NBD: Spector EURO5 LX-PJ RAS Layer

• Thread starter Derek Spear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
I saw this pop up at a Japanese music store on Twitter a few weeks ago, and I just had to pull the trigger. For a used bass, it was exceptionally well taken care of; I'm glad that it included the original COA. It's my first time having a bass that's neck-thru; really looking forward to hearing how it sounds in a full mix compared to the E-II BTL 5 that I've been using for the last couple of years. Also, as a RAISE A SUILEN signature bass, it makes for a nice companion to my Strandberg J7. :D

RAS.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
Looks wonderful - how is the neckthru affecting the tone do you think?
Thanks! Not sure yet on the tone...I re-strung the bass last night (went from the stock 45-135 set to my usual D'Addario 40-125 set) and gave the fretboard a good conditioning while I was at it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to plug-in this weekend and hear how the Nordstrand pickups (with Darkglass preamp) sound versus the Seymour Duncans in my E-II. Historically, however, I've noticed that bolt-ons tend to have better sustain than neck-thru...and neck-thru is more of a comfort thing (read: no neck heel). I do like the fact that the neck doesn't dive nearly as much as my E-II does.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
I
Thanks! Not sure yet on the tone...I re-strung the bass last night (went from the stock 45-135 set to my usual D'Addario 40-125 set) and gave the fretboard a good conditioning while I was at it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to plug-in this weekend and hear how the Nordstrand pickups (with Darkglass preamp) sound versus the Seymour Duncans in my E-II. Historically, however, I've noticed that bolt-ons tend to have better sustain than neck-thru...and neck-thru is more of a comfort thing (read: no neck heel). I do like the fact that the neck doesn't dive nearly as much as my E-II does.
You may be the first person in the history of instruments who thinks neck construction is just a comfort thing

Derek Spear

Reaction score
You may be the first person in the history of instruments who thinks neck construction is just a comfort thing
There was definitely a time when I would have said that neck-thru guitars were superior when it came to sustain and resonance...but after playing quite a few Ibanez guitars over the years, I guess I don't really notice that much of a difference anymore. Though, I guess it depends on the guitar. :D

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I

Ola Englund tested two otherwise identically specced Solars (neck-thru vs bolt-on) and found that the bolt-on had a better sustain. Now, while recording the sound and inspecting it, I don't think all the variables were controlled enough to call that test scientifical. Also, neck-thrus with a heel and the same length & thickness of the neck might have more sustain than a bolt-on. But looking at generously scooped neck-body transitions, such neck-thrus are probably somewhat mechanically compromized (dampening), compared to a sturdy bolted joint.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think there's too many variables in a guitar to where neck joints can make a difference. I think quality of the wood would play a significantly bigger role

Also this is like... one of the very few times I've seen a 5-string P/J Spector, let alone a Euro one.

Derek Spear

Reaction score
Spector and Warwick should do more PJ 5 strings, they look so fricking cool.

@Derek Spear Congrats on the awesome instrument, it's a beauty!
Thanks!

Now, I just need to replace my SansAmp Bass Driver DI and save up for a Darkglass Microtubes 900 amp & 4x10 cabinet. :D