Need Help Choosing 7 String Guitar!!!!

Nicktimms94

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am currently playing with a 6 string guitar that is tuned to drop A, but i want to get a 7 string because i feel limited, and drop A on a 6 string changes all of the scales, chords, and arpeggios that i use. I have no idea of what brand guitar to get. My one friend always tells me that Schecter is the way to go, but i think that's only because that's what he has. Please give me your opinions, and help me out. Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SjPedro

Reaction score
I say try to find a nice ibanez. A 7620 or a 7621 or 7421 if you don't like trems in the used section of stores or private dealers.
If you want to spend extra the Sterling Jp70 looks badass, or a new ibanez...

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
I gotta say Agile, EBMM JP, Jackson and ESP. All great guitars with great options for you. Whats your price range?

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am currently playing with a 6 string guitar that is tuned to drop A, but i want to get a 7 string because i feel limited, and drop A on a 6 string changes all of the scales, chords, and arpeggios that i use. I have no idea of what brand guitar to get. My one friend always tells me that Schecter is the way to go, but i think that's only because that's what he has. Please give me your opinions, and help me out. Thank you!

The 26.5" scale of a Schecter serves drop A very well.
If you don't like basswood bolt-ons with rosewood fretboards then stay away from Ibanez

See if you can try some guitars before you buy.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
I've had Schecters that once set up correctly were as good as anything really. Well damn good for the money for sure. Schecters come with a lot of quality parts you don't need to replace [ebony boards, tone pros or OFR, EMG or Duncans etc] and new they are in your price range. New is good because depending where you buy you have a return option as part of the sale which can be really important. I have returned/exchanged some gear with American Musical a couple years back and they were easy to work with and no run around. FWIW I also had one of the first Loomis FR back in 2006. Got one of those that had the weird like 10" radius and the strings would fall off the outside of the fret board if you even looked at the string ha. Schecter Customer Service was excellent. They shipped me, next day air, a new Loomis that I have to this day. They paid the shipping back for the first guitar and followed up via phone and email to make sure I was happy.

You could get a new Carvin for $1000 if you stay away from the options that are not free [some are free or very inexpensive].

New CT7 - $1099.00 10 day satisfaction guarantee return/exchange no questions asked. Sweet!
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ct74

New DC700 - $899.00!!! Respectfully, there is no way I'd pay $800 for an Agile when I can get this for $99 more.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/dc700

New DC727 - $849.00 - Can be ordered with the DC700 Head Stock :)
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/dc727

Seen a couple Ibanez 1527 close enough to $1000 used. Yum.

Nicktimms94

Reaction score
Ive never played an Agile guitar before, but ill be sure to check it out. At first i was kind of leaning towards Ibanez just because thats what Joe Satriani and Tosin Abasi use, but i do want to look into other brands now, and test out a few guitars before i make my decision

Epyon6

Reaction score
Ive never played an Agile guitar before, but ill be sure to check it out. At first i was kind of leaning towards Ibanez just because thats what Joe Satriani and Tosin Abasi use, but i do want to look into other brands now, and test out a few guitars before i make my decision

Dont buy a brand ONLY because some players you like play them. Not to say that Ibanez is bad because I just got a RG927 and I love the thing to death. Just try out as many different guitars as you can and see whats confortable for you, I also love my ESP LTD MH 417 I cantr decide which I love more.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Yeah, don't just get an Ibanez because your favorites use them.

Get an Ibanez because they fucking rule.