NAMM 2024 - see anything cool?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When the brand presents a product on its own social media, they show only what they want to show, what is convenient for them
Even a youtuber or a guitar magazine journalist can provide more info that could eventually interest the final customers

You're right, the brand presents what they want you to see, and tells the YouTube what to say, and then everything is parroted a million times by magazines and blogs who are also paid by the brands and told what to say and when to say it.

I get it, y'all just want content. It's free and entertaining and it makes you feel informed. That's fun. But again, this is just a trade show run by the organization that supports the interests of dealers.

NAMM is an ad supported content mill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nangillala

Reaction score
did you get to see RUF? I'm curious how they compare to Aristides.
I got the chance to see both of them at the Guitar Summit (https://www.guitarsummit.de/) for the last two years.
I really like were RUF is going and that they experiment with a lot of different stuff, but they are not at the Aristides level (yet?).

The fully hollow carbon fibre guitar they showed was a great concept guitar, but if you took a look at the back of the neck you saw, that the lamination wasn't done in a visually pleasing way (no idea if that impacts the stability in any way, it is probably fine).

They had the ~2k€ deal on certain guitars and I think that was a great pricepoint. Since Aristides is much higher price-wise I would say you get what you pay for and personally I would spend a bit more time for a quality check on any RUF than an Aristides, but RUF also had great guitars at the booth. I hope they continue with their fanned fret sevenstring prototype.

Aristides is just much more "mature" at the moment.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Man, some of these post are amusing.

NAMM was never intended to be a convention space for YouTubers to make content/gear reviews on the spot. That’s been a byproduct of YouTube.

People on here are expecting geartubers to sit down with a guitar and give an in-depth review of it when the way NAMM is doesn’t allow for that. You can’t stand in one place for more than 3 minutes without someone bumping into you or needing to get by, you can’t hear shit the entire day, there’s some asshole blaring an amp for 3 seconds at a time 5 booths down or Devin Townsend is yelling at you to shut the fuck up while he’s playing acoustic songs across the aisle, as a sea of hundreds of notes from various sources bounce off the 50 foot ceiling space.

It’s a trade show for retailers to go in, see what new shit is coming out so they can decide if they want to stock it, for you, the consumers.

Obviously, that line has blurred considerably over time and NAMM has become more of a social event than its original intent, but that still doesn’t make it ideal for reviews. Seems year by year they’re keeping the guitars off limits more and more. It’s barely more than someone looking at a Sweetwater catalog and reading off the specs, except more often than not, specs aren’t even listed at NAMM so it’s just, “Here’s a new LTD….look at it”

It’s too much of a whirlwind to go in there and try to get detailed on anything. Just wait for the review videos where people can actually try the gear out at their homes, outside of a crazy active convention center.

Hahahaha are people expecting GearTubers to start critiquing gear right there, in front of the brand reps at NAMM? ”Hey, I’m FuckFace6969, like and subscribe, I’m here with Mike from Ibanez and we’re looking over these new Premiums. Wow, there’s a lot of fret sprout on these and they feel like plastic, are you happy to be releasing these, Mike from Ibanez?” :lol:

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I recorded a grand total of one proper demo video at NAMM, namely the Laney IRT Studio. The reasons I did that (and never did so ever again are simple):
- it was 9 am, therefore it wasn't crawling with people yet;
- the amp in question has built-in cab sim and requires no load, meaning it was easy to simply plug the guy straight into the laptop and start working on the demo;
- even then, about 30 minutes in, I had to endure the incoming exhibitors "testing" the kit, as in letting the damn amps rip like there was no tomorrow and making a deafening mess;
- I was already a user of the Ironheart, meaning that I knew what to expect to a huge extent, and therefore I knew that unless a fuck up of biblical proportions had taken place, I would end up with a proper sounding set of guitar tones and have a good demo on my hands.

Anything else would have been foolish of me. NAMM is a great place to sort out recording and touring kit, but it often gets treated like companies are there with the purpose of demoing their kit to the wider audience, while a great many are there to sell to retailers, which is the primary focus of the whole thing - it just so happens to be awesome for a hands-on experience with gear you are interested in and networking / hangs with your music industry friends.

Hahahaha are people expecting GearTubers to start critiquing gear right there, in front of the brand reps at NAMM? ”Hey, I’m FuckFace6969, like and subscribe, I’m here with Mike from Ibanez and we’re looking over these new Premiums. Wow, there’s a lot of fret sprout on these and they feel like plastic, are you happy to be releasing these, Mike from Ibanez?” :lol:

:lol:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Am I missing it, or is there an lack of actual, harder info on products announced at the show this year across the board?

Have seen lots of videos and pics, but much of that is just booth peeping. Maybe there's just not that much genuinely new this year?

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Forgot to add this to my list... unfortunately it looks like another "order one and wait and hope" amps
Daniel seemed like a good dude to me, and he's working with Simon who I know is a good dude. I got to see the innards of one of his pedals and it was tidy as hell. I could be way off base, but I don't think there will be too much praying with him.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Man, some of these post are amusing.

NAMM was never intended to be a convention space for YouTubers to make content/gear reviews on the spot. That’s been a byproduct of YouTube.

People on here are expecting geartubers to sit down with a guitar and give an in-depth review of it when the way NAMM is doesn’t allow for that. You can’t stand in one place for more than 3 minutes without someone bumping into you or needing to get by, you can’t hear shit the entire day, there’s some asshole blaring an amp for 3 seconds at a time 5 booths down or Devin Townsend is yelling at you to shut the fuck up while he’s playing acoustic songs across the aisle, as a sea of hundreds of notes from various sources bounce off the 50 foot ceiling space.

It’s a trade show for retailers to go in, see what new shit is coming out so they can decide if they want to stock it, for you, the consumers.

Obviously, that line has blurred considerably over time and NAMM has become more of a social event than its original intent, but that still doesn’t make it ideal for reviews. Seems year by year they’re keeping the guitars off limits more and more. It’s barely more than someone looking at a Sweetwater catalog and reading off the specs, except more often than not, specs aren’t even listed at NAMM so it’s just, “Here’s a new LTD….look at it”

It’s too much of a whirlwind to go in there and try to get detailed on anything. Just wait for the review videos where people can actually try the gear out at their homes, outside of a crazy active convention center.

I think people started watching those Thomann-sponsored events like Gear Street or whatever it's called and assumed every trade show is like that. When it isn't, Gear Street is specifically catered around influencers lol

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Daniel seemed like a good dude to me, and he's working with Simon who I know is a good dude. I got to see the innards of one of his pedals and it was tidy as hell. I could be way off base, but I don't think there will be too much praying with him.

Yeah that was more meant on time it takes to get one than to imply they wouldn't deliver. I phrased that poorly...