Need advice...Where are my Marshall lovers?

• Thread starter mmr007
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Sorry the reason i ask is the pricing is all over the map for these things …like a used mesa triple rec I know what to expect price-wise and its pretty consistent. But not these.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
So if the front plate says DSL but doesnt say JCM2000 also it is still same amp?

DSL is short for dual super lead, if it's the original version that's what it will say. Marshall re-released them as the DSL-HR or something like that a couple years ago. If it says "DSL" it is the latest version.

Since there's the original dual super lead and the newer DSL, that's probably why you're seeing a big price difference.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
So unless I'm mistaken it looks like the difference could be some were manufactured in England and some in Vietnam...I do understand that makes a difference in price but not sound right? Still the same basic amp, same layout same ability to mod....just that one doesn't say JCM on faceplate.

Sorry to be a pill but to me Marshall is just like Kramer...I know there's a lot of good products and a lot of crap products, but it all looks the same to me and other than a JCM800 I don't know what to steer away from.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
So unless I'm mistaken it looks like the difference could be some were manufactured in England and some in Vietnam...I do understand that makes a difference in price but not sound right? Still the same basic amp, same layout same ability to mod....just that one doesn't say JCM on faceplate.

Sorry to be a pill but to me Marshall is just like Kramer...I know there's a lot of good products and a lot of crap products, but it all looks the same to me and other than a JCM800 I don't know what to steer away from.

I haven't gotten an original DSL next to an HR version to check, but I'd fully expect the HR to sound a bit different. I know the originals sometimes had an issue with something taking out the board IIRC, but sound-wise they were pretty good.

I stand by my suggestion of an FM3.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
The new DSL 100HR has midi and 2 modes per channel, like a 4 channel amp almost. The Ultra channel goes to mud on high gain. Just watched Headfirst do a mod on that amp as well to clear it up.

Alex79

Reaction score
Ok so weird question then since I stated I want a marshall ( and still do) but can my existing amps obtain that sound with that same boost? I have a peavey 5150 and a Randall Diavlo and the only pedal I have is MXR 10 band eq. Those amps are in storage still in another state and it will be a few months before I can bring them out so I cant tweak and test right now but it would be interesting to know if my sound goal is achievable.

You can get closer to the sound by turning the resonance and presence on the 5150 down to very low levels (like 2 or 3) and then just using the EQ for sound shaping - preferably lower settings as well. Also keep the gain quite low, as the Marshalls are nowhere near as saturated (except for the SL-X).
That might get you closer to the sound.

If you use the 10 band-EQ you could also boost some midrange.

Alex79

Reaction score

The newer ones are made in Vietnam and also feature something extra like a low volume switch or something, I think.

Of the mini heads the newer ones have proper big tubes.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
What are your wattage needs? You could get the current production 20w jcm800 Marshall is selling. It's like 1200 new I think?

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
From the experience of trying to get to a specific tone that involves a JCM800 by buying multiple amps that are not a JCM800:

Just

Buy

A

JCM800!

Slap a TS9 or 808 in front, level max, gain 8-9 o'clock and you'll be in the right ball park.

I've just bought one. Haven't done a NAD day as I've bought a fair bit of gear lately. The backstory is that I eventually cracked and bought a JCM800 SC20 (that's the mini head) last year. That thing sounds very, very good. but me being me wanted the real deal so bought the 100w version. Slightly different mids (more low mids) and more bottom end.

For a high gain nut, I love it. Such a versatile amp with great feel and sound. I use my axefx in 4cm and have created a clean channel by using the vol block for cleans (saves me rolling off my volume.

I wish I had bought one sooner. They get a lot of stick but used the right way, sound amazeballs (in my opinion).

Axefx, helix Kemper etc all do it well too. I've owned a DSL and JVM - both will also get you where you want to be but do feel and sound a little different to the 800

yan12

Reaction score
I hate to throw a monkey wrench in but I think the cabinet/speaker choice has lots to do with the end result.

I have some combinations of heads and cabs that clients turn their nose to until they hear them. Then the lightbulb comes on.

I think the head matters less than the cab to my ears. V 30's vs GT-75's....world of difference right there, coupled with old school type distortion which is more a mix or preamp distortion AND the power section...there are quite a few ways to get to the sound you want.

Just remember most of the recordings in those days were done LOUD and analog. A V30 not getting pushed sounds nothing like one being crushed, especially the 16 ohm original version. The point is there are almost too many variables to sort out, especially today.

Good luck on the quest for that tone!