NAD! EVH 5150 III 50W EL34 (clips inside)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I got a new amp!
It's an EVH 5150III 50W EL34 and I also got the matching cab.
This amp sounds beastly, really loving how organic and 'barky' it sounds while retaining good clarity and tight punch.
It's pretty loud too.

I'm currently running it through my Fractal Audio LB-2 load box with IR's for recording so loudness isn't an issue.
I can turn up the master to a nice level without disturbing the kids or neighbors.

I love each channel.
The clean channel is good and despite some negative reviews I do think the blue channel is cool, it's got a looser vibe ala Soldano or Marshall, great for rock.
Then if you need the super tight aggressive metal you just turn on the Red channel and voila.

So overall killer amp and I would highly recommend this amp to anybody who is looking for a great and somewhat affordable rock/metal amp, especially for metal.

Of course I had to make a clip, so here is my first ever song with this amp:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I got a new amp!
It's an EVH 5150III 50W EL34 and I also got the matching cab.
This amp sounds beastly, really loving how organic and 'barky' it sounds while retaining good clarity and tight punch.
It's pretty loud too.

I'm currently running it through my Fractal Audio LB-2 load box with IR's for recording so loudness isn't an issue.
I can turn up the master to a nice level without disturbing the kids or neighbors.

I love each channel.
The clean channel is good and despite some negative reviews I do think the blue channel is cool, it's got a looser vibe ala Soldano or Marshall, great for rock.
Then if you need the super tight aggressive metal you just turn on the Red channel and voila.

So overall killer amp and I would highly recommend this amp to anybody who is looking for a great and somewhat affordable rock/metal amp, especially for metal.

Of course I had to make a clip, so here is my first ever song with this amp:

"An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: w2eB6nrNZujp005h)"

I couldn't see the video, but I do agree with your comments. It's pretty much my favourite amp. Crunch. Old school stuff. Modern stuff. Totally brutal. Handles downtuned guitars no problem. And you'll always be heard.

I presume you'll be doing another epic plugin vs real thing comparison soon? This one I'm really curious about because I think it's a much easier sound to copy than the dual recto. To me, I can get really really close with Thermionik Psycho C. TSE X50 is also close, though that's based on an original 5150 so it's a bit looser and thicker.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
"An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: w2eB6nrNZujp005h)"

I couldn't see the video, but I do agree with your comments. It's pretty much my favourite amp. Crunch. Old school stuff. Modern stuff. Totally brutal. Handles downtuned guitars no problem. And you'll always be heard.

I presume you'll be doing another epic plugin vs real thing comparison soon? This one I'm really curious about because I think it's a much easier sound to copy than the dual recto. To me, I can get really really close with Thermionik Psycho C. TSE X50 is also close, though that's based on an original 5150 so it's a bit looser and thicker.

btw, do you also own the EL34 version?
The 6L6 version obviously seems killer too but I'm loving the mids on my EL34 50 watter...

KailM

Reaction score
Man, I want to try one of these so bad! I love my 6L6 version, but I really want to compare them. I've got a 6505 as well and it more or less beats the EVH for all types of brutal tones. The EL 34 version seems to have a little more aggression than the 6l6 version. Also, I'm not that big of a fan of the 6l6 blue channel (I know, heresy). To me, it sounds like the red channel, only neutered. I'd be interested in the thicker blue channel of the EL 34 version, and tighten it up with an OD pedal.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Man, I want to try one of these so bad! I love my 6L6 version, but I really want to compare them. I've got a 6505 as well and it more or less beats the EVH for all types of brutal tones. The EL 34 version seems to have a little more aggression than the 6l6 version. Also, I'm not that big of a fan of the 6l6 blue channel (I know, heresy). To me, it sounds like the red channel, only neutered. I'd be interested in the thicker blue channel of the EL 34 version, and tighten it up with an OD pedal.

The blue channel with a boost sounds super tight!
I mostly prefer amps without boost so I just use the red channel.
However if boosts are your thing, blue with a TS or something similar sounds super tight.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Will have to check out this video when I have a moment to slip on headphones or am back at home.

I'm generally a big fan of EL34 amps, my Marshall SLX is one of my favourite high gain tones, would love to try and swap my 100watt 6L6 for the EL34 50 watt, get the resonance knob and the Midi would make it the ultimate rig with myhelix, and match my Marshall cab better.

KailM

Reaction score
The blue channel with a boost sounds super tight!
I mostly prefer amps without boost so I just use the red channel.
However if boosts are your thing, blue with a TS or something similar sounds super tight.

Yeah, I don't use a boost with the red channel -- it doesn't need it, and actually sounds worse with one. The 6L6 blue channel does need one though, to make me happy. I do like the lead tones I get out of that channel. The red crushes it for rhythms though.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
HNAD!

The EL34 is my favourite. I've owned the 6L6 twice now but won't sell the EL34. I use mostly red channel but have put 5751s? in to lower the gain on red and it is immense!