NAD: Randall Warhead WH300

jase

Reaction score
New amp arrived today! The Randall Warhead!

Photo first:
11139965_610293085773525_3167744121973282226_n.jpg

One question needs to be out of the way: No, this amp will not give you Dimebag's tone. 1, he used a bunch of outboard gear and 2, you will never get his hands to play like he did. He used the RG100 and Century 200 amps during the majority of his career for the basest of his tone. When this amp came out, he mainly used it for cleans. You will never get that aggressive chainsaw like sound you hear on Pantera albums with just the amp alone.

The Warhead was released in 2000. From the research I did, there were 3 different versions of this model. The first version was made in USA with the power switch on the back of the amp, the 2nd version was made in Korea with the green power switch on the front (the one I have), and I think the 3rd version was made in China. There's a Randall Cyclone, which is a little cheaper and less rare, is pretty much identical to the Warhead without the digital effects. The 2nd gen Warhead was the X2.

I play death/extreme metal most of the time and currently also own a Mesa DR multi-watt, a 5150 block letter and a Mesa Recto cab, so I will be reviewing and comparing the WH with these 2 amps. I also have a Kemper profiling amp which I use to profile my own amps with and it is my recording tool.

This beast is a 300W solidstate with 2 channels. Channel 1 is the clean channel, with level (overall clean channel level), bass, mid, high EQ's and presence. Channel 2 is the distortion channel, with the gain knob (pull for boost), level, bass, mid level, mid sweep, high. Next there is the 9 band EQ, and the last 3 knobs are the digital effects presets, master level, and effects level.

The clean channel is surprisingly nice. I only played briefly through the clean channel, but I can tell it sounds better than the 5150. The DR has the best sounding clean channel by far.

Channel 2 is the distortion channel. The knobs are super sensitive. Especially the mid level and mid sweep knobs. If you set all the knobs at noon, and the graphic EQ at 0, the amp sounds like ..... Really, it sounds like a super loud solid state practice amp. The gain knob doesn't seem to do much after 3, the gain sounds pretty much the same through to 10. The boost mode isn't so obviously either. The 9 band graphic EQ only works with CH2 and it is super sensitive also. Boosting or cutting a band can change the sound drastically. I can have one sound I like, tweak 1 or 2 knobs, and can't get the sound back by reversing the settings.

The WH's EQ section is even harder to tweak than the DR's which is already known for being twitchy. The 5150's EQ is the easiest to tweak, if you even need to do much tweaking with it. I have yet to use the WH in a band mix or recorded mix, but I can tell that the mid sweep is helpful to make the guitar cut through the mix. The sweep is quite wide, and the mid level knob allows for +/- 15dB of adjustment.

After 3 hours of play time, I ended up with a setting like this: Pulled gain at noon, Bass and High maxed out, mid level at 3:00, mid sweep at 3:00, M shape for the 9 band EQ, with the dip at 500k, cutting 63Hz and 16kHz. By cutting 500k it removes the honkiness and boxiness. Boosting 125Hz and 250Hz gives the tone body and power, and boosting 1kHz to 8kHz brings out the gain and attack.

Solidstate amps usually have that instant picking response feel which is bold and solid. This amp has that feeling and I like that. I am talking about the feeling you get as a player, not a listener. The WH is not the tightest sounding amp but it sure feels fast and has a great picking response. The DR is known to be spongy which isn't a bad thing, but when you play fast single note passages common in extreme metal, a spongy feeling pick response can throw you off. Of course, an OD can help with the feel and sound, but the WH just feels much more instant.

Overall, this amp is hard to get a good sound. I would say 5 times harder than tweaking a DR. If you don't know what you are doing, you will get lost. You can't get a good sound out of the box, or even with the manual's suggested settings. The 5150, on the other hand, is easy to use, and pretty much every setting sounds good. I cannot say which of the 3 heads sound better. They all sound very, very different. I can only say the WH is difficult to tweak, and you can sound like ...., or the ...., by tweaking just one single knob. If you love and tube gain, the WH has absolutely nothing for you. There is much less harmonics in the gain than tube heads and much less saturated. The bottom end of the DR is HUGE but this sounds thin in comparison through the same cab. If tube gain could be described as being sweet and colorful, the WH is bitter and dull. I also noticed that it responds to body woods quite well, a mahogany guitar sounded much fuller than an alder or ash with the same settings. The difference is more noticeable than on the 5150 or DR.

Like I said, you won't get Dimebag's tone with just this alone. I have a guitar with a Dimebucker pickup (I will also try the amp with Bill Lawrence pickups, I have a L500R and L500XL), it is a step closer but still far from sounding like him. Though I'm a huge Pantera and Dimebag fan, I didn't get this to sound like him. I got this for collection more than for it's sound, or wanting to sound like Dimebag.

