls (the add-ons replace them). The treble pot was also replaced with a different value pot that sounds much better. It only takes 3 preamp tubes now but gets as much gain as when it had 4. Trace at Voodoo has a soft spot for the AOR's so he seems to like working on them as well.

Also try a set of Tung Sol el34b power tubes and matched/balanced Chinese preamp tubes.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Was wondering what you meant by the boost and then I remembered the amp has the 4th tube engaged via plugging into high. Yeah I might do the same, can you PM me with more information, maybe a quote that you got for the work? I'm very very interested, as this is definitely going to be my main amp from hereon out and I couldn't find the AOR on the site for their mods, for some reason. Only the VH100R. Also as for tubes, for powertubes there's a pair of svetlanas in her right now, though I will look into Tung Sol. I have some Electro Harmonix on hand though, and I've heard that people either absolutely love how it sounds with EH tubes, or they have tons of issues even getting the amp to accept them, oddly. I'll find out where I fall in that equation.

EDIT: I think I get how this works now, I just kind of select the things huh :lol: