Need Cab IR Recommendations..

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
I am getting back into recording/playing. Need some suggestions on great cab irs. Please make some suggestions.
I primarily use the cameron or 6160 on AXEFX

These tones are what i am after
-
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfx48HT9C0o
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQr8__SPhbs
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVkSF32kK9w
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6_COmXy4E
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtwiDoT0sIg

Thank you

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Whole bunch of good recommendations in ths thread:

zjb7777

Reaction score
A lot of early metalcore was recorded with an overdriven 5150/6505 into a Mesa Oversized cab with V30s. York Audio's Mesa Oversized pack is really good, and you can get some really unique and versatile tones with their ZILA pack, that's my favorite IR pack currently. I've heard good things about Bogren Digital and Ownhammer but haven't tried them yet. I'd recommend Giving York Audio's demo pack a try, only $1 and I've gotten some solid tones with that too, although I much prefer a 2x12 over a 4x12.

vejichan

Reaction score
A lot of early metalcore was recorded with an overdriven 5150/6505 into a Mesa Oversized cab with V30s. York Audio's Mesa Oversized pack is really good, and you can get some really unique and versatile tones with their ZILA pack, that's my favorite IR pack currently. I've heard good things about Bogren Digital and Ownhammer but haven't tried them yet. I'd recommend Giving York Audio's demo pack a try, only $1 and I've gotten some solid tones with that too, although I much prefer a 2x12 over a 4x12.
Which particular irs in those packs do you use.

shredmechanic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OwnHammer just released an updated version of their Mesa Recto OS 4x12 and it sounds exactly like my IRL early 2000's Recto OS 4x12. I highly recommend it

Reaction score
There's a thread with literally thousands of IRs to choose from. I'd suggest you start there before you spend any money. If you can't find anything in there, then nothing will help you

Metropolis

Reaction score
If you don't want something really specific, it's a 4x12 cab with V30's. On Fractal units all the York Audio and ML Soundlab or Ownhammer cabs with a 57 mic near speaker cap or edge work well. Stock FAS cabs are good sounding too. I've got a FM3 myself.

owlexifry

Reaction score
I'd recommend Giving York Audio's demo pack a try, only $1 and I've gotten some solid tones with that too, although I much prefer a 2x12 over a 4x12.
thanks to your recommendation, i gave this a go.
never spent a cent on IRs before, forever been mooching off freebie downloads etc., and most recently, picking from this generous resource:

people talk about choice paralysis with certain amps, but f**k me dead, choosing IRs leaves me absolutely crippled...
so many hours trying new things, only to go back to the same old saved presets that I had settled on previously.
and that's before i've even considered spending money..

like everyone else, all i've ever wanted is a good 4x12 V30 tone.
with all the purchasable options out there, ownhammer, york, bogren, GGD, etc. - i have absolutely no idea which im gonna like, especially when 95% of what i've tried hasn't worked for me (probably user error though...)

anyway, i gotta say i was pretty happy with what i got for $1

for a 2x12, this sounded great:
5220A795-FC64-4785-9167-40053B6DFD59.png
I noticed in this $1 pack, it had x3 distinct categories:
- 'minimal phase'
- 'natural phase'
- 'mixes'
what do these actually mean?

[also just noticed - york have all of their packs on sale atm... US$15 for OS mesa 4x12 - half the price of ownhammer's equivalent. very tempting]

zjb7777

Reaction score
Which particular irs in those packs do you use.
In the ZILA pack, both the V30 and H75 with a 57 sounds great solo, but I also really like to mix them with the 160 on both V30 and H75 in the pack as well.

The 57 sounds fantastic solo or mixed with other mics in the Mesa 2x12 IR pack, and I really like the 421 with the 160 in this pack, a more unique sound IMO.

- 'minimal phase'
- 'natural phase'
- 'mixes'
what do these actually mean?

[also just noticed - york have all of their packs on sale atm... US$15 for OS mesa 4x12 - half the price of ownhammer's equivalent. very tempting]
I've found that Minimum phase works better for mixing IRs together and Natural Phase can sound better on its own, but can still be mix and matched from the same pack. Mixes are preselected combinations that YA provides to give you a feel for the pack before diving deep with all the individual IRs.

With Minimum Phase IRs, you can mix between packs and brands as long as they're minimum phase, as well as mixes with Minimum Phase IRs as the Mixes are all Minimum Phase. Natural Phase may not be time matches across packs and brands and so not sound good in my experience if you mix Natural and Minimum phase.

vejichan

Reaction score
I realize most of my favorite tones are done going thru either a mesa or marshall cab with vintage 30s usually 57mic. Having too many options might not be a good thing. Stick with what cab was used in those songs from the post.

HjR

Reaction score
Hey,
I can highly recommend Kristian Kohle's signature IR pack by Bogren Digital.
I did a shootout with my fav IRs from the pack, you can check below.