NBD: Dingwall NG3-5

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
When you say DI, do you mean completely clean and unprocessed recording straight in my DAW?

Because that's not really how I record with this. I'm going through my Darkglass Alpha Omega 500 and then straight to my DAW, so it's a wet signal :)
Yeah thats what I meant, no wories man!

Timzrage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know you've had your Dingwall for a while now - I have as well. Still feel blessed every day - even now. I wanted to let you know, I installed a Switchcraft Extra long barrel stereo jack (not mono), long thread --- that was the solve to the jack input. Still isn't perfect but I can sit classical style and play - that was super important to me and while I love my bass, that was my one complaint.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I know you've had your Dingwall for a while now - I have as well. Still feel blessed every day - even now. I wanted to let you know, I installed a Switchcraft Extra long barrel stereo jack (not mono), long thread --- that was the solve to the jack input. Still isn't perfect but I can sit classical style and play - that was super important to me and while I love my bass, that was my one complaint.
That's cool :)

For me personally, once I got to really know the bass the problem disappeared. I switch a lot between positions depending on what I'm playing/recording, and I sometimes put a strap on it and stand instead. Never had any trouble doing that :)

It's my go-to bass for everything these days. It just sounds so good and plays so nice ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Amazing bass. Out of interest with a 5 string going to B, what does one do if playing along with an 8 string like the Ibanez in your collection?

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
Amazing bass. Out of interest with a 5 string going to B, what does one do if playing along with an 8 string like the Ibanez in your collection?
I actually sold the Ibanez, but I have since bought a Harley Benton Multiscale 8 instead ;)

I only occasionally write and record 8-string stuff, and I've been trying different approaches like tuning down, pitching down and playing in same octave. I actually bought a Digitech Drop pedal just to make pitch shifting easier, but it didn't track that well with the low B the last time I tried it.
I know you can get a F# setup (from Dingwall?), but I don't use it enough to justify it. For future recordings I might just pitch the bass up and keep it in the same octave like Meshuggah does most of the time.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I actually sold the Ibanez, but I have since bought a Harley Benton Multiscale 8 instead ;)

I only occasionally write and record 8-string stuff, and I've been trying different approaches like tuning down, pitching down and playing in same octave. I actually bought a Digitech Drop pedal just to make pitch shifting easier, but it didn't track that well with the low B the last time I tried it.
I know you can get a F# setup (from Dingwall?), but I don't use it enough to justify it. For future recordings I might just pitch the bass up and keep it in the same octave like Meshuggah does most of the time.
That's pretty wise. I have bass envy! \m/

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The 5 string NG's and Combustions will go down to E on standard strings with a standard nut. The string tension is obviously not going to be as tight as B standard/drop A or even drop G, but it's absolutely workable with a lighter picking hand as well as some minor setup tweaks. I bounce between drop E and G on my NG3 without changing anything and I'm happy with it.

I prefer going this route over super heavy strings because they get woofy. I've never liked super heavy strings on bass. Also, all of that fundamental of those super low notes is unnecessary and difficult to reproduce in a live or recorded mix.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
What are the terms?

I'm not good at sorting out terms personally, and I should do more research on it before going off about it. But what I do know is many items I've seen have like 24 month special financing on the card, which I think is way too long. And I guess if you miss a payment (let's face it- that shouldn't happen and I wouldn't, BUT) you get smoked on interest retroactively and whatnot. And with a 2 year term, yikes. If there was a video explaining it more clearly, I'd be more open to it. For instance, one wouldn't think there would be a penalty for paying something off in full ahead of schedule, but I don't know if there is. So for now, I need to save my pennies for quite awhile to commit to an expensive bass and it's fine.

Edit- holy shit they have 48 month payment plans with the card too 💀 that's like a vehicle payment schedule lol

Merrekof

Reaction score
I'm not good at sorting out terms personally, and I should do more research on it before going off about it. But what I do know is many items I've seen have like 24 month special financing on the card, which I think is way too long. And I guess if you miss a payment (let's face it- that shouldn't happen and I wouldn't, BUT) you get smoked on interest retroactively and whatnot. And with a 2 year term, yikes. If there was a video explaining it more clearly, I'd be more open to it. For instance, one wouldn't think there would be a penalty for paying something off in full ahead of schedule, but I don't know if there is. So for now, I need to save my pennies for quite awhile to commit to an expensive bass and it's fine.

Edit- holy shit they have 48 month payment plans with the card too 💀 that's like a vehicle payment schedule lol
48 month payment? Damn, we're still talking about a luxury item here..

