Need help with progressive metal mix

• Thread starter -Continuum-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Continuum-

Reaction score
Sup, I've been working on this track today and I'm not entirely satisfied with the lack of clarity in the guitar track and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can solve this just so it sits better. God knows what frequencies I am using on it for the 2 eq's I run it through but any trained ears out there might be able to help with hearing what to boost and what to cut to help bring it to life a touch.

Heres the track I've uploaded to a secondary Soundcloud account.
Click Meh

Let me know what ya think. It's still a work in progress mind but it has enough of it there to give you a feel of where it's going.

Peace

-Also any moderators who stumble upon this read this. It shows a really straightforward way to add a soundcloud button to the forum so you can play the tracks without leaving sevenstring.
SoundCloud » SoundCloud player in forums (5-step guide for SoundCloud BB code)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Continuum-

Reaction score
The problem is that I am limited by what I can achieve with Guitar Rig 5 as all my tone and effects are digital. If I cut the gain to much I end up with a far worse sound as you still have the muddy quality to it but without any power behind it- although I'm sure I can probably find a happy medium with enough experimentation.

Anyone have any tonal suggestions to add before I go and edit my presets?

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
If backing off the gain makes it sound worse you're doing something wrong.

Also, have you tried LePou plugins or Impulses instead of guitar rig?

Can't listen right now, but generally if your guitar tone isn't cutting enough you're using the wrong amp for the style, or dialed the tone incorrectly (usually not enough mids), or aren't leaving enough space in the midrange for the guitars.

Find a sweet spot for the guitar tone and remove a couple of dB of that from some of the other tracks

smoogle510

Reaction score
Simply less gain. More midrange. Get the guitar in its sweet spot and the guitars will stick out way better and sound more clear...
Also it sounds like theres no bass. The bass plays a big role in making the guitars sound bigger and just overall better. Try adding some bass in the mix.