NAD Mesa party

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Isn’t the “boost” achieved when cranking the mids on the 25 water necessary to achieve that nasty crunch (which is like a tighter version of the iic+ sound)?

Not really. The mid pot on Channel 1 of the 25 is a higher value than on the 90, so 0-5 is the "normal" range, and 5-10 starts to defeat the tone stack by letting more signal/frequencies flow through to the subsequent gain stages. It's a very fat and mid-focused type of sound that's good for blues, but isn't what you'd want for anything heavy since it doesn't filter out the lows/lower mids pre-gain like you normally would with a Mark.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I've always been curious if the big V and the V:25 are basically the same, just with a bigger power amp. I've never actually tried a full-sized V to compare. Assuming they're mostly the same, don't sleep on the crunch mode. Crunch channel on the 25 is fantastic.

I had both back to back. Started with the V25, and LOVED it. Sold it to get the full size, and absolutely hated it. I fought with it for 6 months before I sold it and got a IV, which I kept for a few years.

The full size was so much more difficult to dial in. Much stiffer and kind of cold sounding. I really struggled to get a juicy kinda feel out of it that the 25 and IV have. Anyway, people seem to love the V, so take that for my opinion on the amp. Vastly preferred the 25, but that amp could not hang at band volume at all. Completely fell apart and started farting out before I could be heard with a drummer.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Vastly preferred the 25, but that amp could not hang at band volume at all.
I find that surprising a bit. Could depend on the cab, and how you dial things. I've played floor shows with the 25, just jammed on a 4x12, xtreme channel, and ran with it. But then I also use more mid-slider than most.

protest

Reaction score
I really liked the V but ended up selling it for the JP2C. Only thing I really miss on the V is mark I mode. That was a fluid sweet lead sound but needed the bass knob OFF and presence high. Thinking of getting a LoneStar to scratch that itch.

Channel 3 on the JP will do that kind of sound, especially with it's own dedicated EQ sliders.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Just did a straight trade for my roadster for a Mark V. I used to have a V and always regretted selling it. The roadster is an epic and amazing amp, but my 5153 gets me “that sound” faster and easier in a more convenient package. I would totally own another one

Only spent a little bit of time with the V so far but just a smile on my face the whole time. This is a very different amp than the mark IV, which is a good thing imo. I like having both :D

15aae2be-441b-4af3-a254-503ddea8fe58-jpeg.23109

042d7d43-f6aa-4bc9-b7c9-cabd6c5d6426-jpeg.23110

When it comes to Mesas, especially Marks, BOTH is always the correct answer. :agreed:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I had both back to back. Started with the V25, and LOVED it. Sold it to get the full size, and absolutely hated it. I fought with it for 6 months before I sold it and got a IV, which I kept for a few years.

The full size was so much more difficult to dial in. Much stiffer and kind of cold sounding. I really struggled to get a juicy kinda feel out of it that the 25 and IV have. Anyway, people seem to love the V, so take that for my opinion on the amp. Vastly preferred the 25, but that amp could not hang at band volume at all. Completely fell apart and started farting out before I could be heard with a drummer.
I can get some of the same sounds from a Mark V, the 525, or my TriAxis, at least ballpark. The headroom in the v 90 watt definitely hits differently than the 525. I have yet to be able to try out a 535 to compare.

If I run Lead 2 Red on the Tri vs the Mark IV mode on a Mark V, I can tell that they are different amps, barely, but cannot always blindly tell which is which.

Latest posts