Terrible albums with really good guitar tones.

• Thread starter TheInvisibleHand
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
It's funny to see people just slandering away at Creed, Limp Bizkit, and the likes. Nickelback obviously has gotten the most hate.

They're all fuckin' great bands. I mean, I don't really like Nickelback a lot, but I still remember when I heard Burn It To The Ground for the first time from a friend's car stereo. One of the best guitar tones I've ever heard, and holy shit the groove was to die for - everyone in that car were bobbing their heads.

I used to be the metalhead / prog snob that would hate on even the likes of KSE and In Flames for being too mainstream etc. Then I pulled my head out of my ass... and would recommend that experience to anyone.

I mean, I heard some commenter somewhere hating on Breaking Benjamin, too. WTF? Have you listened to their music? It's fucking excellent. Perhaps it's not exactly up your alley, but it doesn't totally "suck".

I remember hating on modern rap music in 2010ish, especially Kanye West. Then I saw his album "Graduation" listed as one of the top 100 albums of 2000s in some prestigious list. I tried listening to and wouldn't you know it... it's on my TOP 100 albums all time list, too.

People should really try to give everything a chance, and seek to understand others.

Except Volbeat. They objectively suck, end of discussion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDandy

Reaction score
Oh wait..I had this completely tuned around 🤣🤣
Ok in THAT case I agree :lol: the production on that album is just heinous, particularly the snare. I remember loving Like Fire on the Wacken live album and being so confused when I heard the studio version.

Reaction score
Ok in THAT case I agree :lol: the production on that album is just heinous, particularly the snare. I remember loving Like Fire on the Wacken live album and being so confused when I heard the studio version.
And the guitar tone reminds me of a Line 6 HD147 clipping with a boost in front. In a previous band we had a guitarist who had one of those amps and it would sound similar when trying to treat it like a tube amp.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I have gotten so sick of hearing Warrior's Call on the bar jukebox, I recognize it right away and it's an instant skip.

gnoll

Reaction score
I just have to hate some music. It's not that I think the band failed to do what they set out to accomplish, it's that something in the music bothers and annoys me very much. It might be cringy, cheesy, commercial, overly simple, the band might get more succesful than I feel the music deserves, and it might push music in a direction I don't want it to go. Those things make me angry, even if it's a 10000000$ production and "objectively sounds good" or something.

That said, I like some Volbeat songs, and some Limp Bizkit songs for example. The bands I hate most are probably stuff like Killswitch Engage, Trivium, In Flames and the like. Something about that "trying to be metal but also use 4 chord choruses with heavily tuned vocals to be digestible" makes me SO unreasonably angry.

Although... I sort of like some similar stuff, like Bullet for my Valentine I don't mind so much. So there's no real rhyme or reason to it I suppose. Maybe some singers/vocals just happen to annoy me more than usual.

Oh, and I also hate Coldplay. And Nickelback I guess, but I don't really know what they sound like.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought my first answer would be all over this thread:

Garage Inc.

Second answer:
Weezer – Maladroit. I just love that Explorer + JCM2000 DSL maxed out (!) sound.

gnoll

Reaction score
This is like, every band ever.. if you don't have a catchy chorus, or something catchy to the song...then what do you have?

Whaaat...

I mean, for example you could have:

- Interesting harmony

- Thematic development of idea/motif

- Atmosphere

- Interesting lyrics

- A strong message

- Emotion

- Cool/interesting rhythms

- Brutality, intensity

- Great instrumental/vocal performances

- Dynamics, variation

- Genre crossovers

- Noise that sounds cool

I mean there's so much to music other than catchiness. And don't get me wrong, I like melodies and catchy things. But catchiness isn't everything and melodies shouldn't be so sackarine that they make you nauseous.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Whaaat...

I mean, for example you could have:

- Interesting harmony

- Thematic development of idea/motif

- Atmosphere

- Interesting lyrics

- A strong message

- Emotion

- Cool/interesting rhythms

- Brutality, intensity

- Great instrumental/vocal performances

- Dynamics, variation

- Genre crossovers

- Noise that sounds cool

I mean there's so much to music other than catchiness. And don't get me wrong, I like melodies and catchy things. But catchiness isn't everything and melodies shouldn't be so sackarine that they make you nauseous.
Idk to me that's all part of the catchiness. One thing doesn't exclude the other... Maybe you're talking about something different.
The way I see it to a "normal" listener all those things will be perceived as catchy. If you have a riff salad song that you need to listen 10 times before "getting it" that's not an easy thing for your potential listeners. Same goes with a song that's too generic, on the other extreme.
I don’t know, ask Ornette Coleman? Or John Zorn? Or Mike Watt? Or Ron Jarzombek?
Sorry, I don't know who any of them are. I'll look the up 👍

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Except Volbeat. They objectively suck, end of discussion.

Wait that's boosted Marshalls? That intro is Metallica with a sprinkling of Maiden song wise. I don't know much Volbeat, just that one hit.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
What immediately comes to mind is everything Hammerfall has put out in the last 20 years. I've tried to listen to each album when they've come out, but it's just so generic and boring. I can't remember a single one of the songs, even the most recent song which I just listened to. To be fair though, I don't recall the production being REALLY good either, but I recall it always being decent at least.

Then there's a lot of bands I just don't like. Many deathcore bands for example have crushing tones, but I just don't like them, so I guess there's no point in listing them.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When "Tonight The Stars Revolt" came out, it would get talked about a lot in the media and is actually the reason I went ahead and bought the CD @ Ames being a big White Zombie fan as I was. When Worlds Collide was a pretty dope single at the time now that I think about it. Chorus reminded me of Static X-Lite.

Argh, hated Ames. Caldor was the better spot.

Latest posts