NAD: EVH 5150iii 50w and 2x12 Mesa Recto Cab

shredder3386

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on a proper amp rig. Ive been lusting after a 5150 for as long as I can remember but due to having small children in the house Ive never been able to justify having something that huge in my studio. I finally bit the bullet on the 50w version of the 5150ii and my god is it awesome. Up until now I have been using my Axefx II to jam/record/practice etc and although I love it I was definitely missing having an amp in the room. It just reacts in such a different way. Being a Colin Richardson and Andy Sneap fan, I figured I had to get a Recto cab to go with it too. Its taken me a bit to get it dialed in the way I like, but I threw a maxon 808 and a decimator on there to tighten things up and it sounds massive now. My only complaint would be I didn't realize how loud this thing can actually get. It goes from manageable volume at 0.4 (of 10!) to literally scaring the neighbours dog four doors down when the knob is at 1. Its also opened up a lot of doors to use with the axefx from using just the amp with a cab sim (need a load box eventually) or even running other power amp sims through the Mesa Cab. Anyway here is some crappy iPhone pics, Im off to go shake the house of its supports.

IMG_1739.JPG IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1750.JPG IMG_1751.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Nice! I have considered picking one of those up.

The 5153 model on the Axe-FX II is one of my favorites....

shredder3386

Reaction score
Nice! I have considered picking one of those up.

The 5153 model on the Axe-FX II is one of my favorites....
Haha do it dude, you won’t be disappointed. It one of mine on my Axe as well, and as much as I love my Axefx, it doesn’t do it justice how juicy this thing sounds in person :)

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
looks awesome, good fit on top of that 2x12 as well. I have the 100 watt and I love it, it has its own thing going on compared to a lot of other amps.

Also its tough to find that sweet tv volume spot between zero and one lol. happy NAD

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Sweet NAD. I had one a few years ago and suspect I might still have it if it’d had the concentric knob setup.

shredder3386

Reaction score
looks awesome, good fit on top of that 2x12 as well. I have the 100 watt and I love it, it has its own thing going on compared to a lot of other amps.

Also its tough to find that sweet tv volume spot between zero and one lol. happy NAD
Lol thanks a lot man, and ya I agree. It’s a pretty unique tone, and it’s rare to find an amp where all three channels have solid, usable tones.

shredder3386

Reaction score
Sweet NAD. I had one a few years ago and suspect I might still have it if it’d had the concentric knob setup.
Thanks dude! Ya that was a major selling feature for me, i did some research and made sure mine had concentric knobs first. Seems like a lot of people had issues with version 1.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with that setup! My main rig for a while was a 5153 50w through a horizontal Recto 2x12 and I could always cut though my band mix :yesway:

shredder3386

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with that setup! My main rig for a while was a 5153 50w through a horizontal Recto 2x12 and I could always cut though my band mix :yesway:
Nice! Ya it’s been my dream setup for awhile now. Did you use any boosts or anything with it or just the amp tone?

Meeotch

Reaction score
I had this exact setup but couldn't quite get along with the v30's in the Mesa cab. Sold it and bought the matching 4x12 and OMG. I tried the EVH 2x12 too but it was missing something. Sweet rig man...and if you ever get a chance to try it with the G12EVH speakers don't hesitate!