NDG! Pink Quilt Carvin DC800 *LOTS OF PICS ADDED* (or fixed)

• Thread starter decreebass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
It looks nice, though pink is not my colour :p

Did they use Elixir strings for their 8 strings as well? Because the biggest gauge Elixir offers is a 068, and that's not big enough for a F#.

Actually, I think they do use Elixers; I'm starting to see a little bit of fraying where I pick on the (...counting...) D-string. They sound really good and alive.

Keep that guitar, the hot pink is maybe the best color I have ever seen on a Carvin :agreed:

I think I'm going to. It is definitely my fav Carvin as well. There's some nice natural wood (spalts & whatnot) and some elegant builds I'll admit, but this one is like f***'in candy to my eyes and ears. Plus since they DIDN'T use walnut like I asked, it actually weighs less and doesn't hurt my back to wear it for hours. And as much as I love it, I can't say the same about my Agile...

Love the pink man. 80's shred time!

Thanks. Before I do the 80's, I gotta learn me some of Petrucci's solos; I've found that every few bars of his stuff I learn the more my musical pallet is expanded. There's so much technique and musicality in all of his music... Anyway. It's weird; I don't currently have a band, but I get an immense amount of pleasure just sitting in my room shredding away :)

WOW, awesome man. That pink looks amazing!

You should see it in person. I know you're not supposed to be looking down all the time when you play, but I have a good reason to :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Man, now that I've seen the pics I love it! I might have missed this, but how is the weight of the guitar? My DC800 has an alder body and is a pretty comfortable 8.5lbs or so. It's not as light as my OAF or PRS', but it's not straining to hold at all.

Carvin does use Elixir strings on the DC800s. You could get one of their 7 string sets and add an individual .068 to match it, or get some Elixir bass strings for the bass side. They're wound the same I believe, so there won't be a tonal difference between the guitar and bass strings.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Man, now that I've seen the pics I love it! I might have missed this, but how is the weight of the guitar? My DC800 has an alder body and is a pretty comfortable 8.5lbs or so. It's not as light as my OAF or PRS', but it's not straining to hold at all.

Carvin does use Elixir strings on the DC800s. You could get one of their 7 string sets and add an individual .068 to match it, or get some Elixir bass strings for the bass side. They're wound the same I believe, so there won't be a tonal difference between the guitar and bass strings.

The weight is FANTASTIC. I was originally pissed that they missed my wood option (walnut) and used alder, but with the alder, I can have it strapped on for HOURS and get NO fatigue. It's the perfect weight. Might even be lighter than my 7. DEFINITELY lighter than my Agile 8.

And yea, after a week with the guitar, they're definitely Elixers :) But the bass tring might be wound a little bit differently:
stringwinding_zps4ab68ba5.jpg

That's just a closeup. So that may be what they do; use a seven string set then use a bass string. I wasn't aware that Elixers made 8-string sets. I haven't found them on GuitarCenter.com, MF, SW, SA, etc.

I should be posting a video review of it pretty soon if I can figure out how the youtube works :scratch: