Need some 5150 advice.

• Thread starter avenger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
So I got my 5150 setup finally and I am looking for some advice on acheiving a good brutal tone.

My setup right now is RR5->TU2->SD1->Decimator->5150PRE->GE7->5150POST.

I am only running through my little orange right now (v30) until I can get my hands on an oversized recto.

I have nailed a solid thrash sound on it but cant seem to get it to that brutal face ripping ball kicking level.

I find the SD1 adds a ton of fizz and didnt really make all that much of a differance. Abit of thickening but not alot at all.

MY settings are:

LEADPRE: 4.5
LOW: 6.5
MID: 5.5
HIGH: 6
RES: 7.5
PRES: 7

Cant really comment on tubes as I got it used but the guy has retubed it within the past 2 months.

What should I be hitting with the GE7 in the loop to maybe add some balls to the sound. As it stands I think the amp sounds best with just the decimator and guitar.

Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
A better cab would definitely help. I don't think the ge7 is necessary. I'd try running it into the isp then straight into the head. Maybe try turning the gain up a bit? And the volume to at least 3(9:00).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Put the post to 3, feel the noise.

Also, use your ears :yesway:

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Volume needs to be past 4 to come "alive".

Power amp volume that is. It is very loud, hide the bongs in case cops break in lulz.

Necky379

Reaction score
what pups are you using?

ive got an sc607b with a 707 in the bridge and ive recently found that an eq right after the guitar before your boost/tuner/noise gate does great things for tweaking your tone to perfection. im using a 15 band graphic eq and im diping out a few mid bands a bit, and cutting extreme lows and highs. this is in addition to a ge7 in the loop boosting the mids. ive found this to tame the fizz and add a ton of clarity. night and day with clarity. i really believe that a lot of the fizz in these amps comes from the preamp mids. adding a boost in front of the amp and using mid spiked pups adds to it imho. the best way to battle this is to lose some of the guitar's mids (using an eq right after it), keep the boost running high, lower the amp's mids, and bring them back up with an eq after the preamp in the loop (ge7). my current amp eq settings are low:6 mid:3 high:6 res:4.5 pres:5. most people say to run the amp's mids high but i think it's better to keep them lower and add mids from other sources (boost and ge7). again this is just what is working for me, it may or may not be what you're looking for but give it a try if you're having problems with fizz and clarity.

grogarage

stay metal
Reaction score
owning a 6505 2x12 combo, i'v tried many ways to refine my tone, like an mxr 10 band eq in the loop or in front but always came back to the basic guitar-ts(or equivalent)-ns2-amp set-up. Often, less is best. :hbang:

xjasonhowellx81

Reaction score
You mentioned that the guy retubed it a couple months before purchasing if I read that correct. If I were you, I would order a single Tung Sol 12AX7 for the V1 spot (closest to your input) and replace whatever else is in there. Then run a tube screamer, and noise gate in front of the amp. I have an '88 HM-2 that I like to throw in once in a while to get a real thick slam tone, but normally I'm just running a tuner, gate, and ts9. my settings are pretty much identical to yours, but I run my Resonance at 7.5 and my Presence at 8.5. My gain is always between 4.5 and 5. I would definitely try the Tung Sol though.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing to lose trying a new V1 12ax7. I'd suggest trying a few out if you can shell out 50 or 60. Even with the same brand and tube model you will sometimes get one that just works/compliments your tone goal better than the others. Any that your left with will make fine backups for the other positions, V2.V3, ect..

avenger

Reaction score
thanks for the tips, I think I will try a new tube in V1 slot the amp just isn't kicking me in the nuts as hard as id like. Kinda pissed at it after spending all that fucking moeny on cables that I don't even need. ARGH!

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
A TS style pedal will do wonders as a boost. I never liked the SD1 as a boost.

I run:

Bass - 6
Mids - 7
Treb - 4

Try boosting the RHYTHM channel.