NAD: gsp1101 (with the update)

• Thread starter Gmork
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gmork

Reaction score
First off, tube snobs need not apply, it will not win you over. For the rest of us, DAAAANNG! This thing can do vh140 style brutal death metal tones all day!!!! Right up my alley!
Sounds great through my rocktron velocity300. At low volumes at least, cant wait to crank it sometime. I only messed around last night for a handful of hrs but ive got it sounding beast af!!

And as other owners know the delays and reverbs sound pretty incredible!!
Only thing that hasnt really wowedme are the tubescreamer models, they dont react/sound the same as a real one for boosting.
Also am i able to choose the order of my fx in the signal chain??

All in all im VERY happy with this. Got the gsp mint with the crucial update, an rfx midi buddy footswitch and 4u milkcrate rack case for $225 (canadian) from a real cool dude!
Clips to come

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scordare

Reaction score
I have the same rig! It is truly an awesome preamp and the pair has no problem keeping up in a loud band. The 5150 II model is my favorite. One secret is to put the compressor POST amp..even if it’s not turned on, it sucks the tone like a pedal does. You won’t believe the difference it makes!

Gmork

Reaction score
Hows the RG100ES model sound on it? No one ever talks about it.
Didnt play with it too much but i seemed pretty fat and fizzy and dark, but nice and thick so prob a good base to buildoff of.
Will probably try it out with a parametric to tighten it up.

Scordare

Reaction score
Be sure to check out the harmonizer too.. even though it only does 1 voice, nothing tracks faster and cleaner. I’ve owned a IPS33B, DHP55, HR-2...played with a DHP33 and H3000..none of them performs as good as the GSP. Set it for a 3rd up, select key and shred away!

WarMachine

Reaction score
Roll the gain back to around 40-45 on the 5150 II patch, then throw on the dyna comp, both knobs dimed. That will give you all the crunch in the world, cleans up perfectly and sustains for days!

dhgrind

Reaction score
How does it compare to the tight metal in terms of preamps? I’ve had the updated gsp before and used it for jamming and recording demos and it sounded pretty good (better than any VST’s I’ve found so far)

Gmork

Reaction score
How does it compare to the tight metal in terms of preamps? I’ve had the updated gsp before and used it for jamming and recording demos and it sounded pretty good (better than any VST’s I’ve found so far)
Apples and oranges. Ive always thought the TM honestly sounded tube like and very "real". The gsp to me sounds wicked but still very much solidstate like, just has that kiiinda digital fizzy highend and has a different feel, which is NOT a bad thing, just different. If i was forced at gun point to pick which i personally like better then its the TM all the way. But again, the gsp is capable of a lot it seems, can get suuuuper brutal and laser tight.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It was interesting. A bit fizzy and slightly dark iirc.
I actually liked using that and the 5150 mostly when I had one.

Didnt play with it too much but i seemed pretty fat and fizzy and dark, but nice and thick so prob a good base to buildoff of.
Will probably try it out with a parametric to tighten it up.

Welp, sounds like the old RG80ES I used to own.

Gmork

Reaction score
How do patches work? Say i go download a patch from breeding the spawn. Then what? Goes on my pc, connect the gsp to my pc and copy paist the patch file..... Somewhere?

chopeth

Reaction score
5 years with mine, I use to colour my 5153 50w with my band, pretty happy

WarMachine

Reaction score
How do patches work? Say i go download a patch from breeding the spawn. Then what? Goes on my pc, connect the gsp to my pc and copy paist the patch file..... Somewhere?
Open up X-Edit and open the preset there. You probably have already done this but make sure that you download the C63 version of X-Edit, otherwise it won't work with the final firmware.

EDIT: Pulled the trigger a little early there lol. Once you get the patch and if you want it stored on your GSP, go to Device > Store Preset. You can save the presets inside of X-Edit to whatever channel you want, but until you save the preset inside the GSP itself it will always go back to whatever preset you had prior to. This sounds like a pain but is actually pretty handy because there has been several times i've fvcked with a new sound and not really dug it. All i had to do was change patches and it was back to where it was before.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Mine will never stop being the "Brain" of my rack. I will eventually replace the Control 2 with a GCP to be able to control more things. I can't live without the Univibe for cleans and love the flanger. Stock settings nail the Unchained sound imo. Definitely real overdrives in front of it work better. This led me down the whole loop switcher rabbit hole to stay all midi. I still need to learn the trick of routing the amp models to one side and real preamp to the other. The loop settings still confuse me with their percentages. I'm on 11 years with mine.

vick1000

Reaction score
If it seems a little "fizzy" be sure your I/O settings are right for your setup. Also moving the comp does have a major effect, even if it's off.

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
In the Distortion/Overdrive block try using the 3-Band EQ if you have no use for the tubescreamers. Can help tighten things up