This doesn't look good

2_zpsbaea7b4b.jpg

this doesn't look good at all
1_zps3f920324.jpg

this looks much better
5_zpsf1398525.jpg

as does this
1a_zps0f521d7a.png

obligatory ass shot (with the hartke peaking out from behind)
3_zpsc63e8a93.jpg

Well if the pics didn't give it away it's a Fender Hot Rod Deville III; 60 watts going into 4 10" speakers.
Thus far it seems to be a pretty versatile amp. It goes without saying that the cleans are AMAZING (like every other fender tube amp), but the drive and more drive channels are surprisingly satisfying as well. There is plenty of crunch and attack in the bottom end once you turn the bass down a tad (might have something to with having a mahogany guitar w/ a pretty bass-y pick up though) and there is plenty of clarity and note definition in the high end when playing arpeggiated chords, without things sounding shrill or "ice pick-y". I thought I'd have to end up getting some kind of tube screamer to get the tone I like but I don't think that will be necessary now.
The amp is loud enough and then some. I haven't been home alone with it yet so I haven't really got to crank it up to paint peeling volume, but all that will happen in time.
The only con i notice is the eq is shared between the drive/ more drive and the clean channel, meaning once you dial in a good clean tone and you switch channels you have to readjust the eq to get a decent rhythm/ lead tone. No worries though. It's nothing an MXR 10 band EQ can't fix, which i just so happened to score a great deal on and should be picking up tomorrow.

Other than the piss poor condition the packaging came in (thanks UPS! you're the best) i'd say I'm pretty pleased thus far. It came with the foot switch and amp cover as well. Now I just need to put some casters on it so I don't nearly throw my back out every time i try and move it.

apologies for the shitty pics. There is nowhere in my house with good lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Nice, i have mad respect for the qualities of a good Fender tube amp, although i dont prefer to use them for myself. Happy NAD!!!

broj15

Reaction score
thanks man. I'll admit they definitely aren't for everyone (and I'm sure aren't very popular around here) but It nails that Age Sixteen/Indian Summer post-hardcore tone perfectly imo which is all I can ask for.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
The guitarist in my very first band had one of these (spoiled rich kid):

DV016_Jpg_Large_483718_V.jpg

Holy shit what an incredibly loud little amp. Sounded wonderful too.

He also had a Gibson J45 and an American Strat. We were all only 14 at the time.

broj15

Reaction score
i almost went with a fender tweed combo actually (blues deville to be precise) but the drive channel on the Hot Rod just sounded like it would work much better for my purposes. I finally got a chance to crank it today and yes this amp is stupidly loud. I had it on maybe 3-4 and it was vibrating change off my desk 5 feet away.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
i almost went with a fender tweed combo actually (blues deville to be precise) but the drive channel on the Hot Rod just sounded like it would work much better for my purposes. I finally got a chance to crank it today and yes this amp is stupidly loud. I had it on maybe 3-4 and it was vibrating change off my desk 5 feet away.

That means your doing it right :hbang:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Cool man - nice to hear about the distortion channel on these. The only experience i've had with a fender hot rod is a guy who used to use an acoustic/electric through a bunch of pedals into one for his punk rock type tones - needless to say it sounded like dirty ass.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
From the times I've played these, they really do have more gain than you would expect, and they've always sounded pretty great too. Fantastic cleans! Happy NAD!

greendog86

Reaction score
such a great amp! and it takes drive pedals like a boss!
when i was lazy to carry my amp head to band rehearsals.. i use to play
this baby with a blackstar ht dist and the sound was awesome.

morethan6

Reaction score
HNAD!

You know what, I had a Hotrod Deluxe 112 a few years ago and it was awesome - the only problem with the dirty channel was actually caused by the cabinet itself.

Cranked through a Marshall 4x12, it absolutely SLAYED. Especially with drive pedals.

I'm sure the 4x10 on a Deville is much better anyway, but try hooking it up through a thick-ply 4x12 (Orange/Mesa etc) at some point - you'll be impressed :)

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
The Hot Rod DeVille is my absolute favorite fender amp. I love those things. Pristine cleans and a chewy crunch. Killer amps. #2 would be the Twin. Nice score man. I can tell you how many times I've almost picked on up.

broj15

Reaction score
HNAD!

I'm sure the 4x10 on a Deville is much better anyway, but try hooking it up through a thick-ply 4x12 (Orange/Mesa etc) at some point - you'll be impressed :)

man if i had access to such nice things i certainly would. i'm sure this would slay being run through an orange cab.

s_k_mullins

!@#$?!
Reaction score
Excellent amp! I had this exact amp for years and loved it. And I recently bought another Fender combo. They're great!