Need a hand with this Xiphos

• Thread starter ArkaneDemon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
So I found this guy selling a dead mint '09 Ibanez Xiphos with OHSC on Kijiji and he is in my region.

Apparently "the 2009 model features the deepened bevels for greater comfort while playing as well as the revised strap button location for better balance. All previous models (including the 6 string) suffered from horrible neck dive due to the old strap button replacement but in 2009 they revised this giving it excellent balance. Often times owners of the older models would relocate the strap button leaving a big hole where it once was."

Is this true? I haven't played a Xiphos in forever (never owned one either), so if I go through with this, I'm going to have to go check the guy's axe out. He wants 700 for the whole thing but price is neg. I'm not sure what to offer him since I can't really find the 09 version around anywhere (or I have, it just doesn't specify year).

Any ideas greatly appreciated. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They did update the bevels and such on the 09' and on models, but from what I understand there are still some balance issues for some. Star-shaped guitars typically have to be balanced for the individual due to the weird shape's effect on mass and weight. It's not a huge deal, as moving the strap pin is very easy, and can be covered up pretty easily to look stock.

Also, I'd NEVER pay $700, as that's how much new ones go for over here. I can't imagine them being significantly more expensive over in Canada. The most I'd pay for a used Xiphos is $500, and it better be DEAD MINT with tags, bar, and case.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In that case, $700 isn't as bad, but I'd still want it to be dead mint, with tags and a case. I've seen a few XPT707s go for around ~$600 with cases and sometimes modded pickups.

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
I'd still see if you can talk him down on the price a bit. that said, I love my xiphos the most of any guitar I've owned :metal:

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
I'm going to try to bring him down a bit but first I have to try the thing because I don't know how I feel about the gibraltar bridge.

On another note, am I hallucinating or did I not have a post right after post #6? Or did it get deleted or what? I'm hallucinating aren't it :lol:

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
I specifically remember writing stuff down...guess I didn't press reply :lol:

Either way the thing only has one minor inperfection in the clear coat at the top of the neck somewhere, but I can't see anything in the pictures he has on his ad. And also, I see all of these online stores like Musician's Friend and zZsounds for 999 + tax, no case, American dollars, so if I pull this guy down to 650 or less, I think I'll get a good deal. No?

Varjo

ss.org frenulum
Reaction score
I specifically remember writing stuff down...guess I didn't press reply :lol:

Either way the thing only has one minor inperfection in the clear coat at the top of the neck somewhere, but I can't see anything in the pictures he has on his ad. And also, I see all of these online stores like Musician's Friend and zZsounds for 999 + tax, no case, American dollars, so if I pull this guy down to 650 or less, I think I'll get a good deal. No?

I guess it's an okay deal. I had a Xiphos 7 before, and from my experiences, the neck dive isn't such a catastrophic issue as it would seem to be. Notable when standing up, yes, but not that bad. While sitting no problem at all.

And it sure had a sweet neck... too bad it was clearcoated :noplease:

modernmeat

Djentleman
Reaction score
i have the orig xiphos without the bevels... people complain about the weight but its a genius design to me... the body always wants to rise which is everyones complaint but the Xiphos' shape allows you to use the body as an armrest (yes its comfortable) and your resting acts as a counterweight always keeping the guitar in perfect placement... its not my fault people cant figure out how to hold something so great... i got the 6 string xiphos prerelease along with a line6 footboard together for about $575 i believe if that helps you in the price flow for haggling lol

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
Often times owners of the older models would relocate the strap button leaving a big hole where it once was."

Well... i leave the strap buttons at the place where they are and just put the new strap buttons where i wanted them to be so no big holes..

As for the armrest, yeah i figured that one out also, so when i'm not playing i'm standing very comfortable :)

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
i have the orig xiphos without the bevels... people complain about the weight but its a genius design to me... the body always wants to rise which is everyones complaint but the Xiphos' shape allows you to use the body as an armrest (yes its comfortable) and your resting acts as a counterweight always keeping the guitar in perfect placement... its not my fault people cant figure out how to hold something so great... i got the 6 string xiphos prerelease along with a line6 footboard together for about $575 i believe if that helps you in the price flow for haggling lol

haha I had a B.C Rich Stealth Chuck tribute and yeah, exactly the same technique to play it. It was quite comfortable actually :)

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Probably the only Indo-made Ibanez I've played that didn't make me want to puke compared to wizard/super wizard-equipped pretties of old.

Price-wise I'd say 650$ is a nice fair deal, not GREAT but not bad. :yesway:

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
I'm a bit afraid that I won't like the gibraltar bridge. I'm used to playing on an Edge III and a licensed Floyd, and they feel great to me when I palm mute and whatnot because I always rest my hand on the bridge. I don't know if the gibraltar can compare, but I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the dude's house to try the guitar out.

I think the best bridge for me is a Kahler since I just love them, but I don't have the luxury of getting a guitar equipped with one yet, sadly.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I hate most bridges, liked this one though. I despise trems but agree with you about the palming thing :lol:

phonix

Reaction score
I have a Xiphos (6 string revision 1) and I really like it, plays better than many more expensive ibby's and ESP's I've tried. The neck does dive badly, but I'm not in a band so I play sitting down, and if I wanted to relocating the strap button would be easy enough to do. They sound great too, and being neck through with a solid (some call heavy) body, they have nice tone and massive low end and sustain.

mightywarlock

Reaction score
My Xiphos sounds amazing.
Played really sharp when i first got it, and balance sucked ass. I drilled a new hole and moved the pin.

still a little weird, but with a good strap, it helps to keep it in place.

Here's a sound sample of a Xiphos right into a Recto.
YouTube - Evil Epitome's "Total Chaos"