Nazgul vs Black Winter

• Thread starter Johnno106
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
^^Well could someone please do some demos of BKP pups that are NOT djent?

:agreed:

I'd love to hear some BKP metal demos where the guitar is tuned to standar/drop D/drop C instead of the usual drop F with bridge cables for strings. Maybe they're out there, I just haven't come across them, idk.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RadDadTV

Reaction score
I have a lot of experience with the black winter, and they sound amazing in everything. They will do whatever you need them to do.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Just a bit of a bump - what would you prefer in an Alder guitar?

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Another vote for Nazgul in alder, BW in mahogany and either/or in ash. I've had Nazguls in two ash Horizons and both sounded amazing. I would certainly suspect a BW could sound awesome in there too though.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
If one goes with the Nazgul in the bridge, does the Sentient create the perfect pairing? Or is there an oddball that you feel matches it better?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
If one goes with the Nazgul in the bridge, does the Sentient create the perfect pairing? Or is there an oddball that you feel matches it better?

I'm very happy with the Sentient. It matches very well. I think you'd also be ok with the '59 if you prefer a darker neck pickup, or the Jazz if you prefer a brighter neck sound. The Sentient is somewhat of a combination of those two pickups.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Sentient. It matches very well. I think you'd also be ok with the '59 if you prefer a darker neck pickup, or the Jazz if you prefer a brighter neck sound. The Sentient is somewhat of a combination of those two pickups.

This. I was anticipating more from the Sentient the first time around, but have come around to it a bit more. Downside of it is that it's more expensive than the 59 or Jazz, both of which I consider to be great neck PUPs.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Aren't you playing those pickups in Mahogany? Have you tried them in something Alder (or similar)?

I had them in a Horizon of unknown wood, but I am very confident that it was not Mahogany. Could have been either Alder or Ash. Still sounded amazing. I posted a small clip of me playing some riffs on that guitar in the other black winter thread that I will link to now:

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! And thanks for the clip, Bly. That does sound very Black Metal with that setup.

FourT6and2

Reaction score
This. I was anticipating more from the Sentient the first time around, but have come around to it a bit more. Downside of it is that it's more expensive than the 59 or Jazz, both of which I consider to be great neck PUPs.

The '59 is definitely sweeter sounding. And the Sentient can appear cold/sterile at first. But it's just a really clear, ringing pickup. In my guitars, I find it to sound very much like a piano. Very bell-like and resonant. But it takes some getting used to. I really like it a lot. Best neck pickup I've used.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
My vote is Black Winters. Very clear/articulate and can cover any style you would want to play. Sound great in any wood.