NAD!

Gmork

Reaction score
As some may know I traded my single recto head for a gen1 evh 5150iii 100w.
1st thing I noticed is how good palm mute chuggin sounds, it's definitely got "IT" and has a nice busy gain structure. Lots of hairy saturation (didn't wake up thinking I'd be saying that lol)
Its kind of "dry" sounding to me, not sure if others have described it as such but that's what I'm hearing, not a bad thing, I feel like it would help it really cut through a live mix.

It has way more lowend than I had expected, very cool! Must sound pretty massive cranked, it sounds great at super low volume.
And in typical 5150 fashion is very easy to dial in a good tone although it's quite dark and presence needs to be close to full to sound right. I feel like 4 oclock setting should be its default at noon.
It does seem to have the Pop when changing channels but id just use this for metal and could get by fine just staying in just the blue or red ch.

This has been a good intro into the 5150iii world and I WOULD be interested in acquiring a stealth one day, for now this fella will be for sale/trade locally to see what else I can get, mostly out of curiosity.

Here it is doing some death metal with my stock single coil squier offset tele straight in with my randall 2x15" + 1x12" with a pair of swamp thangs (one of them is mic'd) and a 15" emi legend.
1st minute is double tracked in a mix then just a single mono guitar track out of the mix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mogar

Reaction score
If you can tame the noise, very few things are as pleasing as that "edge of falling apart SPLAT" that single coils into high gain does.

Gmork

Reaction score
Ye
If you can tame the noise, very few things are as pleasing as that "edge of falling apart SPLAT" that single coils into high gain does.
Ah I love it, always has a chunk to it! As much as a love the quirk factor of using singlecoils I HAVE thought about putting something completely opposite in like bk cpigs or something lol

Shask

Reaction score
1st thing I noticed is how good palm mute chuggin sounds, it's definitely got "IT" and has a nice busy gain structure. Lots of hairy saturation (didn't wake up thinking I'd be saying that lol)
Its kind of "dry" sounding to me, not sure if others have described it as such but that's what I'm hearing, not a bad thing, I feel like it would help it really cut through a live mix.

It has way more lowend than I had expected, very cool! Must sound pretty massive cranked, it sounds great at super low volume.
And in typical 5150 fashion is very easy to dial in a good tone although it's quite dark and presence needs to be close to full to sound right. I feel like 4 oclock setting should be its default at noon.
It does seem to have the Pop when changing channels but id just use this for metal and could get by fine just staying in just the blue or red ch.

This has been a good intro into the 5150iii world and I WOULD be interested in acquiring a stealth one day, for now this fella will be for sale/trade locally to see what else I can get, mostly out of curiosity.

Here it is doing some death metal with my stock single coil squier offset tele straight in with my randall 2x15" + 1x12" with a pair of swamp thangs (one of them is mic'd) and a 15" emi legend.
1st minute is double tracked in a mix then just a single mono guitar track out of the mix.

I feel like your speakers must be super dark if this sounds dark. I only have the 50w model, but I cant turn the presence over like 10 oclock without it turning into harsh fizz.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

EVH is killer amp, just try to listen (or exchange with) a Peavey triple xxx or a 3120, they have massive gain and noisegate, usable with your singlecoils (and active eq) 😉

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The 100w versions use logarithmic pots for the presence controls, which is why it feels like only the last 25% or so of the range is really "doing anything" to the sound. Same goes for the original Peavey 5150. The 50w versions and Iconic use a linear pot, so it seems like they're brighter than the 100w models since the presence comes on a lot earlier on the sweep of the pot.

Also, that Tele pickup sounds gnarly in this clip :metal: congrats on a good trade!

Werecow

Reaction score
The 100w versions use logarithmic pots for the presence controls, which is why it feels like only the last 25% or so of the range is really "doing anything" to the sound. Same goes for the original Peavey 5150. The 50w versions and Iconic use a linear pot, so it seems like they're brighter than the 100w models since the presence comes on a lot earlier on the sweep of the pot.

Also, that Tele pickup sounds gnarly in this clip :metal: congrats on a good trade!
I hate that about the 100w's presence. Not only does it come on later, it all comes on very suddenly as well. I have to keep making the smallest adjustments possible to get it right, where on my 50w i just sweep the presence right around in one big motion and it's there.

Gmork

Reaction score

Well that explains it. And thanks, i agree!
I really don't think this amp needs a boost at all either, i think it makes it sound worse