NAD - Randall RG100ES

• Thread starter JD27
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Went on a Crowbar bender last week and this popped up on Reverb which is never a good thing. The Memorial Day coupon didn't make it any easier to resist. Always wondered about these amps, they were popular with the 80's guys. It's pretty basic as far as amps go, but it is capable of heavy tones even without any other pedals. Didn't even try the cleans, but I have no intention of using them anyway. It's "Sonic Excess In Its Purest Form" that I'm after! What good would it be without and MT-2 to boost it and provide the signature Kirk Windstein tone though, so I found a used on from GC for cheap. Using that with the level at 10 EQ all at noon, and gain at 0 provides the final push over the top that it needs! My Crowbar rig is complete.:agreed:

2EFAA8F3-7FAF-47F5-AE61-2F7E55DD3095_zps972sufng.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Hell yes! :eddie:

I should've bought the one I played about a year ago when I was on a big classic thrash/SS amp kick.

Damn things are LOUD right?

I ended up grabbing a Crate gx130C which is no slouch either, but that Randall still haunts me. I'm so tempted to buy the one in the classifieds right now. :lalala:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Oh it definitely does the classic thrash sound! I always run my heads through my Torpedo Reload, but I'm sure this thing gets crazy loud.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
To this day, I still want to get one of these amps. I mean I already got my Recto which is one of my end-all-be-all amps, but to me this is the solid state version of my end-all-be-all amps, especially a classic pre-1988 one with the grey face.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
It is so mean and thick with the MT-2 as a boost. Probably the only thing that pedal is useful for is boosting this particular amp, because it is a shit show on its own! :lol: Is there a difference in the older grey face models?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It is so mean and thick with the MT-2 as a boost. Probably the only thing that pedal is useful for is boosting this particular amp, because it is a shit show on its own! :lol: Is there a difference in the older grey face models?

I'm not sure how true it is, but they supposedly have less gain and a tighter, brighter sound. Something closer to a Marshall.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Those old Randalls are pretty killer. I had a Century 200II for many years. I used to run it with a 5150 or Triple Rectifier a lot.

As a two amp setup or do you mean as a preamp?

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Dual amp setup. Each into a different 212 cab, with a stereo Chorus pedal in front.

Man I bet that sounded awesome. I set my Viper with Black Winters up for drop B and played it with the MT-2 as a boost through my Mesa 2x12 today. Wow is that one of the nastiest metal tones I've ever heard.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
These ams look really cool, I'd love to pick one up but I've never seen one for sale in this country. And I'm sure it would be overpriced here.

I may aim for the newer RG's as I hear they're similar and really good.

Shask

Reaction score
Man I bet that sounded awesome. I set my Viper with Black Winters up for drop B and played it with the MT-2 as a boost through my Mesa 2x12 today. Wow is that one of the nastiest metal tones I've ever heard.

The Triple Recto + Randall Century was the White Zombie Astrocreep rig, so it sounded amazing for that type of sound.

WhammyZhou69

Reaction score
I feel like you should've saved up for a used or something. I played one of those on Guitar Center and wasn't much of a fan

WhammyZhou69

Reaction score
Oh damn that sounds good actually. Mightve been the cab I was playing it through?

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Oh damn that sounds good actually. Mightve been the cab I was playing it through?

The secret is the MT-2 used to boost the amp. He uses it like most people do an Tubescreamer with high gain heads. EQ is set flat at noon, Level all the way up, Distortion a 0.