NCD: KEMPER Power Kabinet

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been thinking about one of these for a while.

I've already got the Line 6 Powercab Plus 112, which also does "speaker modeling" for the "amp-in-the-room" sound but was curious how the Kemper speaker imprints would sound by comparison.

Initial thoughts: The two work work almost nothing alike at all. You *can* plug the Powerkab into your regular main output and use it like an FRFR just like the L6 but the gain staging is completely different. So the Powerkab sounds "quieter" out of the box, but you can throw way more db into the front of it than the L6 before it starts to clip (which so far is impossible).

I think the L6 is better for marrying with any random modeler but the Powerkab might have the edge if you're specifically looking for a powered cabinet to match with a Kemper.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Good stuff. I haven't seen too many of those in the wild. Any benefit to the cab rather than just running the Kemper into studio monitors?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good stuff. I haven't seen too many of those in the wild. Any benefit to the cab rather than just running the Kemper into studio monitors?
In the studio, not so much. There's some workflow benefits having your straight guitar coming out somewhere different than your DAW processed stuff but as far as how it hits your ear, the fully processed model > IR > studio monitor will always sound best IMO.

Benefit of the Kemper Kab (the L6 Powercab falls into this category too) is the speaker modeling when you're using it in a live setting. With a full band or just practicing with drums/bass, the speaker profiles cut through the mix way better than IR processed audio. I believe the way Kemper intends the kab to be used is in a gig setting where you send your main outs (fully processed with IRs) to the FOH, and run the powerkab through the monitor out like a wedge monitor, with a speaker imprint on it so you can hear yourself through all the noise on the stage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
I've pretty close to getting one....but to use with my Kemper.
All I've heard is that they really are not suitable for use as an FRFR due to them being designed specifically to be used with the imprints in the Kemper OS, and as such sound pretty bad with anything else.....how much and how did you have change your amp/modeller settings as opposed to the line 6 to maintain your tone?
What do you think of the build quality btw?
Do you know if the Poweramp can be routed to something else easily?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've pretty close to getting one....but to use with my Kemper.
All I've heard is that they really are not suitable for use as an FRFR due to them being designed specifically to be used with the imprints in the Kemper OS, and as such sound pretty bad with anything else.....how much and how did you have change your amp/modeller settings as opposed to the line 6 to maintain your tone?
What do you think of the build quality btw?
Do you know if the Poweramp can be routed to something else easily?
Just to clarify, I am using this with an unpowered Kemper toaster.

Ive previously had the Headrush 112 and currently have the Line 6 Powercab Plus 112. The two reasons I got the Kemper Kab was, yeah I liked the look but I also liked the idea of the speaker profiles being in the modeler since that seems more likely to get an update down the road as opposed to the L6 firmware.

A/B'd with the L6/HR, was much quieter and had maybe half the bass response of either the other two. Given, that was plugged into the main output using the same settings I've been using the other FRFRs on. I didn't have to actually tweak any of my presets, just plugged the Kab into a totally different output (monitor out) and set some global settings specifically for that output to get it to sound the way I wanted.

At that point it sounded just as pleasing as the other FRFRs even with the imprints turned off. The bass response feels tighter. The other FRFRs sound "cool" but maybe kinda bassy like a PA speaker moreso than a guitar cabinet. If you want something more like your real amp as opposed to an idealized, mixed and post processed sound, I think the Kemper Kab has a little bit of an edge.

So I'd say the complaints about the sound and setup/tweaking are a little overstated. They're true in the context of basically not using it the way you're supposed to and taking no time to tweak it. With no manuals, I got it sounding right in maybe a half hour (and that was going on totally blind) to where I don't think I need to touch my settings again.

I'd venture to guess the Kemper Kab will sound like total shit with anything else though. I can't overstate how hard it wants you to run signal into the front of it versus the L6 or the Headrush. You look at the L6 the wrong way and the clipping light goes on.

Not sure what you mean by the last bit. You mean like using the Kemper Kab to power a second cabinet (like a 112 passive)? It would need to be modified, I don't think it'd take much to add a parallel out to the back of it since it's a pretty vanilla solid state power amp driving it. Just not a lot of people cutting a hole in a $800 cabinet right now, but I'm sure it could be done.

If I wanted more speakers (which I'm kinda contemplating), I think best avenue would be to get a 212 or 412 loaded with Kemper Kones and drive them with either a clean power amp (like the SD) or the same basic idea but cannibalize something like the Headrush 112 for the guts (which already had two inputs and you can fins for $300 or less). If you like the look of the Kemper Kab, mojotone and some others sell pretty near accurate green tolex.

The build quality is great. The neo magnet on the speakers is tiny so the cab does feel a little conspicuously light, but the fit and finish is top notch and the little touches like the real (?) leather corners/handle make it feel like a more expensive unit.

Last edited: