Need Help With Momentary Killswitch Wiring!

• Thread starter indrangelion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

indrangelion

You guys are funny
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm currently putting the electronics together for my Tele. Configuration:

- 2 Hums
- 3 Way Tele switch
- 1 Master Volume
- 1 LED Momentary Killswitch
- Stereo Jack

I'm having problems hooking the killswitch to the rest of the circuit. I have a pic and a small diagram of the switch in question.

Killswitch_zps9c3dbfd4.jpg

I already hooked up the LED pin 1 and LED pin 2 to a 12v power source, and light is on :yesway:

I'm not too familiar with the "normally open/closed" terminologies, but does that mean I have to actually wire NO to C like it suggests in the diagram? Then what should I do with NC if I opt for this option?

I also have a stereo jack, so that I could wire it so that the light only turns on when the lead enters the jack. This bit is not a problem at all.

LightsUp_zps64b0c80b.jpg

Thank you in advance for all your help! :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shogunate

Reaction score
Wire the signal wire to C (common) and the output to NC (normally closes).
Common is the terminal for the signal path, you will always have something connected here.
Normally closed means when you're NOT pushing on the button, it will "close" the circuit, letting the signal through. When you push the button it will "open" the circuit, disconnecting them and stopping the signal.
Meaning when you're playing, you'll have sound, when you push the button, it will kill the sound. I'm assuming that's what you were going for.

If you wired it to C and NO (normally open), it will mean the opposite, and the signal will only get through when you're actively pushing the button.

In this application, there's no need to wire any of the terminals together.
Let me know if this explanation makes sense, I've made killswitches on guitars and worked on arcade games that use these switches all day long :lol:

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Everything Shogunate is true, but it should also matter how you install it. I wire my kill switches between the output and ground, and have it normally open, and when I press it it closes the circuit and grounds the signal.

I should add that sometimes if you have a lower quality switch (which it looks like you do not have) it will cause a popping sound when wiring it like Shogunate suggested, hence why I wire mine like I do, just to be safe.

Though I am curious and may as well satisfy my curiosity, how do you have the light only turn on when the jack is plugged in? I assume you just grounded it to stereo plug, and like active pickups, only draws power when the jack is plugged in, which completes the circuit.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Necrobump!!!

I'm wanting to install a latching version of one of these into an RG2228 as a blower switch. I'd like to have it work in one of two of the following ways:

-Light up [only] when engaged
-Light up when plugged in

I imagine I can use the EMGs' 9v?

I pretty much know what to do w the blower switch portion.