need advice on which first spector euro bass to get

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
so my options are spector euro lx (regular or doug wimbish model if they restock it) or euro lt and euro classic, i am going for a 4 string pj althrough the double jo n the euro 5 classic is tempting

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All very different options. Wimbish has a jazz bass width nut Im pretty sure, where other spector 4s have a P width nut. Euro classic has an emg preamp, wimbish and lx have a spector tonepump. Lt has bartolinis and darkglass preamp.

If you're looking for the classic spector sound I would suggest against the LT due to the pickups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All very different options. Wimbish has a jazz bass width nut Im pretty sure, where other spector 4s have a P width nut. Euro classic has an emg preamp, wimbish and lx have a spector tonepump. Lt has bartolinis and darkglass preamp.

If you're looking for the classic spector sound I would suggest against the LT due to the pickups.
Thanks, ill avoid the lt
, from what people told me the euro classic is more like the early euros which instead of the tonepump had an emg preamp

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine has this one:

im21005172645Spector-Euro-LX5-Natural.jpg

And it's hands down the best bass he has. For whatever reason he prefers his USA Fenders, but the neck on the Spector is extremely comfortable, super lightweight, and sounds fantastic. I always tell him that if he ever wants to sell it, it's mine.

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks, ill avoid the lt
, from what people told me the euro classic is more like the early euros which instead of the tonepump had an emg preamp

Ironically Im pretty sure the Tonepump is closer to the HAZ circuit used on vintage and modern USA spectors rather than the EMG preamp used on the classics. But the Euro Classic has an all maple body just like the famous old school Spectors they are modeled after, aside from the Euro Classics being chambered. Nearly all other Spectors these days have an Alder body with some sort of maple top. So there's that to consider, although you know, tonewood?

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ironically Im pretty sure the Tonepump is closer to the HAZ circuit used on vintage and modern USA spectors rather than the EMG preamp used on the classics. But the Euro Classic has an all maple body just like the famous old school Spectors they are modeled after, aside from the Euro Classics being chambered. Nearly all other Spectors these days have an Alder body with some sort of maple top. So there's that to consider, although you know, tonewood?
Yeah ill see with tonewood, its more about denser/harder wood more sustain for me, neckdive is a concern with all maple, i had it in an all maple guitar so it could happrn with bass, Anyway theres a guy on talkbass who makes and sells hazlab clones (not sncpreamp guy).

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I have a pair of Euros. An NS4CR, which is what the Euro Classic is based on (EMGs, BTS and maple wings), and a Euro 4-35, which is a 35” 4 string that originally came with EMG-TW and Tonepump.

The Tonepump is a good sounding preamp, I just find it limiting as its EQ points suck. If you’re fine with those EQ points I think it sounds great, but I replaced mine with an EMG BTS. I also replaced the TW-X with DC-X/CS-X.

I had a P35/J35 in it for a bit, but I didn’t like how the P pickup sounded with the B string. I found the P too weak in the low mids compared to a double coil and it made the B sound like it lacked weight in the mix. I tried swapping the J to the neck and it had better depth but I still wasn’t thrilled. For that reason, if I were to get a 5 string I’d opt for DC/CS or TW over the J/J or a P/J.

In hindsight, I would’ve been fine with the TW pickups. It was the Tonepump that was more the issue for me.

Anyway, if I were looking for a new Spector I’d probably look at the LX or Classic. LX if you want modern exposed wood grain, and Classic if you prefer a solid colour. Preamps can be swapped, so it’s an easy fix if you find you’re not into it or you just want to experiment.