need a recommendation for a good el34 amp

• Thread starter shalev98732
  • Start date
  • Tags
    el34
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
title says it all, i play mostly thrash, groove and melodic death metal.
i thought of a jcm800kk or jvm410 or evh 5150iii el34

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
5153S EL34 100 watt all day.

JCM800 has a long road to melodic utility. JVM410 is less so the case, but still the case. The EVH does it all except for cleans, the JCM has the best cleans IMO. Also IMO they each sound great in pretty much any metal context and in the right hands.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
5153S EL34 100 watt all day.

JCM800 has a long road to melodic utility. JVM410 is less so the case, but still the case. The EVH does it all except for cleans, the JCM has the best cleans IMO. Also IMO they each sound great in pretty much any metal context and in the right hands.
its not the regular 800 its the kk version which has more gain noise gate and other mods

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All these amps you mention in the op are capable to cover what you play, yet each one sounds very differently. The question is which is the tone you're after and what's your budget?

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All these amps you mention in the op are capable to cover what you play, yet each one sounds very differently. The question is which is the tone you're after and what's your budget?
honestly jvm410h is because of alexi laiho and dave mustaine, im already planning to either get alexi's e-ii signature or a jackson, budget for amp is about 2000-3000 euros or usd (gifts from my rich soon to be father in law)

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
honestly jvm410h is because of alexi laiho and dave mustaine, im already planning to either get alexi's e-ii signature or a jackson, budget for amp is about 2000-3000 euros or usd (gifts from my rich soon to be father in law)
but i do like good mids controls, as some stuff i play is very scopped and some stuff i play has a lot of boosted mids

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
my main influences rn are anthrax children of bodom and testament and pantera and zakk wylde and black label society

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
its not the regular 800 its the kk version which has more gain noise gate and other mods
I know that much, but I'm talking best case scenario. It's not a melodic amp, the only thing I'm guessing about is that the KK model definitely isn't.

Based on your influences I would get the JVM or a boosted JCM.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not that matters alot, just mentioning the 2203kk has 4 KT88 power tubes & onboard booster. If you can find one used, don't let it go!!!

However, a Badlander 100 won't dissapoint you either!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Actual recommendation is a superlead and pedal of choice, but it wasnt listed :lol:

Werecow

Reaction score
title says it all, i play mostly thrash, groove and melodic death metal.
i thought of a jcm800kk or jvm410 or evh 5150iii el34
Why does it have to be EL34? These days the preamp voicing is much more important, especially for the genres you mentioned.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
Out of those I'd pick the JCM800 first and the Peavey second but my actual recommendation for a EL34 amp is a Matamp GT1 and a good boost 😈

It makes all of those other amps sound thin and weak tbh

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i actually wote need recommendations not pick from the ones i listed
If you are in UK/europe you will probably find older marshalls much cheaper than in North America.

I have owned a 1983 JCM800 2203 which wasnt gigged for the types of music you listed, but definitely does it in spades with a boost for more modern tones. Hit a 2203 with a boss SD-1 and its bay area thrash since that's what they were doing.

When I see "thrash, melodic death and groove metal" I honestly dont see a reason to change tone much across those 3 things except maybe thrash and melodeath. This goes double if you are playing home alone and not with a band. Seems to me like this is for home use.

We haven't asked how loud you can play yet (maybe it was posted in another thread). If you cant really turn up much, I think you may be best served with something with a master volume and a JVM, DSL or something else would probably be more beneficial. Running quiet sounds different regardless if you have 1W or 100W.

Worth mentioning the speaker choice is going to affect the tones you get 100x more than the head you choose.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you are in UK/europe you will probably find older marshalls much cheaper than in North America.

I have owned a 1983 JCM800 2203 which wasnt gigged for the types of music you listed, but definitely does it in spades with a boost for more modern tones. Hit a 2203 with a boss SD-1 and its bay area thrash since that's what they were doing.

When I see "thrash, melodic death and groove metal" I honestly dont see a reason to change tone much across those 3 things except maybe thrash and melodeath. This goes double if you are playing home alone and not with a band. Seems to me like this is for home use.

We haven't asked how loud you can play yet (maybe it was posted in another thread). If you cant really turn up much, I think you may be best served with something with a master volume and a JVM, DSL or something else would probably be more beneficial. Running quiet sounds different regardless if you have 1W or 100W.

Worth mentioning the speaker choice is going to affect the tones you get 100x more than the head you choose.
i live in the middle east, my gf is australian tho so i can get stuff from there since shipping doesnt cost much for her, and if she lists it as a gift to me it skips import tax.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

in my curent apartment i got a 40wat solid state that if i turn it past half i get nosie complaints, i do play shows and gonna get a captor x soon, also will probally move to australia soon to live with my girlfriend in a privae house iwth a basement that ill probally put acoustic stuff in so i can turn it all the way up, i do play shows tho and in them we dont really got a volume limit.