NBD - Ibanez GVB36

• Thread starter DreamError
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DreamError

Reaction score
Playing an 8-string guitar has shown me I can indeed handle a 6-string bass, so I decided to get one since the bass is really my first love anyway. I used to play an ESP 5-string, but I've always liked Ibanez, and when I was researching narrow string spacing models I came across the Gerald Veasley signature line. I'd never actually heard of the guy, which is how I justify owning a signature model to myself :lol:

This is the cheaper Indonesian-made model, and FFS if my Iron Label was nicely setup, this thing was set up by someone with all-thumbs and half a hand -_- The 2nd string looked low, and when I tuned it up it was pressed against the fretboard and bridge pickup :lol: :wallbash: Seriously, how was that even possible to miss? :lol: Talk about zero ....s to give :noplease: It definitely needs a setup, badly; I plan to cruise some pawn shops for a couple beaters later to practice setups on :yesway:

It came with no tools or manual with how it should be set up, unlike my Iron Label, but tools I have so I was able to raise that string up and adjust the others. And the manual is just wasted paper, but still. Also, instead of a little tag on a tuner with the date of build, setup, and inspection with stamps, it just had a warranty card with the serial and some guy's name printed on it, and that it was built on 9-18-13. Feels strange that the Iron Label had an overall more pleasurable experience both in setup and packing than an artist signature that costs the same or more, but I suppose Mr. Veasley's slice of the pie makes it technically a "lesser" instrument :scratch: Or Maybe September was not a good time for the factory, and February was, or I got lucky, or...

Now for some good. The fret edges are actually very nice. I love the 14mm string spacing, this thing is easier to play than my guitar! The finish is more subdued than online, just like on my SIX28. It's like Ibanez cranks the saturation and brightness in photoshop before posting pics. But I do dig the flamed maple with it.

I'm not a huge fan of finished necks, so I may wet sand it or try polishing it regularly or something. The preamp knobs are cheap plastic that Ibanez has the audacity to charge $16 for on their website :lol: Going to replace them with some cosmo black ones when I swap the preamp out.

The pickups are okay, the preamp is mostly garbage, and I plan to replace both with RJ Neos and a Mike Pope Flexcore. It still sounds decent enough for now, though, and is useable at least.

Anyway, enough babbling, here's my lovely. In some shots you can sorta see my ghostly ass reflected in the shine :lol:

859ECC24-DD68-4724-BA56-B8E799389D89_zpsim8gj07z.jpg

Check out the thickness of the top in the jack hole. This thing weighs a ton, but also no appreciable neck dive, either :)
1E2C5E07-50F4-4249-A19A-12C40AE08CCC_zpsrjzcgypz.jpg

B604B0DF-4ECD-46A9-B74D-993E6B1E1BDF_zpsiojvak2d.jpg

EBD8581D-79D8-474A-AB87-4343BAB75745_zpsnfmjjdpy.jpg

Didn't realize this one was blurry >.>
D5D03392-F13B-4AD7-BC7C-9BF6DF8DFBC1_zps7espbjvl.jpg

Top is pretty thick:
E5495CAA-9772-4F8A-9DAD-EABC943BC760_zpsdh7pwrzz.jpg

And now for the back, just because you can see a nice "character knot" as I call it:
04CDC3C9-0760-42D6-A67A-FB937E7F6543_zpspra7o8oh.jpg

Makes it easier to spot mine, not that there are a ton of people with GVB36s anyway >.>

And because cuteness demands it:
0F0B5137-F545-4293-8B62-B18CBD81DF77_zpsk9zspzwy.jpg

I think she knows she's being photographed...
53206180-AE99-43EF-8C96-442C70C0ABF8_zpsjw2jy0wd.jpg

She loves all my music stuff. She used to sleep on my K5000S keyboard synth, lounge on top of amps, etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Oh dang, I didn't realize the GVB has narrow spacing. I was actually just wondering not thirty minutes ago which six string basses out there have narrow spacing, because I'd like to give one a shot, but I have tiny little woman hands. Did it come "set up" (lol) to be tuned like a standard 6, ie BEADGC?

TolerancEJ

Reaction score
Sweet! The GVB36 is included in my wishlist.

I tested one in the store. Yes, it is tuned at standard BEADGC.

DreamError

Reaction score
lol thanks everyone. I was starting to think it wasn't cool enough for SSO after a week of no responses :D

I love the 14mm spacing, I have trouble even with Ibanez's usual 16.5mm spacing, but the neck really feels pretty close to playing a five string. Obviously not at the nut, but as you approach the middle it's very noticeably narrower in a great way. I have no desire to ever play slap :lol:

My index and ring fingers are 2.5", my middle is 3" and pinky is 2".

I got the preamp today and should be installing it tonight after my lesson (I seriously suck at fingerstyle :wallbash: ), and hopefully there isn't too much drama getting the RJ Neos I ordered. In the mean time I'll just swap the pickups so they're at least where Bartolini intended (I read Ibanez switches them around for some reason, and it definitely sounds a little funky). RJ Neos are on order, too, it seems the drama there has mostly cleared up so here's to hoping...

DreamError

Reaction score
Sigh. I'm having to return this, as much as it pains me. It's still just too much neck for me down at the first position. I might be able to build enough stretch, but reaching the 5th and 6th strings is causing some pain in the forearm. The combination of scale length and neck width is too much. I can play a 27" scale guitar this wide, but not a bass.

For now.

I may revisit it in the future once I've got my reach back, because I love the idea of 6-strings; Maybe I can have someone build me a 6-string on a 5-string neck ala John Myung :lol:

Stay tuned for another NBD, though, I got a Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 from Guitar Center that was definitely on that wall for a long time, but for $110 off I can't complain :) A little setup love and it plays nicely, and sounds really good with the Mike Pope Flexcore preamp I stuffed into it. Just need a couple more knobs, the Schecter ones don't fit the bigger/nicer pots :lol:

No, I'm not going to get a SRC6 >.>

Latest posts