Need Help Picking a 2nd Noise Gate Pedal

• Thread starter apadua
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

apadua

Reaction score
I just picked up a regular ISP decimator to use in front of my Mesa Boogie Triple Rec (2 channel) which has a parallel loop.

Now I am looking for options to get rid of some noise in the FX loop. The reason why I didn't pick the G String decimator was b/c I read it was designed to work with series FX loop.

Here are what I am look at:

• Another ISP Decimator
  • Boss NS-2
  • MXR Smart Gate
  • MXR noise clamp
Our band is in the Deftones/Tool type sounding stuff.. Here is my chain

In front of Amp
Guitar ->Whammy XP100->Bad Horsie II-> TS9DX->Fender Blender ->MXR Comp

In Loop
MXR EVH phase 90->EHX Small Stone->EHX Pulsar Tremolo->Boss Space Echo->Boss GE-7

Thanks,

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
If you're just getting rid of the noise in the effects loop, the noise gate you pick isn't as important as the one you choose for the front. Since you have some effects in the loop, you're basically looking for two requirements from the pedal. It needs to be true bypass, and create as little tone loss/noise when on as possible. I use the NS-2 for my loop, and it works perfectly fine in my opinion.

Reaction score
do what I did, forget in front and stick the isp in the loop ....done

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
do what I did, forget in front and stick the isp in the loop ....done

Well, I mean... I've never tried a mesa rec without a gate in the front. But with my 6505+... it's just not possible.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Never put a noise gate in the end of the loop if you are using time based effects as it'll fuck up the repeats.
Put it first and set the loop too 100% wet if possible, if not the gate won't be much use.