NAMM 2020: New Decade, New GAS

• Thread starter Backsnack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
$200 extra for the fancy finishes... the "starfall" look is just unreal but not sure if it's worth that much extra.

SLO-30 sounds more vintage than the 100. hmm

Lower voltage in the power section does soften things up a bit, it's just how low power using big bottle tubes works.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Lower voltage in the power section does soften things up a bit, it's just how low power using big bottle tubes works.

vintage ain't bad, could probably sharpen it up with a boost pedal like that new Maxon 808

it just makes me think "50 watt EL34 5153" and man what a let down. First tube amp I've bought brand new in like 7 years and I was over it in six months.

hopefully the big Canadian retailer picks up Soldano because then I could try one out and not be trapped if I don't like it. grabbing one of those cheap Jet City 25 watters to compare to see if the Soldano is worth $3,000 cad more would be a fun A-B

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
vintage ain't bad, could probably sharpen it up with a boost pedal like that new Maxon 808

it just makes me think "50 watt EL34 5153" and man what a let down. First tube amp I've bought brand new in like 7 years and I was over it in six months.

hopefully the big Canadian retailer picks up Soldano because then I could try one out and not be trapped if I don't like it. grabbing one of those cheap Jet City 25 watters to compare to see if the Soldano is worth $3,000 cad more would be a fun A-B

I had the slo100, the avenger hr100, the jca50h, and the jca25 all around the same time.

The jet city's are really good and they get close to the avenger. But the slo100 is very different sounding on both channels.

Man what happened to jet city. They were the first wave of cheap tube amps and they haven't done anything new in years.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I had the slo100, the avenger hr100, the jca50h, and the jca25 all around the same time.

The jet city's are really good and they get close to the avenger. But the slo100 is very different sounding on both channels.

Man what happened to jet city. They were the first wave of cheap tube amps and they haven't done anything new in years.

I think Soldano left and took his designs with them. Their website doesn't even work anymore.. WTF?

imo Blackstar picked up where they left off. They have stepped it up huge in the last few years, the mkII line of the club amps are outrageously good for the money and in the grand scheme of things are great amps that deserve consideration in almost any kind of backline

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I think Soldano left and took his designs with them. Their website doesn't even work anymore.. WTF?

imo Blackstar picked up where they left off. They have stepped it up huge in the last few years, the mkII line of the club amps are outrageously good for the money and in the grand scheme of things are great amps that deserve consideration in almost any kind of backline

I'll never respect backstar but they've put out some decent stuff.

But also prices pretty fall across the board when every body got into the cheap tube amp game.

I mean a 5153 is only 999 for the 50 was version. When I started buying stuff the cheapest amp you could get was like a used peavey 6505. Everything else was crappy 5 Watters.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Julia-V2_right_front_590x.jpg

Julia v2 Now with top mounted input/output jacks but otherwise basically the same.
The V1 dropped in price to $169

The Julia is my favourite chorus by miles. I fucking love it. Buy it!

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
JCA is still offering stuff direct as far as I know and the prices are great. I wanna snag a 100LTD for sure this year.

Shask

Reaction score
JCA is still offering stuff direct as far as I know and the prices are great. I wanna snag a 100LTD for sure this year.
I just got a JCA100HDM last year. I have a whole list of mods I am wanting to do once I get some time.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
More Slinky string gauges.

8nxNyfRUhDJCcf4Z7TeGtM-1024-80.jpg

The 10 - 62 7-string and 10 - 54 set look enticing. I've been using 10 - 52 in drop B/Bb and 10 - 59 in G, so I needed a bit more tension. Hopefully these help with that.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Absolutely hate the EB Slinky strings, things never lasted longer than a week for me if I play daily.

I just got some of the new 10 - 48 ones for my Superhawk. Still waiting on a verdict. :lol: I wish D'addario did more string gauges outside of their NYXL line.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
More Slinky string gauges.

8nxNyfRUhDJCcf4Z7TeGtM-1024-80.jpg

The 10 - 62 7-string and 10 - 54 set look enticing. I've been using 10 - 52 in drop B/Bb and 10 - 59 in G, so I needed a bit more tension. Hopefully these help with that.
I'm on board with the 10-54 for drop c on a 25.5 scale, otherwise not much that entices me. I'd like a skinny top/heavy bottom 7 string set that has 9's,but ohhh well.

Latest posts