NAD - Marshall DSL20H and SV212 Cab

• Thread starter Vyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Bit of a long winded story to start with: I sold my Randall Thrasher and Orange PPC412 early this year when I moved in with my girlfriend as I didn't have anywhere to store it, her place is rather small and I wasn't gigging at the time(which is actually probably my biggest fuck up this year, should have sold that thing! But anyway...).

I've been living off of plugins and a HX Stomp for a while now which to be honest has been actually pretty good, however it's all been through headphones and I miss hearing an actual speaker. Based on the amount of space I would likely have, a 1x12 or a 2x12 was going to be the best fit. I also didn't want something with V30s in it - I wanted something quite different which interestingly made the choice quite difficult as sonically I didn't know what to listen for. So it got thrown on the back burner while I started sifting through different IR's to try and work out what I'd like in a cabinet. Eventually I got bored and forgot about it.

Separately to all of that I had planned on getting a Marshall DSL to run through a loadbox to have some fun replicating Nile tones and other filthy death metal shenanigans. I was in my local music store and saw this DSL20H sitting next to this SV212 cab and thought "Fuck, those two would look visually sick together!" So I took a gamble and bought both!

IMG-1938.jpg

The DSL20H can JUST be played at a comfortable room volume on the 10W mode in my house without bleeding outside the walls (thin walls, close neighbours, I was a bit concerned about that). The one thing that I'm disappointed that it doesn't have is a Master Volume knob, although built-in reverb is a nice touch that is usually left off of the smaller amps. Also has Resonance and Presence controls (have seen smaller amps skimp on those as well which is a shame as they are needed on smaller heads more than larger ones IMO). I'm probably going to crack it open and add a master volume control to it at some stage.

Quick tone demo I threw together. Signal is guitar -> Fortin Blade -> DSL20H -> Cab and using just the built in mic in my phone.

Pretty fucking happy with how the tone turned out to be honest given that I gambled on the cab. It's got a pair of G12 V-Types in it which until I'd bought the cab I'd never heard of them (in my IR hunting I was really only considering Greenbacks and Creambacks as alternatives as they were the other speakers I had read up on that were considered good for metal). I haven't had a chance to drive them hard yet due to the sound restrictions however so far I'm liking what I hear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Congrats!! That sounds pretty damn good:agreed:

I think I'm gonna pick up one of these smaller Marshall heads here soon, too......

Reactions: Vyn

Alex79

Reaction score
Although I play quite different music, I love that setup.

The V-type is a good speaker, it’s main weakness are light crunch sounds, where it sounds a bit lacklustre, but the high gain sounds are excellent.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Although I play quite different music, I love that setup.

The V-type is a good speaker, it’s main weakness are light crunch sounds, where it sounds a bit lacklustre, but the high gain sounds are excellent.

That seems to line up with my experience of it - although take that with a grain of salt because I'm in no way a connoisseur of crunch.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Congrats! I wish I could listen to your clip (stupid work is blocking youtube these days--soooo annoying!)

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats! I wish I could listen to your clip (stupid work is blocking youtube these days--soooo annoying!)

It'll be nice to get some external feedback. It's not the most refined tone by any standards, it's dirty and filthy with just enough clarity so it's not complete mud :)

Estilo

Reaction score
Sounds great from you provided in that short clip, but does it have enough gain for death metal unboosted? And you physically went to store to buy it? Aren't you guys on strict lockdown now?

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds great from you provided in that short clip, but does it have enough gain for death metal unboosted? And you physically went to store to buy it? Aren't you guys on strict lockdown now?

I think it has enough gain to be used without a boost, the issue is that the bass gets rather muddy

Bit of a side track - The Australian state of Victoria is on hard lockdown and the state of NSW may be following suit soon however where I live in Tasmania, we are fine. Our government shut the borders to the mainland very early on and we've only had a believe 2-3 new cases in nearly 2 months as a result (those cases were from people who were quarantined on arrival and after having a test, tested positive, however they've been isolated since entering the state). Apart from not being able to go anywhere, things are quite normal here (well, as normal can be post-COVID) so I was able to go into my local store, try and buy :)

Estilo

Reaction score
Great to hear! The DSL series amps are interesting. Was intrigued after seeing Gary Holt use the DSL100H a few years back, plus they're on the affordable side (I own a 212). Might I say I've been into older school death metal now, so more of that old school Marshall charm. It's between that and the 50W 5153 6L6 now...

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Great to hear! The DSL series amps are interesting. Was intrigued after seeing Gary Holt use the DSL100H a few years back, plus they're on the affordable side (I own a 212). Might I say I've been into older school death metal now, so more of that old school Marshall charm. It's between that and the 50W 5153 6L6 now...

That's one of the reasons I wanted to go down the DSL route, they are amazing bang for buck.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
You could try lowering the bass to cut the mud, but bring up the resonance to fill it back in. Running the mids and treble high is a good way to shift the balance away from muddy low end as well. There’s a balance between resonance/bass for tight full bass, and presence/treble to control fizz in the top end.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
You could try lowering the bass to cut the mud, but bring up the resonance to fill it back in. Running the mids and treble high is a good way to shift the balance away from muddy low end as well. There’s a balance between resonance/bass for tight full bass, and presence/treble to control fizz in the top end.

This is what I've ended up doing, although on the guitar signal input than on the amp. Has tightened it up considerably.