NAD: KSR Juno 100

• Thread starter oneblackened
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
This one's a NAMM special - I bought it off the show floor. These amps are mostly high gain channel switching monsters, so I'll go over what it's got. It's got a dedicated clean channel with its own separate preamp, and two overdrive channels with identical modes.
The modes are:
1.Lead, the most saturated and highest gain mode.
2. Crunch, essentially a "backed off" version of Lead that is quite versatile and touch sensitive.
3. Clip, a nod to Jose-style modded Marshalls. This mode is unique to the Juno. They're actually slightly different between OD 1 and OD 2.
The OD channels also have a "feel" control that dramatically changes the low and midrange response of the amp, anywhere from super tight (1) to almost Mesa Rectifier levels of loose and bassy (6).
The Juno is nominally EL34 power section, but almost any octal power tube will work (minus 6V6s, perhaps). So of course the first thing I did was throw KT88s in, because I am a sucker for big bottles. The power transformer stayed totally cool after biasing to 44mA per tube, about 60% of 35W at ~473V B+. I'm probably going to buy some Tung-Sol 6550s and swap them out, though - I think a slightly brighter, grindier tube would be a decent choice.

Sonically, this amp is insanely percussive - palm mutes don't flub at all, even considerably downtuned. It's quite smooth and not fizzy on the top and it's got a kind of throaty growling lower mid thing going on. It's more or less what would happen if you mixed an Uberschall with an SLO with a mix of that Fryette style fast attack. It makes sense given the enormous iron in this thing - I think Kyle Rhodes took a cue from Soldano on that one.

Anyway, you're all here for pics, I'm sure.
2020-01-26-00-27-28.jpg

2020-01-25-13-03-41.jpg

The absolutely enormous power transformer.
2020-01-26-02-38-02.jpg

And I had to include some gut shots. There's some really unique features here - my favorite of which is the individually fused power tubes.
2020-01-25-11-15-55.jpg

2020-01-25-11-16-51.jpg

and, as a bonus - here's a clip.
https://soundcloud.com/davidfuller-1/ksr-juno-100-metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
HNAD!

This is my favorite amp out of anything that I've owned or played. The Crunch on this is way better than on the Colossus and Gemini, and the Clip mode gives it something unique.

Don't be afraid to push the Presence to like 3:00 unless you're pushing the master too.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
HNAD!

This is my favorite amp out of anything that I've owned or played. The Crunch on this is way better than on the Colossus and Gemini, and the Clip mode gives it something unique.

Don't be afraid to push the Presence to like 3:00 unless you're pushing the master too.
Oh I'm running the presence real high. Kyle likes a LOT of negative feedback so a lot of high end boost does it a lot of good.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Dude I had 6550s in my Colossus and it fuckin RIPPED. Kyle knows how to build an amp! HNAD dude