Need delay pedal recommendations

• Thread starter KailM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
Greetings. I've never been super into delay pedals for my sound. I bought a TC Electronic Flashback many years ago and it has served me very well, and still is. Mostly, I just use it for its dotted eighth note feature on the modulated delay setting, for some sweet Gilmour "Run Like Hell" type riffs. I pretty much leave it on that setting for really ambient types of playing w/ reverb as well.

In the last couple years or so, I've been working a lot more on my lead playing, and have discovered that a little delay really helps my tone in that department as well. Having said that, I have my Flashback dialed pretty well for my clean stuff, and I find that for leads, I am very picky on how it's set. I'd rather just get another delay pedal that I can leave setup for lead playing.

For lead playing, I seldom use more than two repeats. Just a subtle effect, really -- as I find that if I get even slightly too heavy-handed with it it starts to jumble the notes and sound terrible.

Having not really looked at many delay pedals, I don't really know where to begin. I know that I don't necessarily need something that is hugely versatile, I just need it for a few repeats max, and maybe to add a little warmth to the notes. I don't want to spend over $125, and I'm willing to go used. I've thought about just picking up a Flashback Mini but I think it might be more interesting to try another brand, especially when stacking delays and reverb. Might get a little more texture that way, IDK.

Help me out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Boss dd-3. Used the world over.

rokket2005

Reaction score
If you need a delay strictly for lead stuff I'd get an analog delay. Something like a carbon copy for around $100 is a great pedal. I was going to recommend the Moog MF delay too, but apparently they've shot up in price like 300% since I got mine.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Digitech Obscura. Digitech completely killed it with this one, and they're blowing them out for only $89 on Amazon. You won't find a better delay for the price. It can be super basic, but can also be somewhat experimental. Lots of digital options with analog warmth. Best of both worlds.

Outside of that, i recommend a used Carbon Copy or Vapor Trail. Those are both true analog delays. They sound great, but lack options.

Looks like this dude on TGP is selling his Obscura for only $75. I'd jump on it!
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...box-75-pp-s-and-ventura-vibe-55-pp-s.2085685/

Last edited:

Shask

Reaction score
I have the Digitech DL-8 that is nice for a variety of Delay sounds.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If you already like your Flashback, I would look at the Flashback X4 pedal. It has presets built in, so you can use your same settings that you like for cleans on one switch, then dial in an ambient sound for another, and a lead sound on another. They're really reasonable used as well :2c:

Similarly, the Boss DD-20 goes for around $125 used and also has presets, or look at the DD-5 or DD-3, which are much simpler, but still sound killer.

I also used to gig with an MXR Carbon Copy for my lead sounds and I loved it. They have a mini version now, but the original goes for around $60-80 used. Ibanez also does a good mini analog delay, though I forget the model number.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I've used a bunch of different delays over the years, and I used the Flashback for quite a while and it's a really good pedal! As with you, it served me quite well too. Lately I've used a couple of different delays more predominantly, the Duncan Vapor Trail and the Boss DM-2W. Both are pretty simple to use and work great on leads. I find the Vapor Trail cuts through a bit better for lead work as it's a little brighter than the Boss, at least to my ears.
I've been wanting to check out that mini version of the Carbon Copy mentioned above! I used to use the regular CC on a pedalboard for acoustic guitar gigs I did years back and always really liked it, I wonder how that mini version measures up?

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I love my Vapor Trail. It has an insert jack if you want to send just your delays to either another amp (fun!) or to their own chain of effects (funner!). It is great if you don't need long delay times.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
For form factor and price, a used EQD dispatch master or Keeley caverns would also do what you want within your budget.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I use an Axe-Fx for everything now but Highwind Amplification makes a Voidcaller pedal that a friend of mine uses and it sounds pretty dang sweet. That's all I know though, it sounds good. I don't know if it has the features you may want but check it out.

Shask

Reaction score
Speaking of Rack units, I bought a TC Electronic G Major II for the hell of it a few months ago. It has pretty killer Delays and Reverbs. I bought it because I don't like moving the wires around from my Axe-FX II, lol. You can find these for about the same price as an expensive pedal these days.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've used a bunch of different delays over the years, and I used the Flashback for quite a while and it's a really good pedal! As with you, it served me quite well too. Lately I've used a couple of different delays more predominantly, the Duncan Vapor Trail and the Boss DM-2W. Both are pretty simple to use and work great on leads. I find the Vapor Trail cuts through a bit better for lead work as it's a little brighter than the Boss, at least to my ears.
I've been wanting to check out that mini version of the Carbon Copy mentioned above! I used to use the regular CC on a pedalboard for acoustic guitar gigs I did years back and always really liked it, I wonder how that mini version measures up?

From what I can tell, the mini Carbon Copy is the same circuit as the regular, but also has a mini slider on the side to switch to the "bright" voicing like the Deluxe version.

KailM

Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations fellas -- I've got a lot to check out.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I love the delay in my Keeley Caverns, but it's also a whole reverb section too so idk if you need that.

I have only heard it in videos but I really like the "dark" knob on the JHS Panther/cat type pedals. If they replaced the modulation settings on the delay half of Caverns with a dark knob it would be the ultimate tape-ish delay.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I use an Axe-Fx for everything now but Highwind Amplification makes a Voidcaller pedal that a friend of mine uses and it sounds pretty dang sweet. That's all I know though, it sounds good. I don't know if it has the features you may want but check it out.
Highwind Amplification Voidcaller is apparently a reverb pedal. Oops...

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Keep it simple and sounding great: DD-7 or Carbon Copy. I have the DD-7 and love it. That and the El Capistan are my favs and are both on the board.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
+1 for a Carbon Copy. It has a modulation option that can add some depth, but it's just a really solid and warm sounding analog delay--great for leads.