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful bass. I've got the itch for a Dingwall heavily (after years) mostly for home recording and jamming. Programming and using EZ bass is cool and all, but nothing tops the actual instrument.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful bass. I've got the itch for a Dingwall heavily (after years) mostly for home recording and jamming. Programming and using EZ bass is cool and all, but nothing tops the actual instrument.
I mean... sure, it's a lot more expensive than doing the VST thing, but it's just incredibly hard to beat the sound and feel of a physical bass. Pair it with some Darkglass stuff and you've got yourself a ferocious combo for recordings.
I've used my Darkglass Alpha Omega bass amp a lot for recording. It has a built in cab sim with multiple standard cabs, and it can be used without playing through an actual cab.
Lately I've been plugging my Dingwall directly in my audio interface and used the NeuralDSP Darkglass suite, which is a solid way to record too. I usually split my recorded track into 2 busses - 1 for dirt/high frequencies and 1 for clean/low frequencies. Makes the end result sound massive.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean... sure, it's a lot more expensive than doing the VST thing, but it's just incredibly hard to beat the sound and feel of a physical bass. Pair it with some Darkglass stuff and you've got yourself a ferocious combo for recordings.
I've used my Darkglass Alpha Omega bass amp a lot for recording. It has a built in cab sim with multiple standard cabs, and it can be used without playing through an actual cab.
Lately I've been plugging my Dingwall directly in my audio interface and used the NeuralDSP Darkglass suite, which is a solid way to record too. I usually split my recorded track into 2 busses - 1 for dirt/high frequencies and 1 for clean/low frequencies. Makes the end result sound massive.

I've been juggling how to set it up if I purchase one, and right now I'm leaning towards having it tuned F# - B - E - A - D and using a capo for different tunings.

Just poking around with Kalium's string tension calculator and it seems to be the best option for me to play in all sorts of tunings without re-tuning constantly.

Not sure how well the NG3 will handle F#, but the 5 and 6 string are both the same scale on the lowest string.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I've been juggling how to set it up if I purchase one, and right now I'm leaning towards having it tuned F# - B - E - A - D and using a capo for different tunings.

Just poking around with Kalium's string tension calculator and it seems to be the best option for me to play in all sorts of tunings without re-tuning constantly.

Not sure how well the NG3 will handle F#, but the 5 and 6 string are both the same scale on the lowest string.
Dingwall makes a string set specifically for F# tuning:

I haven't tried it, but I've been tempted to a couple of times. I'm just more comfortable in standard tuning on a 5-string.
If I ever get a 6-string Dingwall though...! :lol:

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Dingwall makes a string set specifically for F# tuning:

I haven't tried it, but I've been tempted to a couple of times. I'm just more comfortable in standard tuning on a 5-string.
If I ever get a 6-string Dingwall though...! :lol:
I'll give that a look too.

Those gauges in that pack are pretty close to what I picked on the string tension calculator 🤣, so looks like I'm in the neighborhood.

Originally I was looking at a 6 string dingy, but I think it may be a little too ambitious for me personally. That's a lot of bass guitar.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I'll give that a look too.

Those gauges in that pack are pretty close to what I picked on the string tension calculator 🤣, so looks like I'm in the neighborhood.

Originally I was looking at a 6 string dingy, but I think it may be a little too ambitious for me personally. That's a lot of bass guitar.
6 strings are fun. I have a nice Ibanez SR886 kicking around. Used it in a band before I bought the Dingwall. I have no need for 6 strings, but every now and then I get really melodic/chord-ish with my bass playing, and then it's fun to play with more strings.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
6 strings are fun. I have a nice Ibanez SR886 kicking around. Used it in a band before I bought the Dingwall. I have no need for 6 strings, but every now and then I get really melodic/chord-ish with my bass playing, and then it's fun to play with more strings.

True that. I don't know if I've got the mojo for that playstyle. I leave it to the experts like Intervals' bass player (can't remember his name). That dude is on a different wavelength.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
True that. I don't know if I've got the mojo for that playstyle. I leave it to the experts like Intervals' bass player (can't remember his name). That dude is on a different wavelength.
I'm definitely no big virtuoso on bass or guitar. I just try to have fun with it and do my occasional mediocre demos that nobody but myself and a couple of (un)lucky friends gets to listen to :shrug:

I used to dream of being a pro, but it's more of a hobby these days, and I'm perfectly happy with that.