I will tweak it a bit more and try a few more different pickups with it. I hope to record some tracks with it over the next few weeks and I will definitely profile it with my Kemper. I am also very curious to layer the WH with the 5150 or DR to hear how they sound together.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to share my first impression of the amp. I hope this was informative!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
Awesome review, I liked how touched on the difficulty of tweaking this amp.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
I had this version of the warhead for years. It can be absolutely brutal but you have to know what the heck your doing. The EQ is very sensitive and you need to sit down with the amp and go step by step starting with all the controls at noon and mid position. Its important to start with the general Low mid high prescence knobs first then move on to dialing the mid level and mid sweep. Then once you start nearing a good tone with those use the EQ.

The boost is absolutely essential on this amp IMO. Running about 2:00 boosted on the gain was about the sweet spot for me. It is as the OP intimated a solid state amp. The distortion will not have big changes in tone across the dial like a tube amp. Increasing the gain adds like a fine grained grittiness to the distortion rather than just giving more distortion. When it is boosted an in the right position relative to the output of your pickup you can get a very aggressive "sandblasted" sounding distortion. Its also important to bear in mind again that this is not a tube amp, louder was not always better. I found the tone started to get dull if you turned the main volume past 3/4. This is a problem I find in many SS amps pushing the amp to hard tends to cause a cloudiness/haziness in the tone.

Most people that did not like the amp of felt they couldn't get close to Dime's tone usually just did not know how to work the amp. It was never meant to be a plug and play amp. You can get close to dimes tone but you have to be precise with the mid notch and the eq controls. As the OP said you will never have dimes touch though. Its also very important to have a good silencer with a quick cutoff which many do not realize was a big part of his sound. I used to be able to get really close but it always tended to be just a bit thicker than his recorded tone which I personally had no problem with. I would give you some exact pointers on how to get the tone but its been to long since Ive had the amp.

I loved the warhead. It had a very brutal SS distortion that could get much thicker than Dime's tone and was a great sound for death metal. Again like I said you had to know what you were doing. Much like a recto its an amp that you have to live with for a while to learn to get the most out of. Again its not a tube amp it will never be touch sensitive or as sensitive to volume regarding the gain. It doesnt have a "bloom". However what it does, it does awesomely well which is razor sharp sandblasted brutal SS distortion with an eager immediacy in response. The only reason I let it go is because modern tube amps had caught up to prodocing the kind of picking response I like. I finally found ENGL that could be brutal and highly modern but still had that sweet tube distortion.

sylcfh

Reaction score
The T2 had basically the same preamp design as the X2 but with tubes added instead of FETs.

Carvinkook

Reaction score
ran mine with a BBE sonic maximizer, at the time it seemed to help.. That's all I remember really, other than I hate myself
For selling that sweet 4x12 with the silver finish on it. I've never seen one again.

jase

Reaction score
@guitarjitsumaster
thank you for your reassuring comments and your tweaking tips. This amp is definitely a bitch to use but I like the challenge! I was able to get a much better tone today using your guide lines. What I did differently today than the first time was only tweaking the mid level knob by +/-1, and tweaking the EQ faders one by one to take out or boost the frequencies I liked or disliked, without paying attention to the overall shape of the curve (now the faders are all over the place, but sounds much better). I started working on mic placement today, as I want to profile the amp with the Kemper so I can reamp and preview how it sounds like in mix.

@sylcfh
Thanks for this, I never knew it! I wonder how much the power section of a SS amp contributes to the overall tone? I have a 3U rack mount Randall RP2/200 SS power amp also, I wonder which head's power section it is based off of?

@Carvinkook
Yes, I guess an exciter of some sort could help bring out some harmonics to make the amp sound even fuller. Today I tried boosting it with a Boss SD-1 (which I normally use to boost my DR), with the level and tone set at noon, and drive at 0, this improved the tone and gave it some color in the top end. Living in Hong Kong, I think I will never see the Warhead 412 or 215 in my life, I will never get to experience how the full rig is supposed to sound..

jase

Reaction score
Recorded a cover and amp playthrough video, check it out \m/

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Sounds like you almost dialied in Dimebag's tone. The amp seems a bit too saggy and fat to nail that sound on it's own, though. I imagine with a TS or something in front to tighten things up would sound even closer.

vick1000

Reaction score
Definetly needs a mid boost, same as my Cyclone did. They are like a lower gain Recto IMO.

jase

Reaction score
Yeaa i've tried boosting it with a TS9, 808 and SD1. The SD1 did make it sound better, more presence and bite, but not the "Dime tone".

Getting this amp and his pickups (I also have a L500XL and L500R not installed yet) is as far as I'll go with chasing the Dimebag tone because we all know, we won't ever sound like him. And there's no point sounding like him.

Anyway, it's a cool amp, going to be part of my collection for a long, long time!

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
Dimebag used an EQ in the front of the amp as well to tighten up the sound. He did essentially what a TS pedal does. He cut some lows, and highs and added mids and boosted the input gain.

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I do miss my Warhead stack some days..... the 2x15 cab was pretty fun haha. I was going through a heavy Dimebag phase for a bit and even had a Furman PQ4 but I ran it in the effects loop to give it some more mids. I wasn't trying to achieve the Dime tone but I really did get a great sound out of that amp. Couldn't stand the cleans on it though which is why I ended up going to Rivera.

Latest posts