NBD: 2018 Specialized Diverge Comp

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I got this in as a special order through my shop just over a week ago - Specialized redesigned their all-road Diverge line this June, and fixed the two (maybe 3) issues that were holding me back - lack of frame mounts for bikebacking trips, and tire width capped at about 32mm, which is now 42mm and up to 47mm if you run a 650b wheel. The other semi-issue was their use of quick releases and thru-axles was inconsistent across the line, whereas now they seem to have settled on a standard, making me more comfortable that I won't have trouble finding replacement wheelsets down the road (and I've already got a lighter alloy set on the way, since the wheels were the weakest link on this build.

Basically - a road frame but with slightly slacker, shorter "adventure" geometry, sub-compact gearing for steep climbs on gravel, Specialized's new "Future Shock" headset suspension and CG-R seatpost offering 20mm of compliance on the front and 18mm at the rear, hydraulic discs, bigger tires, three water bottle mounts, and support for their "Swat Box" storage system. Thing is a blast to ride, too, and almost shockingly fast on dirt.

Diverge_small.JPG

And, since Peter Sagan is a total nut and his original promo video rules, I'll share that as well: